DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why does DJI always have to make their RC USB cables so bloody short?

BobbyLashley

Reactions
I just got a Air 2 Fly more and (like with the Mavic Pro 1 when I had it 3 years ago), the USB RC cable is so short that since the only way to plug it in, it puts so much strain on the ends. You're telling me this cable is going to last like this DJI? Like it was that hard to make the cable 3" longer?

I would hate removing the case each time, plus I'm not risking a cracked phone screen (as the case takes the strain from the clamp pressure off) and without the case, the cable was still just as tight anyways.

I obviously have to order a longer cable because I don't want my connection to the app all of a sudden dying when my drone is flying. Will any USB-C cable work? Like Anker cables.

Or does the cable have to have a sensor to the RC like the OEM cable does?

DJI_0006.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KarMann
Any cable should work.
Ebay and Amazon have hundreds of cheap ones ... buy a couple and have a spare.

Thanks. I read online that the OEM has a sensor in the cable to work with the RC? Anything special about the OEM cable?

Scoot the phone over a bit so the cable is not so tight.

I have to do it with my phone to miss the power / volume buttons when it's in the controller.

You have the cable that's plugged in to the RC backwards for starters. The whole thing is supposed to wrap around the armature/ antenna and plug back in side by side when not in use. As its usb c it doesn't matter the orientation when plugged in to the unit but your eating up probably a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch of cable length AND putting undue stress on it. And if your phone has either usb c or lightning they too are reversible so thats another ³/16-1/4 inch of 'lost' cable and unnecessary strain on the cable. Plus you could nudge the phone a hair closer to the port if all that isn't enough since unlike with the older controllers the phone isn't forced to be centered by the arms. I have a galaxy note ultra, with rugged case and usb c extension on it( due to the thickness of the case) and can use the stock cable with no problems.

We shouldn't have to do that though plus it gives the phone less support.. But this was one of the first things I tried anyways and unless you're willing to have your phone hanging half off the RC, it doesn't make that much of a difference.

If you turn both cable ends 180° it'll fit better...

Can't, doesn't work with my RC cable. This is the only way I am able to plug the thing in to get it to read. Maybe a defective cable but it makes no sense how I can only plug this RC cable into the one jack on the RC (left) and only one way on both ends to get it to read.

You have the cable that's plugged in to the RC backwards for starters. The whole thing is supposed to wrap around the armature/ antenna and plug back in side by side when not in use. As its usb c it doesn't matter the orientation when plugged in to the unit but your eating up probably a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch of cable length AND putting undue stress on it. And if your phone has either usb c or lightning they too are reversible so thats another ³/16-1/4 inch of 'lost' cable and unnecessary strain on the cable. Plus you could nudge the phone a hair closer to the port if all that isn't enough since unlike with the older controllers the phone isn't forced to be centered by the arms. I have a galaxy note ultra, with rugged case and usb c extension on it( due to the thickness of the case) and can use the stock cable with no problems.

For some reason I can only get the RC connection to the phone to read by plugging it in this way. I would like to have the end to the RC plugged in the right jack on the RC but then it doesn't read. And the same goes for my phone, for some reason I have to have the connect to the phone reverse or it doesn't read. That's why I was wondering all this time if the DJI cable has sensors in them. I have so any USB-C cables and I've never in my life used a cable that can't be plugged in reverse. DJI could have just avoided this by supplying us a cable 3" longer.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: BobbyLashley
I bought a few of these....

Thanks. I just ordered a couple 1ft ones that are similar, USB-C cables are not cheap. Thanks DJI, you should reimburse us all for having to spend extra on something that should be more than sufficient in the box. A 2cm cable that costed you 10 cents to make is not.

Your phone's connector is probably defective - did you try to connect your Rc to another smartphone ?

I just got a Air 2 Fly more and (like with the Mavic Pro 1 when I had it 3 years ago), the USB RC cable is so short that since the only way to plug it in, it puts so much strain on the ends. You're telling me this cable is going to last like this DJI? Like it was that hard to make the cable 3" longer?

I would hate removing the case each time, plus I'm not risking a cracked phone screen (as the case takes the strain from the clamp pressure off) and without the case, the cable was still just as tight anyways.

I obviously have to order a longer cable because I don't want my connection to the app all of a sudden dying when my drone is flying. Will any USB-C cable work? Like Anker cables.

Or does the cable have to have a sensor to the RC like the OEM cable does?

View attachment 119019
I don't get it, if it's USB c why wouldn't you just flip the cable where it attaches to the phone?

For some reason I can only get the RC connection to the phone to read by plugging it in this way. I would like to have the end to the RC plugged in the right jack on the RC but then it doesn't read. And the same goes for my phone, for some reason I have to have the connect to the phone reverse or it doesn't read. That's why I was wondering all this time if the DJI cable has sensors in them. I have so any USB-C cables and I've never in my life used a cable that can't be plugged in reverse. DJI could have just avoided this by supplying us a cable 3" longer.
I've plugged mine in facing both ways and using both ends for various reasons, like wanting my volume rocker exposed, and never had any problems. Maybe you have a bad cable? I know that bending the cables as tightly as are shown in the picture isn't good for them or the ports. I use this cable with my tablet and its great. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B089CQNF38/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_pq70FbXPBF9AQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
If you're careful you can still (double)wrap and store the cable inside the compartment. I can even manage to store the USB c extender inside with it so I dont have to decide in advance whether to use my tablet or phone.

Thanks. I just ordered a couple 1ft ones that are similar, USB-C cables are not cheap. Thanks DJI, you should reimburse us all for having to spend extra on something that should be more than sufficient in the box. A 2cm cable that costed you 10 cents to make is not.
I picked up the 8" Hanatora USB-C for my M2P and it was pretty cheap. That was plenty long enough to reach a tablet in a 3rd party holder.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt