DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why general and commercial aviation pilots make great drone owners.

A synopsis of this thread, courtesy of @old man mavic:

"Its all about being aware of what you are doing and realising that as the PIC the buck stops with you"

Now, if you have time to read the rest, carry on.

I have alot of friends who are general and commercial pilots as well as drone owners. After flying with so many of these guys, it has become apparent to me that they are the safest people to fly with, and consider their drone as an aircraft, not a flying camera. They obey the rules, read the manual, use checklists, and have it ground into them that fuel management is critical, as well as weather and airspace restrictions.

As a pilot who grew up in the front seat of a Piper Cub, my dad taught me before we even left the house, to check for weather. But that wasnt good enough for him. He checked the weather, called the airport, then took a look outside. He didnt mess with the weather, and if his gut said not to fly, we didnt.

He also drilled into me to never let my fuel tank get below 1/4. To him, that was empty. I still believe that with my Mavic, 25% is empty to me, so I plan on landing at 30% or higher.

I use a checklist before flight, because while it might not stop me from forgetting something, it's kinda fun to go through it every time. Takes all of 2 minutes.

Lastly, he always planned his flight, and flew his plan. Even if we were just going out to goof around, he always had a plan, just in case. It made it more fun to plan, and became a ritual that follows me to this day. I laugh at myself when I go to fly my drones, and find myself flying a pattern. I guess after 2000+ hours of time in aircraft, thats the way my brain thinks. Take off upwind, turn crosswind, downwind, then final. I know its a drone and capable of VTOL, but flying a pattern just relaxes me.

Thanks for reading...

Rob

Some of my Army buddies who used to fly helicopters have the same approach. They even calibrate their compass every time they go out just out of habit even though it may be unnecessary.

What kind of plane was it? I have seen people do that, but then were able to land it using elevator and rudder...
Was (is) a 52" Stik. It didn't feel right at take off but it was just too quick for me to catch. It took longer to lift off and as soon as I noticed something strange was happening, it flipped over and crashed on the runway. The problem was that I truly thought I had done the pre-flight. Oops.
I use my mavic as a camera more than to fly for fun (although it's really fun to fly) but being the MP is a bit more complicated, I usually take more time on the flight check. Don't really re-calibrate the compass every time but I check it. Then I take the time to do a short visual flight to make sure things feel right and do a RTH at each different LZ before heading out on a long distant flight.

Reactions: Former Member
Another point is that Part 61 private (or commercial) pilots who are also Part 107 UAS pilots can get dinged on their regular pilot license if they violate a rule while flying a drone. I’ve read at least one account of this happening (the guy’s pilot certificate was suspended for a brief period).

Not that I or most drone pilots would intentionally break the rules, but the fact that my private pilot certificate could be on the line makes me triple check any potentially applicable rules and be very careful about airspace, TFRs, and NFZs.

Another point is that Part 61 private (or commercial) pilots who are also Part 107 UAS pilots can get dinged on their regular pilot license if they violate a rule while flying a drone. I’ve read at least one account of this happening (the guy’s pilot certificate was suspended for a brief period).

Not that I or most drone pilots would intentionally break the rules, but the fact that my private pilot certificate could be on the line makes me triple check any potentially applicable rules and be very careful about airspace, TFRs, and NFZs.
a good thought it is up to all of us to fly safely no matter who we are knowledge is power the more the better and also using that knowledge

Was (is) a 52" Stik. It didn't feel right at take off but it was just too quick for me to catch. It took longer to lift off and as soon as I noticed something strange was happening, it flipped over and crashed on the runway. The problem was that I truly thought I had done the pre-flight. Oops.
I use my mavic as a camera more than to fly for fun (although it's really fun to fly) but being the MP is a bit more complicated, I usually take more time on the flight check. Don't really re-calibrate the compass every time but I check it. Then I take the time to do a short visual flight to make sure things feel right and do a RTH at each different LZ before heading out on a long distant flight.

Lucky you didnt plug the aileron servos into the wrong ports on the receiver! That would have probably led to splinters. The Sticks are great airplanes. I had an Ultra Stick 120 with flaperons. It was a beast. Purred like a kitten but roared like a lion. It coudlnt hover but could take-off and land in 20 feet of runway.

Reactions: AMann

Excellent point! Funny how we are held more accountable for our actions that way. I guess the FAA thinks, "we should know better."

After only a week with my MA I created my own checklist. After 20 years as a RW pilot and test pilot I needed to get back into a familiar place to be comfortable. Force of habit, I also reload shotgun, rifle and pistol and it's all about developing a process and consistency.

Great post Rob. My dad restored cubs and there is nothing like being taken flying by your dad in a cub.

I agree. We used to fly with the doors open, even in the winter. He used to prop it, and I was the "contact and brakes" guy.

Flying Cubs gave me alot of respect for rudder control. because it was so light, landing in a crosswind was always a fun experience. Sometimes the other main wheel didnt hit the ground until the plane was almost stopped! Im sure you know what I mean.

Great post Rob. My dad restored cubs and there is nothing like being taken flying by your dad in a cub.

BTW, where did your dad restore them? We flew out of a small airport named Zahns, in Amityville, NY. Seems like no matter which runway we used, there was always a crosswind. lol

Reactions: Cymruflyer
A synopsis of this thread, courtesy of @old man mavic:

"Its all about being aware of what you are doing and realising that as the PIC the buck stops with you"

Now, if you have time to read the rest, carry on.

I have alot of friends who are general and commercial pilots as well as drone owners. After flying with so many of these guys, it has become apparent to me that they are the safest people to fly with, and consider their drone as an aircraft, not a flying camera. They obey the rules, read the manual, use checklists, and have it ground into them that fuel management is critical, as well as weather and airspace restrictions.

As a pilot who grew up in the front seat of a Piper Cub, my dad taught me before we even left the house, to check for weather. But that wasnt good enough for him. He checked the weather, called the airport, then took a look outside. He didnt mess with the weather, and if his gut said not to fly, we didnt.

He also drilled into me to never let my fuel tank get below 1/4. To him, that was empty. I still believe that with my Mavic, 25% is empty to me, so I plan on landing at 30% or higher.

I use a checklist before flight, because while it might not stop me from forgetting something, it's kinda fun to go through it every time. Takes all of 2 minutes.

Lastly, he always planned his flight, and flew his plan. Even if we were just going out to goof around, he always had a plan, just in case. It made it more fun to plan, and became a ritual that follows me to this day. I laugh at myself when I go to fly my drones, and find myself flying a pattern. I guess after 2000+ hours of time in aircraft, thats the way my brain thinks. Take off upwind, turn crosswind, downwind, then final. I know its a drone and capable of VTOL, but flying a pattern just relaxes me.

Thanks for reading...

Rob

Yup. I have a private certificate with single-engine and instrument rating. Everything you said is true.

I agree. We used to fly with the doors open, even in the winter.
Wow! It's probably a lot colder where you are, I always did too, once I grew up and had my own Cub. It always seemed easier to land with the door open.

Flying Cubs gave me alot of respect for rudder control. because it was so light, landing in a crosswind was always a fun experience. Sometimes the other main wheel didnt hit the ground until the plane was almost stopped! Im sure you know what I mean.
Did you fly off of a grass strip? A lot of people say Cubs are easy, but I always had to work a lot harder landing Cubs, at least on asphalt.

My dad built them in the garage of our house on a typical residential street in Dixon, CA. He'd cover them in the garage, my mom would help with rib-stitching in the living room, and he's trailer them to a hangar at the local airport to put the wings on and do the rest. Instead of junk cars, we had junk airplanes in the yard. I'd climb into the fuselages as a kid and pretend I was bombing ball bearing factories in Germany.

Wow! It's probably a lot colder where you are, I always did too, once I grew up and had my own Cub. It always seemed easier to land with the door open.

Did you fly off of a grass strip? A lot of people say Cubs are easy, but I always had to work a lot harder landing Cubs, at least on asphalt.

My dad built them in the garage of our house on a typical residential street in Dixon, CA. He'd cover them in the garage, my mom would help with rib-stitching in the living room, and he's trailer them to a hangar at the local airport to put the wings on and do the rest. Instead of junk cars, we had junk airplanes in the yard. I'd climb into the fuselages as a kid and pretend I was bombing ball bearing factories in Germany.

Cubs are a lot easier to land than some other tail wheels. I learned to fly them in a Champ, and I’m surprised I survived. The Cub is a breeze to land by comparison (though you’re right, none of them are easy to land).

Reactions: sdold

They had 2 paved runways, but we took off and landed the Cub from the grass strip. The only problems we ever had was after it rained, and there were puddles on the grass strip. Made life interesting. My dad didnt like using the paved runways for a number of reasons.

It sounds like your house was a real hangar! True story, my dads friend built an experimental in the back of his shop. Finally when it was all done, he couldnt get it out of the shop because he had misjudged the size of the shop doors. Another month until he was able to fly it.

Reactions: sdold
I may have the body, and look very much like a 74 year
old f*rt , but deep down in my cranium, I'm still ten y o...
And I'll stay ten 'til the day I stop huffin' and puffin' on this here planet... With a fleet of 4 quads, (1 micro, 2 small quads, and 1 MA) I'm constantly updating my skill levels and safety awareness... I have no desire to race or compete w/ anyone.. I just like to fly... However, we've had rain intermittently for the past 4-5 days, and forecast for more for the next 4-5 days. It's not raining here now, but the wind is 16 - 20 mph w/ gusting to abt 35+ ... Bad news for us pilots... This is typical of NorCal WX, but cricky, this is getting rediculus... I'm really Jonesing for a good 20 min flight ... Ah, I suppose I'll just have to wait 'til the WX gets better ...
In order to prove I'm still 10 yo, I'll repeat the phrase I say to my grandsons' everytime I see one of them...
"Quick,,,,,,,,,pull my finger" Maybe they'll put that on my grave stone when i leave here... I hope, I hope........

Have fun and 'Fly Safe'

I may have the body, and look very much like a 74 year
old f*rt , but deep down in my cranium, I'm still ten y o...
And I'll stay ten 'til the day I stop huffin' and puffin' on this here planet... With a fleet of 4 quads, (1 micro, 2 small quads, and 1 MA) I'm constantly updating my skill levels and safety awareness... I have no desire to race or compete w/ anyone.. I just like to fly... However, we've had rain intermittently for the past 4-5 days, and forecast for more for the next 4-5 days. It's not raining here now, but the wind is 16 - 20 mph w/ gusting to abt 35+ ... Bad news for us pilots... This is typical of NorCal WX, but cricky, this is getting rediculus... I'm really Jonesing for a good 20 min flight ... Ah, I suppose I'll just have to wait 'til the WX gets better ...
In order to prove I'm still 10 yo, I'll repeat the phrase I say to my grandsons' everytime I see one of them...
"Quick,,,,,,,,,pull my finger" Maybe they'll put that on my grave stone when i leave here... I hope, I hope........

Have fun and 'Fly Safe'

Very funny. At my age, I have learned to "never trust a fart" (The Bucket List)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329