DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why do I want to get a 107 cert?

Droning on and on...

Reactions
If I don't plan to ever fly commercially, only recreationally?

Hypothetical reason: BVLOS flight gets added to 107 capabilites.

Thanks in advance 107 pilots for your thoughts.

Part 107 pilots can fly 400' over the highest object in certain airspace - Class G (not all airspace)

You aren't flying commercially you don't need it. However getting a basic understanding of aviation and rules is a good thing. Best of luck to you.

You aren't flying commercially you don't need it. However getting a basic understanding of aviation and rules is a good thing. Best of luck to you.
I'm a no longer current VFR private pilot (which you didn't know). I wouldn't benefit much from a knowledge perspective getting a 107. I've been over the 107 material and didn't see anything new.

However, there are other capabilities being studied, like BVLOS that I mentioned, that might justify it, if that happens.

I'm a no longer current VFR private pilot (which you didn't know). I wouldn't benefit much from a knowledge perspective getting a 107. I've been over the 107 material and didn't see anything new.

However, there are other capabilities being studied, like BVLOS that I mentioned, that might justify it, if that happens.
I'm a lapsed VFR pilot, too. My primary motivation to get the Part 107 rating was to be able to shoot photos and videos for some non-profit groups. Paying work was secondary. And it's good not to have to worry about whether what you're doing is commercial or recreational. One significant benefit is that it makes it easier to gain access to places to fly and puts people at ease about you flying nearby. Folks take you more seriously and are more comfortable if you tell them you have an "FAA commercial drone license."

As you imply, at some point in the future as drones become more numerous and more capable, I suspect that there will be significant changes to drone pilot licensing, including some general accommodation of BVLOS operations, that favor Part 107 rating holders.

Go for it.

BVLOS gets added to a 107 cert? I don't know how I missed that detail. Are there distance restrictions, other than what the drone can return from?

BVLOS gets added to a 107 cert
You must be a part 107 pilot in order to obtain an "FAA waiver to fly beyond line of sight". It is not automatically allowed. and therefore must be approved by the FAA

You must be a part 107 pilot in order to obtain an "FAA waiver to fly beyond line of sight". It is not automatically allowed. and therefore must be approved by the FAA
Thanks. Is the waiver temporary or permanent?

BVLOS gets added to a 107 cert? I don't know how I missed that detail. Are there distance restrictions, other than what the drone can return from?
Future speculation...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Torque
I usually don’t get involved with speculations but BVLOS is well down my list of benefits 107 pilots (might eventually) have. Much higher on MY list is 1.) it made me a safer pilot. 2.) it allows me to fly and legally share my photos with our church and other community groups as noted above. 3.). it educated me regarding what the drone laws REALLY are as opposed to the mythical “I thinks” that we hear so much of. 4.) Although I don’t actively seek commercial work, when it comes my way, I can legally accept it if I choose.

I have had two BVLOS waivers; both were for specific jobs. They were not an open door to fly as far out as I wanted wherever I wanted. Both were in very remote locations (very large farms). Once RID gets fully implemented, we will see the restrictions eased a bit. Most likely you will need to file a flight plan. I could envision it to be much like filing an IFR flight plan where ATC, at the very least, monitors the flight. That brings up another question, communication with ATC, and that could be a whole new can of worms.
Personally, if I wasn't doing commercial work I would just let my 107 laps. I'm way beyond the max age for commercial aviation.

Then you have the knowledge so I wouldn't worry about it and save yourself some money, and dealing with big brother.

@Dbez1 I like the point about if something "commercial" comes up, you have flexibility. The church photos are an example... I will admit to having video I've shot used, with my permission, to promote a friend's dance class business (overhead outdoor shots of a class held in a park). It was just helping out a friend, but I suppose it was illegal.

Reactions: Dbez1
@Dbez1 I like the point about if something "commercial" comes up, you have flexibility. The church photos are an example... I will admit to having video I've shot used, with my permission, to promote a friend's dance class business (overhead outdoor shots of a class held in a park). It was just helping out a friend, but I suppose it was illegal.
IMO, the whole thing is ridiculous. If you took the footage for fun (recreation) but THEN, someone saw it and said, "I could use that if you let me", all is good but if someone said, "It would be great if you could shoot this footage for me", and you did and gave it to them, it's illegal.

IMO, the whole thing is ridiculous. If you took the footage for fun (recreation) but THEN, someone saw it and said, "I could use that if you let me", all is good but if someone said, "It would be great if you could shoot this footage for me", and you did and gave it to them, it's illegal.
Too bad you made that statement because you're going to trigger some folks. I agree 100% with you but alot of drone pilots are going to fight you on this one. Some will say you knew your content could eventually be used for commercial purposes and others will say if you ultimately get paid for it or post it on youtube, the video is converted and part 107 is needed.

I've always said the flight is forever tagged based on your intent when the flight originated and that's on day 1. The status of the videos or the photos don't change over the days and weeks depending on their usage; in general, once a recreational video, always a recreational video.

I usually don’t get involved with speculations but BVLOS is well down my list of benefits 107 pilots (might eventually) have. Much higher on MY list is 1.) it made me a safer pilot. 2.) it allows me to fly and legally share my photos with our church and other community groups as noted above. 3.). it educated me regarding what the drone laws REALLY are as opposed to the mythical “I thinks” that we hear so much of. 4.) Although I don’t actively seek commercial work, when it comes my way, I can legally accept it if I choose.

At this point, I've kind of taken a "hybrid" approach to the 107 cert. Since I have zero intent on doing anything commercial, I don't see the point. I do see the point in the 107 INFORMATION being valuable and making me a better pilot, but I don't see the point in me spending $175 (or more) every 2 years. What I've done is studied the 107 info and taken quite a few of the practice tests and done very well. It did expose me to a bunch of things I never really understood and I think that makes me a better pilot.

If there are other perks for a 107 cert at some point in the future I will re-evaluate my decision.

At this point, I've kind of taken a "hybrid" approach to the 107 cert. Since I have zero intent on doing anything commercial, I don't see the point. I do see the point in the 107 INFORMATION being valuable and making me a better pilot, but I don't see the point in me spending $175 (or more) every 2 years. What I've done is studied the 107 info and taken quite a few of the practice tests and done very well. It did expose me to a bunch of things I never really understood and I think that makes me a better pilot.

If there are other perks for a 107 cert at some point in the future I will re-evaluate my decision.
I keep hearing that one day (after RID settles in), the 107 pilots will have access to BVLOS and recreational pilots will not. Reminds of the old days when a bright line was drawn between the two; not so much today. As a result, what I believe will end up happening is more of the same what we have today: Recreational pilots continue to fly BVLOS but won't be so apprehensive about it (if they are also running RID, as long as that is the primary factor).

..I do see the point in the 107 INFORMATION being valuable and making me a better pilot, but I don't see the point in me spending $175 (or more) every 2 years.
Just to clarify, the $175 is a one time only charge. After that, you will have to certify every 2 years online and it’s free.

The biggest advantage for someone that is not doing regular commercial work is to whip out the license when someone of authority asks why you’re doing something. Well, I have a license that says I know what I’m doing. You get a bit more credit that way compared to a TRUST certificate.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2