DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why doesn't DJI provide smarter return to home functionalities when the connection is lost?

Droning on and on...

Reactions
I fly the mini and one concern is wind and especially connection losses in windy circumstances.
In the DJI Fly app I can choose the following options for connection losses: Return to home (if the drone is below the set RTH altitude, it will first ascend to that altitude), hover, land.
Is there a reason why the DJI drones don't have these two other variations of the return to home option:
- Return to home, and if the GPS detects that it is not able to approach the RTH location (due to strong wind), then descend to the set RTH altitude and then fly home (obviously only if it was above the RTH altitude). If you set the RTH at a height that is just above the highest objects in the neighborhood, this should allow the drone to come down to an altitude with less wind, without hitting any objects.
- Return to home, and if the GPS detects that it is not able to approach the RTH location, keep descending until it is able to move towards the RTH location. This approach is obviously more risky as it might descend to an altitude where it hits obstacles.

Because u can already do this.....u wont have signal loss for nearly enough time for what you are talking about to actually work.... So what you do is say the craft loses signal it shouldn't take no more then 11 second to re-establish to remote and then what is unlucky maybe another 20 seconds to the app? So tops 31 seconds at a higher altitude whole it's rth... Some answer is when u do get picture back and are able to control you descend AS you as you are rth .... Now u can't go to fast intro your descent you will start to lose signal again...the craft will still rth to u but u can't manage your height like you are supposed to

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Is there a reason why the DJI drones don't have these two other variations of the return to home option ...
No other DJI drones have anything different from the Loss of Signal options available to owners of the Mini.
Having more options makes things more complicated for programming and for flyers.
The options available are fine as they are.
Just like the pilot of a real plane, drone flyers need to be ware of the limitations of their flying machine and fly it accordingly.

Last edited:
At some point, pilots need to take responsibility when flying their drone. They need to first consider the situation and environment before they even take off. RTH is a backup when connection is lost. It is pilot's responsibility to ensure he/she has full control at all times, where possible.

I fly the mini and one concern is wind and especially connection losses in windy circumstances.
In the DJI Fly app I can choose the following options for connection losses: Return to home (if the drone is below the set RTH altitude, it will first ascend to that altitude), hover, land.
Is there a reason why the DJI drones don't have these two other variations of the return to home option:
- Return to home, and if the GPS detects that it is not able to approach the RTH location (due to strong wind), then descend to the set RTH altitude and then fly home (obviously only if it was above the RTH altitude). If you set the RTH at a height that is just above the highest objects in the neighborhood, this should allow the drone to come down to an altitude with less wind, without hitting any objects.
- Return to home, and if the GPS detects that it is not able to approach the RTH location, keep descending until it is able to move towards the RTH location. This approach is obviously more risky as it might descend to an altitude where it hits obstacles.

Couldn't agree more. Why should it even need input from me? For the money they charge, it should be totally autonomous from take off to landing so that I can focus on other things.

If the next update doesn't include a tea making facility, I'm returning it under warranty...

All sarcasm aside, I'd suggest more practice and enjoy piloting the drone ;)

Realistically his question is only 2 years too early. Skydio could probably travel the world if it had a big enough battery.

I have heard stories about batteries running out during RTH because of wind, but I have never heard about drones that literally cannot move towards the home zone because the wind is too strong. Exactly how strong was the wind?

I have heard stories about batteries running out during RTH because of wind, but I have never heard about drones that literally cannot move towards the home zone because the wind is too strong. Exactly how strong was the wind?
As this is exemplified by the OP with a Mini ... which have a max speed of 8m/s during RTH, it's not hard to understand that winds aloft can be much stronger then that. Head over to the Mavic Crash & Flyaway Assistance thread & search for Mini + Blowaway.

Reactions: Flycaster
My uncalibrated guess is +/-50% of all Mini blowaways discussed here are due to the drone's inability to overcome headwinds during a RTH. The Mini's 8 m/s wind tolerance is about 18mph for those , like myself, who are metrically challenged. Where I am right now, the surface wind is 6mph with gusts to 12mph. At 250' (according to the UAV Forecast app) the wind is steady at 12mph but has gusts to 29mph. I would not be flying right now with my M2Z unless it was below 100'.

My uncalibrated guess is +/-50% of all Mini blowaways discussed here are due to the drone's inability to overcome headwinds during a RTH. The Mini's 8 m/s wind tolerance is about 18mph for those , like myself, who are metrically challenged. Where I am right now, the surface wind is 6mph with gusts to 12mph. At 250' (according to the UAV Forecast app) the wind is steady at 12mph but has gusts to 29mph. I would not be flying right now with my M2Z unless it was below 100'.

You see I've flown the mini in 20mph wind/25mph gusts (UAV Forecast stats) and it flew ok in P, slower than normal in S... Was actually fun in a sick kinda way enjoying seeing how the wind slows S mode down to literally a crawl. Sometimes, I'll let it hover and see how much the wind is taking it (towards me as I'm downwind of course)

BUT, I've got quite a few flights under my belt and don't go into anything unprepared. I've practised on windy days and know my limits. Under no circumstances was I going to be in a situation that I would need RTH and was more than happy knowing I could fly, do what I needed to do, and bring the little beast home.

Don't forget it took me 3 flights to get above 10m altitude! I cringe when I read about brand new drone and no reading/research/practice done but that's just me and my humble opinion. Yes it's a mini, yes it's affordable, but at no point have I or will I treat it as a toy.

We're all different- wind no longer bothers me but I'm still massively wary over water!

Reactions: JAW
You see I've flown the mini in 20mph wind/25mph gusts (UAV Forecast stats) and it flew ok in P...

If you mean that you made way head on the wind, that's easy to explain ... the UAV forecast was wrong.

The max speed in P-mode for a Mini is 8m/s (17,9mph) so it would never have pushed through 20mph wind with 25mph gusts ... that is 8,9 & 11,2m/s. In Sport it's possible though, as that max out at 13m/s (29mph).

If you mean that you made way head on the wind, that's easy to explain ... the UAV forecast was wrong.

The max speed in P-mode for a Mini is 8m/s (17,9mph) so it would never have pushed through 20mph wind with 25mph gusts ... that is 8,9 & 11,2m/s. In Sport it's possible though, as that max out at 13m/s (29mph).

I'm sure as you'll have found when going outside, wind fluctuates! UAV Forecast is a online guide which, in my opinion, is a good guide but that's all it is. It's not an exact reading of the wind at every given moment in time all around the world.

Have you ever seen a weather report that said it's raining, but when you look outside it's not?

I'm sure as you'll have found when going outside, wind fluctuates! UAV Forecast is a online guide which, in my opinion, is a good guide but that's all it is. It's not an exact reading of the wind at every given moment in time all around the world.

Have you ever seen a weather report that said it's raining, but when you look outside it's not?
Exactly what I mean ... you most probably didn't fly in 20mph wind/25mph gusts.

Exactly what I mean ... you most probably didn't fly in 20mph wind/25mph gusts.

Ok, I may be wrong but feels like you're nit picking... And kinda missed the point of my post.
Trees were blowing wildly, wind was going up my shorts, maybe 1mph or two out. The drone was doing 3m/s into the wind full throttle in S mode at one point.

My point is that practice, experience of situations, and knowing what you and your UAV is capable of is important.

All drones have these facilities - It's called 'Flying them' ... :D
Seriously though - RTH is something that you need to understand is not a cure-all for every ill. With a lightweight drone like the Mini especially, you'll get a lot of situations where an RTH will raise the drone into faster air, and that could easily lead to it being blown away.
The answer is to use an app' like 'UAV Forecast' - configured correctly - to give you an indication of what the winds are like at higher altitude before you get the drone up there - and - to learn to fly the drone back home to you rather than relying on the RTH button. If you find yourself down-wind, then descend and fly low where the wind speed is less.

There have been posts in this Forum that tell of situations where the Mavic went into RTH and then was blown backwards by the wind ...

Ok, I may be wrong but feels like you're nit picking... And kinda missed the point of my post.
Trees were blowing wildly, wind was going up my shorts, maybe 1mph or two out. The drone was doing 3m/s into the wind full throttle in S mode at one point.

My point is that practice, experience of situations, and knowing what you and your UAV is capable of is important.
Yeah, yeah I'm nit picking a bit, sorry ? Doing it for the sake of all newbies that read what they want to hear ... and then find them self flying down wind, way to high, relying on RTH, believe that the UAV app have placed a weather balloon where they fly & don't count in gusts ... & don't have skills to manage wind induced incidents yet.

Reactions: Prismatic
There have been posts in this Forum that tell of situations where the Mavic went into RTH and then was blown backwards by the wind ...

I must have missed those posts. So the Mavic in question could have flown upwind if flown manually in P mode, but not in RTH? That seems like a bad software implementation.

Edit: Why is Da*n censored? Is this a Christian forum?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman