DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WHY do people call it 'MISSIONS'???

4781666.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: AnAvailableUsername
I agree. I've often looked at the word and thought, "Mission? I've been on missions in the military but a mission this is not." It's a flight.

Mission is far too serious for a hobby. Some definitions: (1) an operation carried out by military aircraft. "He was shot down on a supply mission" (2) an important assignment carried out for political, religious, or commercial purposes, typically involving travel.
"A trade mission to Mexico." (3) A group of people sent on a mission. "By then, the mission had journeyed more than 3,500 miles." (4) An organization or institution involved in a long-term assignment in a foreign country. "The head of the West German mission."

In short, the word is obviously used inappropriately.
So you're saying that NOTAMs (notice to air missions) don't apply to us since we don't fly missions. Glad to know the FAA is using the word inappropriately.

Reactions: slozukimc
The FAA, Transport Canada and Nav Canada all appear to think we are piloting "aircraft" that need to adhere to regulations and planning like "pilots" of manned aircraft do. It's the world they grew up and live in - and we're pretty much asking to play in their sandbox.
While I admit, "missions" sounds pretentious, the drone ground school training I took part in, as well as the Basic and Advanced tests pretty much used consistent language borrowed from aviation. Wear your Mavic Pilots badge proudly!

I am transformed, having been approved by the gov't. Prior to each sorte, I put on my "FAA Approved" vest, RayBan gold rim glasses, check the NOTAMS, log onto Aloft, preflight the equipment and play Danger Zone to get into the right frame of mind.
Lmao.. I do the same, but first ride my Harley-Davidson parallel to the run-way at high speed... 🤣

Those of us who do this commercially - like real estate, mapping, search and rescue etc., should be able to charge double or even triple if we refer to our flights as "missions". It might even impress your friends LOL.

Reactions: smfry60
I considered calling mine 'sorties' but didn't think it would be appropriate.

Reactions: WanderLost
Our Canadian Navdrone app calls them "operations," as in, "Plan Operation."
I just became a surgeon.

it doesnt matter what you call them mate. Sorties is fine. I think those that worry about this overly really have nothing better to worry about. :)

My students are taught to use a
  • maintenance release form
  • Navigation log
  • Pre flight check list
  • Post flight check list
  • Complete risk assessment and risk matrix
  • RPAS pilot Log book
  • JSA
  • Operational Log
for each flight. Anyone operating commercially would be doing this.(in Australia at least) If they want to call it a mission, operation, sortie or a plain on drone flight, I dont care.
That they take every flight seriously, whether commercial or recreation, is my main concern.

Regardless of what I call myself that's what the FAA calls me. Just as they call everyday flights "missions". Silly things to be concerned about.
Agreed.

Just to be clear, the eyeroll was aimed at the topic of this thread, not the people that call themselves pilots. Sarcasm on the internet is hard :).

Reactions: AnzacJack
Agreed.

Just to be clear, the eyeroll was aimed at the topic of this thread, not the people that call themselves pilots. Sarcasm on the internet is hard :).
That was very clear, to me at least, but I get why you have to clarify. I just couldn't help throwing more fire on this silly thread.

Reactions: maggior
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada