DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why not to get the Fly More Combo?

I suspect this question gets asked for every DJI drone launch, give the perceived value of the Fly More why wouldn't you get it?

Obviously the number one reason is the cost. If you budget only allows for the drone then that's ok.

My math (which is suspect at best) on the MA2 has the Retail Value of the Fly More at US$1294, with the MSRP at $988. So for US$189 more than the base drone you get US$495 more stuff.

Now the caveat is that some of the DJI prices are way out of line to help inflate the perceived value.

$89 for the bag is ridiculous.
Battery Charging Hub at $69 is equally laughable. Piece of plastic with some wires running through it.
I'm guessing the filters are the only things that aren't unreasonable.

Why are you getting the Fly More? The extra batteries alone make it worth it?
yes, the batteries alone make it worth it. extra props are nice to have as well. Actually if you ever need to buy more then one battery your better off buying fly more and throwing away everything else.

Reactions: dawgpilot
The only way i think is to find something (powerbank?) to recharge rapidly the only battery i'll have.

Hmm, with what kind of powerbank do you want to charge the battery? I would not say that this is impossible, but I do not think that you can charge with a regular powerbank.

So i know i will not like the weight of this two extra batteries. The only way i think is to find something (powerbank?) to recharge rapidly the only battery i'll have.

Welcome to the forum @yonafunu

Hmm, with what kind of powerbank do you want to charge the battery? I would not say that this is impossible, but I do not think that you can charge with a regular powerbank.

Indeed, it would be an inefficient way to charge a battery, the powerbank required would far outweigh 2 extra batteries, and take up far more room.
Power losses in transfer would be unviable.
Like most DJI batteries, I don't think the MA2 batteries can be charged by powerbank anyway, you need mains or 12v.
Only way is to take lightweight charger and charge them at days end in your room or wherever.

Reactions: Butterfly Copper
@yonafunu: @MAvic_South_Oz is right. The theoretical powerbank will outweigh about two batteries - and probably outcost. And I doubt that you will find a charger that is more lightweight than the original one.

And (one more) I would doubt that you will find a bag that is more lightweight than the one in the combo.

Conclusion: Take the fly more combo. Case solved. :)

@yonafunu: @MAvic_South_Oz is right. The theoretical powerbank will outweigh about two batteries - and probably outcost. And I doubt that you will find a charger that is more lightweight than the original one.

And (one more) I would doubt that you will find a bag that is more lightweight than the one in the combo.

Conclusion: Take the fly more combo. Case solved. :)

I didn't like the Air V1 case , neither the M2 pro case from the fly more combo kit. I had the feeling i could broke something when i putted it inside. I'm looking for something close to the fly more mini case, hard outside but well compartimented, with a place for the drone and another one for the controller, that's all :)

For the powerbank, nobody uses a 10000mAh or 20000mAh with their drone ? Not a good idea ?

Welcome to the forum @yonafunu

Hi ! thanks ;)

I didn't like the Air V1 case , neither the M2 pro case from the fly more combo kit. I had the feeling i could broke something when i putted it inside. I'm looking for something close to the fly more mini case, hard outside but well compartimented, with a place for the drone and another one for the controller, that's all :)

For the powerbank, nobody uses a 10000mAh or 20000mAh with their drone ? Not a good idea ?

I thought the MA1 case was very well made, although a little funky.

The MA2 case looks horrific. Too soft and floppy looking. Looks like a $5 lunch bag you can get at Walmart.

Hi again.
It's efficiently transferring the power from one battery to another, it's never as efficient as using a battery power outright.
I think the mini could be charged from a USB, not sure the MA2 can at all.
Most DJI batteries NEED a mains or 12v source of power to charge their lipo batteries, and the MA2 has more like the usual intelligent lipo, with decent capacity.

The MA2 charger output is 13.2V, with watt output 38W. It is not charged through USB. The Mini charges through USB. Battery voltage is only 2S and with max wattage 18W in OC2/3 USB charge mode. In the case of the Mini, you could use any USB charger you wanted, unlike any of the other Mavics. Car charger for the MA2 appears to have comparable or less output wattage than the AC charger. The M2 car charger actually put out more watts/charged sooner than the AC charger.

It appears the MA2 hub is much like the hub for the other Mavics, where all it does (but intelligently) is charge the batteries sequentially whereas the Mini hub also acted as a power bank.
Granted the Mini charged through USB whereas the other Mavics were proprietary power inputs.

Funny how DJI specs for the car charger and hub specify time to charge one battery, but the AC charger doesn't say. With the MA2 hub you can connect up to 3 batteries. You could connect up to 4 batteries with the M2 hub. Some might say the sequential charging is a detraction, but it does eliminate having to switch batteries every 90 minutes or so when charging 2 or 3 of them. I'm sure there will be third party parallel chargers out there, but remember that means more watts/current needed at once to handle all the batteries at once. Initially there were problems with some third party M2 parallel chargers overheating.

Before I state this I'll preface this with I bought the fly-more because of the hardc ase from Empire Drone deal and I like having the multiple batteries, but I have the flymore for the air 1 and I argued with myself before that deal came, which put it over the edge for me.

Reason not to get:
1) with 30 min of flight time I will rarely use more than one battery at a time and probably never 3 (so only really saving 100 bucks for one extra battery)
2) I don't like the looks of the new case in the fly more,(maybe I'll change my mind when I see it) and I already have a canvas bag for my air that will work fine for the air 2
3) I've never even knicked a propellor so 2 extra is plenty
4) with only 2 batteries can easily live without charging hub.

so for 200 bucks I really only get about 100 dallars(extra bat) of added value that I will need.

That said the fly more is a great deal even if all you NEED is the 2 extra batteries and with the added hard case from Empire with no shipping and no tax, I opted to go that way, but I just don't get a lot of value out of the original flymore for the air 1.

The batteries are 115.00 each on Amazon... that is a big chunk of the combo pricing.

I contacted DJI support and they confimed that Goggles will be available for the Air 2 in a firmware update. And support for the upgraded RC controller. Not sure how long that takes but they said it was coming for the Air 2.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt