DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why did dji go app ask if I was using a prop guard mid flight?!

Kiwifruit

Reactions
Hi all,

Got a warning message pop up twice during my last flight. It was something along the lines of 'are you using a prop guard, then lots of writing, then a yes no section'. I wasn't/never have used a prop guard so I'm confused as to why it asked.

I was running out of battery so couldn't read the message properly. If anyone knows why it popped up, or knows what it said, that'd be really useful!

There is a setting within DJIGO4 that may be turned on and its called Prop Cage. If that was somehow accidentally turned on then "perhaps" the reason for the message.

Have you added weight or other stuff on the aircraft? That message would mean it's sensing it doesn't fly with normal dynamics. Lights, GPS trackers etc can cause it.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Battery was around 16%. No extra weight added. If there was extra weight added the warning about payload would come up no? Not one asking about prop guard.

My props are in quite bad condition, so maybe that had something to do with it?

Well, then maybe it's because your broken rotors can not produce enough lift, as would normally be the case with the same engine speeds?

I can well imagine that the IMU can calculate this or put it in relation.

Where you flying face to the sun? That could be a reason...

I was guessing that with low battery (<20%), the voltage drop is no longer linear. I thought maybe the large drop in voltage is assumed that there's an increase in load, and the drone thinks its got prop guards. I am just guessing here. I know with my batteries, while doing a discharge cycle, below 10% battery, even though motors aren't spinning, battery % drops really quickly. It went down to 5% in 10s, while just being on, while I held it with my hand.

I run prop guards and have it selected in the go4 app. It will ask me by the time I ascend to 30'. I think it does it as a verification if you have it preselected.

Why does it care?
It's going to upset the feedback provided by the 'Gain' settings and tho' I've never used prop-guard cages, I'm sure the drone needs to be on a different gain set to keep stability correct. The cages will interrupt the airflow through the prop's and produce a load of drag ...

Reactions: Weaponized
One time I got a message that read something like " no prop guard installed, may effect flight performance" . (Mavic air) .

A little more on this... My drone is an inspection bird and I never fold it or remove the prop cages. I'm on a little vacation and I decided to fold the drone, store in the bag and leave the prop cages at home so I could do some recreational flying.

Took a flight this morning for an aerial of the cabin and as soon as the bird left the deck it started fluttering and jumping all over the place so I immediately landed and thought.. OK maybe I bent a prop stuffing it in the bag.

Installed new props and it did the same thing and then I remembered I had the setting turned on for the prop cages. Turned that setting off, put the old props back on, and sure enough that was the problem.

Also of note is that I thought I was in sport mode.. the thing was so fast and responsive, but it wasn't. It turns out that the prop cage setting changes the algorithm and slows stick input it seems.

Last edited:

Pretty sure you hit the nail on the head here....

If your props are causing your bird to question prop dynamics, you may want to re-consider your replacement schedule. I’m sure you’d agree if a prop shreds itself in mid-air and you witness your bird come crashing down over $15.

Friendly Soapbox rant over.

Reactions: Kiwifruit
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu