DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why do I want to get a 107 cert?

In aviation, there are different classifications of pilots—the private pilot, commercial, and ATP rating. There is also the instrument and multi-engine ratings. The 107 does nothing but allow someone to use the drone commercially. If I publish a video I found that someone took with a drone inside Yosemite park the FAA isn't going to say anything about it. I think some people are making mountains out of molehills when it comes to the 107. I have dealt with the FAA a few times and they are not big brother with a hammer looking for who they can nail. Reality is fly safe, use some common sense, and nobody important will mess with you. Now ignore the rules and endanger people you will eventually get nailed.

Reactions: Walleye Hunter
In aviation, there are different classifications of pilots—the private pilot, commercial, and ATP rating. There is also the instrument and multi-engine ratings. The 107 does nothing but allow someone to use the drone commercially. If I publish a video I found that someone took with a drone inside Yosemite park the FAA isn't going to say anything about it. I think some people are making mountains out of molehills when it comes to the 107. I have dealt with the FAA a few times and they are not big brother with a hammer looking for who they can nail. Reality is fly safe, use some common sense, and nobody important will mess with you. Now ignore the rules and endanger people you will eventually get nailed.
You have just laid out a perfect case for why we would be better off if more people got their 107. You have years of flight experience and are highly familiar with how airspace works. You have known what goes on in the NAS for so long it seems like common knowledge to you.

The typical TRUST holding 44809 pilot doesn't have a clue about airspace beyond the fact that the sky is blue and they fly up there.

I do have my 107 and am entirely uninterested in doing commercial work but I love the fact that the FAA made me far more aware of what all is really going on in airspace and why the rules exist in order to pass my exam. At least in my mind this an awareness issue and the gap between what I knew when I first bought a drone and what I know after passing my exam isn't a small one. I still stand as an ignorant fool compared to what you have learned as a pilot with tons of flight hours.

Reactions: Torque
Just to clarify, the $175 is a one time only charge. After that, you will have to certify every 2 years online and it’s free.
Interesting - I did not know that - thanks for letting me know. It doesn't really change my decision, but it does tilt a bit more in favor of getting a 107 cert - especially if it provides other perks.

You have just laid out a perfect case for why we would be better off if more people got their 107. You have years of flight experience and are highly familiar with how airspace works. You have known what goes on in the NAS for so long it seems like common knowledge to you.

The typical TRUST holding 44809 pilot doesn't have a clue about airspace beyond the fact that the sky is blue and they fly up there.

I do have my 107 and am entirely uninterested in doing commercial work but I love the fact that the FAA made me far more aware of what all is really going on in airspace and why the rules exist in order to pass my exam. At least in my mind this an awareness issue and the gap between what I knew when I first bought a drone and what I know after passing my exam isn't a small one. I still stand as an ignorant fool compared to what you have learned as a pilot with tons of flight hours.
However my aviation background did not prepare me for some of the problems with drone operations. The issue on this forum is to make us all better at whatever we do, safer, and more knowledgeable. Much of my flying career was flying a crop duster, and that has nothing to do with drones other than we fly lower.

I think anyone who has a prosumer drone should have some official certificate that says you are aware and have knowledge of the current FAA laws. I have my part 107 but I think the system is back asswards. I know where when and how to fly safely and make use of that knowledge. A recreational flyer can get a drone and pop it up 400' in class D airspace without LAANC clearance and not having the knowledge a part 107 flyer has.

I think anyone who has a prosumer drone should have some official certificate that says you are aware and have knowledge of the current FAA laws. I have my part 107 but I think the system is back asswards. I know where when and how to fly safely and make use of that knowledge. A recreational flyer can get a drone and pop it up 400' in class D airspace without LAANC clearance and not having the knowledge a part 107 flyer has.
Recreational pilots have something called a TRUST test. It is sufficient for the bulk of recreational pilot activities. Can't account for the rest of what people may or may not do.

No, but they must have the knowledge a TRUST certificate demonstrates, and the FAA considers that sufficient to fly recreationally.

Given the superb safety record for recreational drone flights, now going on a decade, seems the FAA knows what they're doing. This record persists despite the explosion in recreational drone ownership and flights over the last decade.

And the TRUST requirement is relatively recent.

I have a ticket, no longer current. I've passed the FAA written and flight exams. I already know what's in the 107 material.

I strongly disagree that the depth of knowledge in 107 is necessary in any way to safely have recreational drone pilots among us. I think the FAA has got this just about right, and the safety results show it. In fact, I think the recreational rules are too restrictive, particularly in the area of BVLOS and FPV, and could be relaxed a little. Maybe an add-on enhancement to the basic TRUST cert with a bit more training involved. 107 isn't necessary.

A recreational pilot can not do what you describe unknowingly with a TRUST certificate, which they're required to have, so torturing them by requiring p107 certification would make no difference.

Reactions: mavic3usa
If I don't plan to ever fly commercially, only recreationally?

Hypothetical reason: BVLOS flight gets added to 107 capabilites.

Thanks in advance 107 pilots for your thoughts.
That's a dumb question. Do some research then ask. Everyone should get it irregardless to be better pilot. It takes very little time and money to do so.

Not to mention the required TRUST certificate (for ALL drone operators) that my 14 and 13 year old got in 10 minutes is laughable and simply not enough.

• Wow
Recreational pilots have something called a TRUST test. It is sufficient for the bulk of recreational pilot activities. Can't account for the rest of what people may or may not do.
It is not even close to sufficient. It takes 5-10 minutes to obtain.

• Angry
Reactions: mavic3usa
The people down at the AMA seem to think they are the only ones that know how to fly anything RC. And if has had a notion around the AMA that if you aren't flying at our fields we'll make you get a part 107.

• Haha
If a recreational pilot uses some common sense, I see no need for them to have a commercial license. The key here is common sense, and that is something that is lacking in some people.

If a recreational pilot uses some common sense, I see no need for them to have a commercial license. The key here is common sense, and that is something that is lacking in some people.
Common Sense plus the important rules education about 400ft ceiling, use of B4UFLY to check flight restrictions, and some other specific stuff in the TRUST cert process.

Seems to be meeting the safety outcome the public demands. The stats for small recreational UAVs are remarkably safe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman