DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WHY do people call it 'MISSIONS'???

Reactions
Just putting this out there.
It annoys the heck out of me to have grown adults talking about flying 'missions' with their drone. You're not a bloody fighter jet pilot going into enemy territory at mach 2, launching missiles.
You're flying a flippin drone. A camera with propellors on top. Over your neighbours backyard or the local woods.
I know it's got loads of tech and that turns people on with their geek vibes, and that's fine, I fly drones myself for both profit and pleasure.
But pur-lease, if you aren't using it in some kind of military combat role, it's a 'flight' at a stretch, not a freaking mission.

Ah, I do feel better now.

Who agrees? Or even disagrees...

Last edited:
I think I would like to address your concern if I may.
But even before that. Welcome to the forum.
The knowledge that you will bring will be welcome to many of us.
As you stated, you have flown these remarkable pieces of technology for both fun and profit. That is really awesome.
Now back to the subject at hand.
This is the first time I have flown ANYTHING, but have used the term “Mission” many times during my Military career for a bunch of crazy **** projects I was involved in.
From setting up ranges at home station to planning overseas combat/non-combat engagements of any sort.
Where I am going with this, is it is nothing more than a classification of something you are planning for, and executing in a professional manner.
I believe it also adds a maturity level to what we are doing, as opposed to **** around with these expensive birds and making a jack **** of ones’s self doing it.
But I also see that you are 22.
My vote is I agree

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a mission and the word "mission" is not age restricted :). 3rd party vendors (Litchi for one) call them "missions"
What do you prefer to call them?

It annoys the heck out of me to have grown adults talking about flying 'missions' with their drone. You're not a bloody fighter jet pilot going into enemy territory at mach 2, launching missiles.
You're flying a flippin drone. A camera with propellors on top. Over your neighbours backyard or the local woods.
I know it's got loads of tech and that turns people on with their geek vibes, and that's fine, I fly drones myself for both profit and pleasure.
[removed by moderator]

Anyway nice to see a new member who just joined come on here RANTING - maybe send an email to Autel as well because Waypoints is called Mission on their drones as well

Last edited:
Reactions: OkieDoc and SeaPig
I served and "mission" was not a word that was frequented. I think the trauma drama freaks of Hollywood really blew that word out of proportion. Having said that, I really don't have a problem with it. It may seem a little adolescent but I'm venturing into my fifth or sixth phase of adolescence. I think it's a fun word. I use it in jest to put a faux criticality on something I or another person is doing. When my wife is on a mission it's time run for the doghouse and slam the door behind me.

You're probably right ;)
My point exactly 😉
Most definitely! Us bloody Yanks are a crazy group on a mission. 🤭

All joking aside I tend to call it a flight if I am totally controlling the aircraft. If I am using a programmed flight that allows me to concentrate more on the camera control (CCC routes for us Yuneec pilots), I call it a mission.

So flight, mission, or aerial jaunt encompass the same action of launching, flying, and recovering the aircraft (drone, UAV, UAS, quad, hex, etc.).

It is a mission and the word "mission" is not age restricted :). 3rd party vendors (Litchi for one) call them "missions"
What do you prefer to call them?
They're just 'flights'. That's it.
Grammatically you are correct, mission technically defines the activity, but as others mentioned it's got James Bond and Hollywood high octane connotations.
The sort of thing kids playing make believe soldiers might say.
The fact that vendors use the word, just shows they're in touch with the language that excites their clientele.
Maybe it's the UK - US language gap...
Thanks for taking the time to respond in any event 😀

Actually I only use "mission/missions" for waypoint... uh, missions! It's also what Autel calls waypoint "flights"
Screenshot_20230114_231911_Autel Explorer.jpg

Anything under "Camera" is a flight, but a programmed "mission" fits the moniker because it's programmed, at least it makes some sense to me whether the title is overkill or too technical in nature, I suppose "waypoint flights" is technically less descriptive, but perhaps not as pretentious. For that matter, we could call NASA launches flights. It wouldn't be incorrect, but the higher the tecnical requirement the less it fits. If Apollo 11 was a 'Flight" who flew it? If a drone can be set to continue the programmed flight
upon loss of signal, who is "flying" the drone? A pilot well versed if flying an Airbus 380 would probably never dream of calling his trips "missions" even though his or her tecnical prowess is beyond most of the population. In the end it comes down to semantics, and I think people should be free to use the descriptive term they believe is appropriate without concern of ridicule. Just my 2 cents.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230114_231911_Autel Explorer.jpg
    Screenshot_20230114_231911_Autel Explorer.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
But pur-lease, if you aren't using it in some kind of military combat role, it's a 'flight' at a stretch, not a freaking mission.

They do it to annoy people who care about what other people call things. Do you have a better term? Why do you assume "mission" means a jet fighter going into enemy territory or has to do with fighting? A "mission" is a "flight" with a particular set of goals in mind. If you have no goal then I guess you have no "mission".

I call it that because I use it for Search and Rescue and typically am given a "mission" to search a particular set of locations to clear it. What would you suggest?

Glad you feel better though over something so trivial and benign.

They do it to annoy people who care about what other people call things. Do you have a better term? Why do you assume "mission" means a jet fighter going into enemy territory or has to do with fighting? A "mission" is a "flight" with a particular set of goals in mind. If you have no goal then I guess you have no "mission".

I call it that because I use it for Search and Rescue and typically am given a "mission" to search a particular set of locations to clear it. What would you suggest?

Glad you feel better though over something so trivial and benign.
Thank you for your sympathy; it's a painful subject.

It's a 'flight'.

Granted, for Search and Rescue, 'mission' is an appropriate term. An assignment to locate the casualty.

It's the regular folk taking videos of the local marina and rabbiting on about hitting a tree whilst 'flying a mission' that smacks of make believe play and which I find trez cringeworthy.

Just my opinion and I'm open to the possibility that I'm the odd one out here.

• Sad
Reactions: slozukimc
If you had an Enterprise drone like the Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual, as I did, the control app includes what DJI call ”Missions” which are used for ground mapping. Also before we had a convenient App in CANADA, Transport CANADA used the word Mission for any Special Fight Operations Certificate (SFOC), it was their preferred term for the detail written operation plan that could run to 60 odd pages.

Reactions: OkieDoc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki