DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why is my video jerky?

jimmybbq

Reactions
Shot with the Mavic, 2.7k rendered to 1080p in Resolve 14. ISO 100, shutter speed was either 60 or 80 can't remember... 30fps, ND16, D-LOG... Is it just on my system?

How did you manage to keep your shutter speed so low with that much natural light? I'm going to presume that your shutter speed wasn't 60 or 80 like you think. Also what are your project settings? 24 or 30 fps? They should match your footage fps.

Last edited:
How did you manage to keep your shutter speed so low with that much natural light? I'm going to presume that your shutter speed wasn't 60 or 80 like you think. Also what are your project settings? 24 or 30 fps? They should match your footage fps.

You may be right, my first go at this today was with a CP, 2nd go was with an ND8, in the one above I was using an ND16 filter. I may have changed SS last minute. Would that make it jerky, if I was at say 200 or 400?.. project speed is 29.97fps

The whole point (only point) of an ND is to reduce light on a video to get the shutter speed down to roughly twice the frame rate. They serve no other purpose.
Too high a shutter speed will make jerky footage - you need some motion blur in a frame for the eye to see smooth motion.
If you're shooting 30fps you want a shutter speed as close to 1/60th as practical whilst maintaining a correct exposure.

You may be right, my first go at this today was with a CP, 2nd go was with an ND8, in the one above I was using an ND16 filter. I may have changed SS last minute. Would that make it jerky, if I was at say 200 or 400?.. project speed is 29.97fps

Short answer, Yes!

That's what I need, thanks... I was looking for the cheaper ones in singles, I guess they don't offer those in singles.

The cinema series is expensive you can find some single ND32's and ND64's on Amazon. I don't have an ND64 but no sooner than I put that link in this post did I order it! lol

Amazon.com: Hooshion 1 Pack RC Quadcopter Lens Filter Accessories ND 32 ND32 HD Filter Set for DJI MAVIC Pro Camera Lens Circular Polarizer Neutral Density Filters Parts (G-HD ND32): Automotive

Amazon.com: Hooshion 1 Pack RC Quadcopter Lens Filter Accessories ND 64 ND64 HD Filter Set for DJI MAVIC Pro Camera Lens Circular Polarizer Neutral Density Filters Parts (G-HD ND64): Automotive

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11