DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why does my Mavic map only show the grid lines now?

TestPilot

Reactions
When I look at the map on the lower right of my DJI Go app, I see nothing but a grid and the home point (for my Mavic Pro)...

There used to be a map showing there, and it must have disappeared after one of those many updates....

Can someone fill me in on this and is it possible to get back the map to show? Seeing a grid only is not helpful at all for a pilot.

Reactions: dazzer71
The app needs a connection to download the map tiles. They'll then stay in a cache on your device for a while, but that will get wiped by your device periodically so you need a connection again. Just connect at home and browse the map a bit on the areas you're going to visit once in a while

Make your phone a hotspot and connect your iPad to the hotspot.

So this is the only way to generate a map? The map appears when I connect at my home and there is a Wifi there, so my iPad has an internet. But when I am away, the map disappears again.

But I vaguely remember seeing a map long ago, but then again, at that time I was using my mobile phone for the DJI Go app. Now that I use an iPad with no line, is that the reason?

PS: Not been flying much, and for most of 2017 haven't flown at all.

As said earlier, while you are at home you need to browse the map to the place you are planning to go to. Then that will be in cache for a while for when you get there...

If you do not do that then yes you need a connection.

As said earlier, while you are at home you need to browse the map to the place you are planning to go to. Then that will be in cache for a while for when you get there...

If you do not do that then yes you need a connection.

But it looks like my Mavic doesn't download anything to any cache, because the moment I am away from my house, with no internet, it stops showing any map and reverts to the plain grid where there is nothing.

Before going to my sister-in-law's (no WiFi, no cell service) to fly I have to cache the maps for that area. I start Go, switch to map view, then move the map to her house. I have to wait a few seconds for that area to load then move the map around to cover the entire area I want to fly, waiting each time I move the map for that section to load.

Before going to my sister-in-law's (no WiFi, no cell service) to fly I have to cache the maps for that area. I start Go, switch to map view, then move the map to her house. I have to wait a few seconds for that area to load then move the map around to cover the entire area I want to fly, waiting each time I move the map for that section to load.

This is weird. Because my DJI Go on my iPad shows nothing when there is no internet connection/Wifi. I wonder how come yours shows a map.

I cache the maps at home where I do have WiFi. I'm using an Android tablet, but I don't think that's the issue as others here use the iPad. Perhaps one of the iOS users will be more help.

I cache the maps at home where I do have WiFi. I'm using an Android tablet, but I don't think that's the issue as others here use the iPad. Perhaps one of the iOS users will be more help.
Thanks Kenny, but may I know how do you "cache" the maps at home? When I turn on my Mavic in my home where there is a Wifi, the DJI Go app immediately shows the map, and I have no idea how to "cache" or download the map.

Exactly the way I've explained. Still works for me on iOS. Note you need to also zoom in the areas you're interested in while you have a connection, otherwise only the "zoomed out" tiles will be cached and you'd see the grid again once zoomed in.

The problem is, I'm not sure how to "cache" or "download" the map....is there any button to hit?

Argh...
As several of us said above within the app just scroll the map to the areas of interest, then zoom in to where you plan to go, let the map load, zoom back out, scroll to next, etc..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143