DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why can't I take a pano with 2x zoom.

Cima

Reactions
Hi there, I just got a Mavic 2 Zoom and can't use the 2x zoom while taking panoramas.
Each time you make a Pano the camera goes wide open and only then shoots which means final image with big distortion.
Do you think there is a way of going around this?
Super resolution takes the photos fully zoomed in and stitches them back together, why cant it just do the same for normal vertical /horizontal Panoramas?
Do you think it can it be fixed via firmware update?
Cheers!

Hi there, I just got a Mavic 2 Zoom and can't use the 2x zoom while taking panoramas.
Each time you make a Pano the camera goes wide open and only then shoots which means final image with big distortion.
Do you think there is a way of going around this?
Super resolution takes the photos fully zoomed in and stitches them back together, why cant it just do the same for normal vertical /horizontal Panoramas?
Do you think it can it be fixed via firmware update?
Cheers!

I guess you can try doing it manually. You can visit the DJI forum and make a suggestion for zoomed pans.

Reactions: Cima
I hav
I guess you can try doing it manually. You can visit the DJI forum and make a suggestion for zoomed pans.
I have to agree with ff22 - The Pano Idea is to get as much into the Pic as Possible.
- So in ZOOM (optical 2x max ) - even though the resolution is Pure - DJI probably figured - WHY ? - if the idea is to get MORE Viewing than normal.

- But I GET IT … you want the High resolution 2x made into a PANO - with the clearest truest possible view - ...
Therefore - as DJI have Hardcoded the Drone to shoot in Normal (1x) - which they may change... You Only have a MANUAL Option for this-

TO help with Quick Stitching - … Export yr Pics into one folder and Use Microsoft ICE - for the STITCH - … Its REALLY Good (not perfect - but really good) Hope this Helps - Click here to Get it - MS (ICE)

Reactions: Cima and ff22
Thank you guys! It is true I can always do it manually hehehe
But would be nice if like SuperResolution they would just give you that ability. I guess i will just take them manually !

Reactions: ff22
Anybody some example with such pano?
How is the equi. resolution 35.000 px wide?

A pano is going to rely on the edges of the frames overlapping and the camera being pointed in precise directions. If you zoom, then in effect, you are reducing the amount of the frame that the camera is seeing and therefore it would lose the ability to stitch the frames together - unless you have more 'stop' points in the pano process. You could only do this by restricting the zoom to a fixed amount e.g. 2x - and having more camera 'stop' points in the pano' process. In other words, you'd have to have a completely different algorithm for every zoom point you wanted to use.

Of course we need more rows and columns. But this is really so hard to implement in 2020 with such precise drones and gimbals? I don't think so :)

Of course we need more rows and columns. But this is really so hard to implement in 2020 with such precise drones and gimbals? I don't think so :)
It's not just that you'd need more rows and columns, it's that you'd need more rows and columns for EVERY zoom point.
You could go old fashioned, and make a panorama by manually overlapping frames rather than leaving it to the 'robot' - like we used to do in the old days! o_O

"you'd need more rows and columns for EVERY zoom point. "

I don't see what's the difference compared to what i sayed. Currently i use 4 rows and 8 columns with a 24mm camera.
With a 2x tele lens i need 8 rows 16 columns and of course 4x more time to shoot. Cannot imagine why not possible.
In the old fashioned days i used just single row (!), yaw trim on the remote and my hero 3+ was in 1sec timelapse mode :)
Which you cannot do even with M2P because shortest interval is 2sec.. Recording was finished within half minute.

Sorry to dig up an old dead thread - but would this work (making a pano while the camera is zoomed in) in Litchi?
Absolutely.

After having my M2Z in storage for a couple years, I've discovered the beauty of 180 degree pano's using the M2Z, zoomed in to 48mm, and using Litchi to create a panorama in any horizonal and vertical degree. The M2Z (when zoomed in) gives panos more pixels per inch than an M2P when shot from the same spot.

I'm still in the experimentation phase, but did an 8 column x 4 row 180 degree vertical / 80 degree vertical pano, stitching them together using PTGui on Windows. After seeing the bending distortion on the bottom row (my goal is a rectilinear photo), I discarded the bottom row, and ended up with an 8 x 3 image, resulting is a 18920 x 7846 image (148MP).

Litchi is an ideal solution for this.

Reactions: Felix le Chat
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato