DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why I think the mini 3 is better than the mavic 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not likely we will see an optical zoom on the higher end drones with larger image sensors for a few of reasons. First, it's much harder to make a high quality lens, especially an extremely compact one, that zooms. Prime lenses (fixed focal length) always give the best image quality and the best performance edge to edge across the frame, all else equal. Second, zoom lenses require more complicated designs which need more lens elements which adds weight, on top of the powered zoom mechanism that adds even more weight. Third, if they want to keep a constant aperture when zooming, that adds even more weight, size and complexity. An aperture like F2.8 isn't a big deal at 24mm or 28mm but at telephoto focal lengths you start to require some very large lens elements to achieve that. Variable apertures mitigate that and help keep the size of a zoom lens down, however variable apertures are extremely annoying on drones because you have to land and swap your ND filter every time you zoom.

This is also why the M2Z had such a tiny 1/2.3" sensor and even though it was a barely useful 2X zoom, they still put a variable aperture in it to keep size down. The M2P of course had a fixed focal length lens with it's larger 1" sensor.

So, it's theoretically possible to add a zoom lens with the larger sensor drones, but most professionals don't want that and it would add significant gimbal weight and complexity. I doubt they do it personally, unless they offer a second version like they did with the M2Z and M2P with a much, much smaller sensor on the version with an optical zoom.
Agreed

I think it’s better because it is under 249g and has more sensors than the mavic 3. It also costs way less. What do you guys think
With the FAA planning to start Remote ID in September 2023 the Mini class may be the only option for the hobbyist drone pilot.

The first being - in the sub 250 gram category.
That is the sole reason I bought my Mini 3. The lighter weight is nice when backpacking, but I'm not (yet) so decrepit that I can't carry my Mavic 2. But being 249 g means that I can legally fly in many places that I couldn't before.

With my Mavic 2 I can't fly in control zones or within 30 m of people, which means that I basically can't fly in a city. The Mini lets me do that, as the regulations are much less onerous.

I registered the Mini anyway, so I can use the plus battery for extended flight time if I take it hiking, but I'm getting in way more flying than I used to because I can simply walk to a good launch point rather than having to drive. I just hope my Fly-More kit arrives soon so I'll have more than one standard battery.

The Mavic 3 camera is why it's way better than Mini 3 pro. I fly to take pics & video. So camera is way important.
Agreed, but the best camera can't take pictures if you are not allowed to fly because of mass restrictions. ;)

@Robert Prior
Exactly my thoughts and my reason to buy the Mini 3 Pro too.
I still love my M2P but hate the restrictions upon it.

Last edited:
Better is of course a relative term.

The M3 is a drone that is clearly targeted at serious hobbyists and professionals, and would arguably be most attractive to an existing Inspire 2 owner, as they now have a way to get a 4/3 sensor in the air without the bulk and cost associated with the Inspire system. In that sense, it's an absolute bargain. You can do things with the M3 that you simply can't with any other foldable drone, and much of that comes down to the 4/3 sensor it uses. That is mostly what you're paying for (relative to a Mavic 2 or similar), and that is also why I think a lot of people who have the M3 complain about it's price - because they don't take advantage of that sensor. *Most* people who think it's overpriced would be better served by a lesser drone, unless shooting in extremely challenging lighting conditions and heavy post processing are part of your usage. It's also available with ProRes, which is a popular requirement of professional agencies due to how easily/quickly it can be processed and how it can be edited non-destructively. The downside of ProRes is also one of it's best features - lack of compression. File sizes are huge, but the uncompressed files are very easy to process after the fact compared to something like H265.

The M3P does not have more sensors than a M3, assuming you are talking about obstacle avoidance. The M3 also has two cameras and therefore two image sensors.

If you fly in an area or with a license that doesn't involve low weight limits, the M3 is better in every way except size and cost, but literally everything in the photography/videography world involves a compromise. The M3 also weighs about 3.5 times that of a M3P and has much more powerful motors. It's faster and can deal with wind much better, which is important for getting stable footage in poor conditions. Of course if it's out of your budget, this is all moot (yet another compromise).

If you fly in an area/country with tighter weight restrictions, then the M3P is obviously the better choice because the alternative is not being able to fly legally. The M3P is also far easier to take with you traveling, hiking, etc. so it makes a great companion to the larger, more capable drones. DJI has pretty well removed every major disadvantage previously associated with the ultra-light drones (within reason) so it's great that we have that as an option.

Another key feature with the M3 and also the M2P is that they are the only ones available with a variable aperture, the benefits of which are hard to overstate on a drone when dealing with ND filters. I really wish DJI would incorporate that into some of their cheaper drones as it would probably save me a lot of money :D But I also understand that they need to give people enough reasons to actually buy their more expensive drones.
I’d love a smaller drone with variable ap. Coming in to change filters is a PITA.

Reactions: CanadaDrone
M3 has side obstacle sensors AFAIK while M3P doesn't. That's a big game changer.
Technically, the M3 and M3P have the same number of OA sensors, however the M3 front/back sensors are mounted at 45° and wide angle, providing upward, sideways, and forward/back coverage, instead of dedicated cameras for all directions.

With the FAA planning to start Remote ID in September 2023 the Mini class may be the only option for the hobbyist drone pilot.
option include fimi x8 se. though it is full size. Not as much tech as dji. has remote id.

There's no one device that's good at everything so it's always going to be a case of balancing what suits your needs better and often the case you end up with more than one device. I could argue my car is better than an F1 car because it has room for five adults and 586 litre boot capacity...

I have to agree with @Cgbass439 ... the camera is infinitely more important.
Lack of adjustable aperture is unacceptable.

lol - y'all are either getting too complacent or decided you like to argue.
Note the OP has not weighed in on one rebuttal. A hit and run artist.
Have y'all forgotten how to recognize trolls?
#1 rule - "don't feed the trolls".

Reactions: pommy
Now we have a drone with a tele lens and a drone with 90deg lens rotation and greater vertical gimble movement. I'm ready to see a drone with all of that wrapped up in one package...with optical zoom...
Mini 3 has optical zoom. That’s why it’s amazing

lol - y'all are either getting too complacent or decided you like to argue.
Note the OP has not weighed in on one rebuttal. A hit and run artist.
Have y'all forgotten how to recognize trolls?
#1 rule - "don't feed the trolls".
Sir “y’all” isn’t a word. It’s you all.

• Haha
Reactions: Beet
There are many great points made, and I would have to agree it all comes down to your requirements. One point I did not see mentioned. The Mini 3 is stealthy. It is much quieter than the M 3 Pro, which can be a great advantage.
I think this point is much undervalued. It's one of the main reasons I plan to "upgrade" from my Air 2 to a Mini 3 pro.

LIE! To avoid restrictions drones must be under 249g as per CAA rules. Research should be conducted before posting.
May I suggest toning it down a bit ands using less inflammatory speech?

Sir “y’all” isn’t a word. It’s you all.
Mods - @dirkclod @Meta4 - can we nuke this guy with the ban hammer already?
I think he's proved my assertion he's nothing more than a troll trying to cause disruption.
Nothing else to do in mom's basement I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead