DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why not more BUZZ on the Mavic 3 Classic?

Personally, I can't understand why anyone would choose the M3 Classic over the M3, when the only reason to do so is to allegedly save money and because one can't conceive of a reason to have a 7x telephoto camera on the same drone. Yet a DJI Refurbished Mavic 3 was available at the same time for $1549 from DJI on eBay, while the Mavic 3 Classic was simultaneously being sold in the same configuration for $1649! That's paying $50 more to give up a FREE included 7x telephoto camera, a locking gimbal, and a better jockstrap to hold it all together. The Mavic 3 Classic is just a stripped down, poor man's Mavic 3, that doesn't even save money! No one buys just one battery. If you are a serious user, you'll also want the $1200 RC Pro controller, and the $659 Combo Kit, regardless of which drone you buy. So, adding another $1850 in needed accessories to your drone purchase, you are all in for either $3400 on the Mavic 3 or $3450 on the Mavic 3 Classic with both an RC-N1 and an RC Pro. The prices are within $50 on a $3400+ purchase! Why give up the free 7x Telephoto? If nothing else, it will substantially improve resale value, as everyone who has used it finds value in it! The 7x telephoto now even supports Spotlight and POI! The so called Mavic 3 Classic "savings" was really much ado about nothing, except paying more for less!
Because the mavic 3 classic is a solid better drone at a reasonable price point.
Calling it a stripped down poor man's mavic 3 is just plain goofy.
I am sure many others would agree with this.

Because the mavic 3 classic is a solid better drone at a reasonable price point.
Calling it a stripped down poor man's mavic 3 is just plain goofy.
I am sure many others would agree with this.
Exactly why is it "better" when you get a lot less (no 7x telephoto, no gimbal lock, and an inferior jockstrap gimbal protector) for more money than the DJI Refurbished Mavic 3 for $1549 on eBay from DroneNerds.com? The same configuration of the Mavic 3 Classic with the RC-N1 costs $1599!

Pretty soon the Classic will be refurbished as well and for several hundred less than the standard model with zoom. Yes, you can compare the real dollar of a new vs refurb product today but that wont be the case long term. The strap is fine with the classic. Most of the drones DJI sells dont even include one. The gimbal lock is unimportant as well. It’s not difficult to hold the gimbal when installing the strap that is not needed but nice to have so the props dont flop. If the lock were an inflight difference maybe but past that, and again, most drones dont have it and I have been able to cope thus far.

The RC is a better fit than the RC-N1 with a phone for me. The reason I have the RC Pro as well is not signal strength, I find no difference really. I like the Pro for the larger physical size which fits my hands better but when I travel the Pro stays home and the RC is in the bag. Each has its purpose and saying one is better is really opinion since needs vary by user.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Exactly why is it "better" when you get a lot less (no 7x telephoto, no gimbal lock, and an inferior jockstrap gimbal protector) for more money than the DJI Refurbished Mavic 3 for $1549 on eBay from DroneNerds.com? The same configuration of the Mavic 3 Classic with the RC-N1 costs $1599!

The telephoto lens was a waste, as in no one misses it,gimbal lock is not even a factor.
The gimbal protector,so called inferior works as good as the other one.
Refurbs are not part of an issue as they are going to be priced down so not a matter up
for discussion.The new price point of the original mavic 3 compared to the mavic 3 classic.
is what matters.
i am not going any further with this as we all have out own opinions on different matters.

The telephoto lens was a waste, as in no one misses it,gimbal lock is not even a factor.
The gimbal protector,so called inferior works as good as the other one.
Refurbs are not part of an issue as they are going to be priced down so not a matter up
for discussion.The new price point of the original mavic 3 compared to the mavic 3 classic.
is what matters.
i am not going any further with this as we all have out own opinions on different matters.
Nothing you have stated makes the Mavic 3 Classic a "better drone." It's a stripped down Mavic 3. It can't do anything the Mavic 3 can't do, while the Mavic 3 does everything the Mavic 3 Classic can, and comes with a 7x power set of binoculars, even if you never use them for photography!

The telephoto lens was a waste, as in no one misses it
Spoken like someone who has never used it, and is still reading reviews that are a year old, instead of the current state of the 7x telephoto, that supports both Spotlight and POI, and offers full manual control of the 7x camera with both JPG and DNG support. Find me one person who owns a Mavic 3 and who has actually used the 7x telephoto who believes it was "a waste" and that they would not miss it, if the Mavic 3 came without it! It will be a year before any Refurbished Mavic 3's are available. Today, the best drone and best priced drone is the DJI Refurbished Mavic 3, still available for less than the cost of a new Mavic 3 Classic. QED.

Last edited:
Reactions: Touring497
How do you guys feel about the rest of the lineup with single lenses like the Inspire?. Or how about the guys making movies with the single lens Red cameras on the cinelifters.

Last edited:
The Inspire2 has been a very good camera platform. You just need several different lenses. The fly time on the Inspire1 wasn’t enough for me.

I guess the Inspire question wasn’t fair. I should have asked about the difference in the Mavic 3 4/3 sensor vs the Air 2 1/2 sensor with a different lens. I guess if I zoom was my primary need what better way than to have it with a great 4/3 sensor. I’m not mad either way though because the main reason for the Mavic 3 line is the main sensor and sideways obstacle avoidance which both have. All the best parts of a Mavic 3 are in the classic and if the only thing difference is a zoom with a 1/2 sensor then thats not much to miss. No other platform is dependent on that for a selling point and if DJI thought it was the main featire they would not have produced an option without it.

The debate here is not about which of the two is better. It’s about telling someone that went with the classic they made a mistake, that’s unnecessary.

Last edited:
The debate here is not about which of the two is better. It’s about telling someone that went with the classic they made a mistake, that’s unnecessary.
Actually, the thread is about why there isn't much BUZZ over the Mavic 3 Classic. The reason is there is nothing new about it, other than the price, and eliminating the 7x power binoculars. Whether buying the Classic is a mistake is a judgment call, but it should be a fully informed decision, and not one based upon hearsay, supposition, false information, and old reviews from a year ago.

Putting them side by side today, with all the purchasing options currently available, where a Refurbished Mavic 3 is now only $1549 and my decision was crystal clear! For new purchasers, add an RC Pro and the hub and a couple more batteries and you are all set, without any compromises. You even have an included RC-N1 for more flexibility! I already owned a Mavic 3, an RC-N1, and an RC Pro since December 2021, and wanted a backup bird, so I already knew how valuable the 7x telephoto is, and wouldn't give it up, nor would anyone else, who has actually used it recently, especially, since it is now effectively free! Giving it up saves nothing, and will reduce resale value by $300 to $500 down the road!

All the best parts of a Mavic 3 are in the classic and if the only thing difference is a zoom with a 1/2 sensor then thats not much to miss. No other platform is dependent on that for a selling point and if DJI thought it was the main featire they would not have produced an option without it.
The 7x telephoto is not a zoom. It is a fixed focal length optical lens at 7x compared to the main camera, a 162mm equivalent in 35mm terms.

If DJI didn't think it was a main selling point, they would not have included it in the Mavic 3, which got all the BUZZ! The Mavic 3 combines the best parts of the Mavic 2 line in one drone. No need to buy a M2P and an M2Z to have an optical 2x telephoto and a wide angle 1“ sensor. You now get a 4/3 sensor and a 7x telephoto in one drone without first swapping cameras, unlike the Inspire line! That's a very big deal!

The 7x telephoto is not a zoom. It is a fixed focal length optical lens at 7x compared to the main camera, a 162mm equivalent in 35mm terms.

If DJI didn't think it was a main selling point, they would not have included it in the Mavic 3, which got all the BUZZ! The Mavic 3 combines the best parts of the Mavic 2 line in one drone. No need to buy a M2P and an M2Z to have an optical 2x telephoto and a wide angle 1“ sensor. You now get a 4/3 sensor and a 7x telephoto in one drone without first swapping cameras, unlike the Inspire line! That's a very big deal!
That was my guess.
If I saw a use for it i would have one by now.

Nothing you have stated makes the Mavic 3 Classic a "better drone." It's a stripped down Mavic 3. It can't do anything the Mavic 3 can't do, while the Mavic 3 does everything the Mavic 3 Classic can, and comes with a 7x power set of binoculars, even if you never use them for photography!

Spoken like someone who has never used it, and is still reading reviews that are a year old, instead of the current state of the 7x telephoto, that supports both Spotlight and POI, and offers full manual control of the 7x camera with both JPG and DNG support. Find me one person who owns a Mavic 3 and who has actually used the 7x telephoto who believes it was "a waste" and that they would not miss it, if the Mavic 3 came without it! It will be a year before any Refurbished Mavic 3's are available. Today, the best drone and best priced drone is the DJI Refurbished Mavic 3, still available for less than the cost of a new Mavic 3 Classic. QED.
I guess whatever I mentioned before surely did not hit home.
Much better photos using the main camera and processed in post
Would give results that the secondary camera would not be able to touch.
Yes I do know what I am talking about here.
Go ahead and take a few photos with the main camera and then the secondary camera
crop them both the same size,and then tell me why the secondary camera is still worth it.
Do not have to own the mavic 3 ,as the camera speck comparisons speak for themselves.

If I saw a use for it i would have one by now.
Have you ever actually used it? Lots of very critical armchair skeptics, who initially thought the way you do, completely changed their minds, once they started using it, finding uses for it they they never conceived of before, even if it is never used for photography. Binoculars on a drone are a game changer!

Dozens of other posts from actual Mavic 3 users in other threads on this very topic can't all be wrong!

Have you ever actually used it? Lots of very critical armchair skeptics, who initially thought the way you do, completely changed their minds, once they started using it, finding uses for it they they never conceived of before, even if it is never used for photography. Binoculars on a drone are a game changer!

Dozens of other posts from actual Mavic 3 users in other threads on this very topic can't all be wrong!
As i mentioned before I have never used it.I am just stating my opinion on this.
And am not trying to start a big mess over this matter,which is really not worth it in the end.
Everyones opinion on these topics should be respected.And the words poor man's this and
that does not show proper respect.
Later

Reactions: pommy
As i mentioned before I have never used it.I am just stating my opinion on this.
And am not trying to start a big mess over this matter,which is really not worth it in the end.
Everyones opinion on these topics should be respected.And the words poor man's this and
that does not show proper respect.
Later
Surely you must understand how an armchair opinion about a major feature from someone that has never used that feature deserves to be questioned by those that have had access to that feature for over year, and are trying to share its utility and usefulness, with both you, and the many others who have yet to try it, especially when it is being misunderstood and mischaracterized. The only reason to buy the Mavic 3 Classic (which is advertised as a stripped down, cheaper version of the Mavic 3, aka "poor man's version") over the Mavic 3 is to save money. It doesn't. It also gives up one of its strongest features, that is worth paying for, to which every Mavic 3 owner will attest. In its simplest terms, consider the 7x telephoto camera a 7x pair of binoculars on your Mavic 3 that you can use to explore, and is also fully capable of also taking 12MP DNG stills and 4K 60fps video in good lighting, which rival all prior DJI camera drones, except those with a 1” sensor, like the P4P and M2P.

Last edited:
Ok guys enough ( @GadgetGuy ) discuss without going overboard.
Anymore reports and I will close this 🤷‍♂️

The first video in post number 38 is very informative and well worth watching.
Thank you for your input PAW.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe