DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why People Hate Drones

LowCountryFlyer

Reactions
Surf the web much and you’re bound to run into a video or two of people getting into verbal or even physical altercations with people flying sUAS. While most of my experiences with drones and drone flyers has been pretty positive, there is, nonetheless a segment of the public which views drones in a very negative light. I’ve noticed as well that this phenomena is unique to modern quadcopters and never happened with other kinds of remote control aircraft. I think it has to do partly with the ubiquitous nature of these kinds of UAVs. Their VTOL capability, ease of control and low cost make them more accessible to the public and don’t require the additional discipline that conventional RC aircraft and helicopters did to gain mastery.

CONSPIRACY AND PARANOIA

The widespread use of sUAS amongst the public coupled with the integration of small, high resolution cameras into the airframe has led to a misconception that drones are part of an ever increasing surveillance state, despite the fact that in general, consumer drones have no more ability to photograph or shoot video than a GoPro or a smartphone camera does. This is a widespread fear and so much so that the city council of Deer Trail, CO, once entertained a bill to allow homeowners to shoot down UAVs overflying their property. Fortunately I don’t believe this was ever seriously considered to vote on, but the paranoia still exists. People in public places are often very irritated by the idea that someone with a drone could be filming them. The other concern is that people are using drones for electronic voyeurism and spying into people’s homes. Again, just like a cellphone camera, a consumer drone can’t peer through walls and see what you are doing at typical operating altitudes. Now there have been cases of people using drones to harass other people (see below). That’s a different animal altogether.

IDIOTS AMONG US

Think of how stupid the average person is and then realize that half of them are even stupider than that.”
- George Carlin

Another thing that irritates the general public - and deservedly so - is the idea of a drone falling out of the sky and hitting their person, their family or their property. Drones are powerful aircraft and can pack considerable speed and energy. Combine that with the sharp, spinning propeller blades on a quadcopter and put control of that machine into the hand of a careless or thoughtless, ignorant person and accidents are bound to happen. As mentioned above, the modern flight controllers associated with quadcopters also makes them more accessible to these types of people who now don’t need the additional cost and pilot discipline that more conventional RC aircraft did to become a general menace to the public. There is ample evidence of this on social media.

TROLLS AND GRIEFERS

Spend much time in an internet chat room or the comments section from a Facebook post, you’ll sooner or later run into these emotional parasites. There is a subsection of the public whose whole existence revolves around how much attention they can garner by inflicting misery and emotional distress for their own entertainment or their dumb little buddies’. The aversion of the public to being harassed by a flying camera like this just gives said people a tool through which to be an even bigger jerk. Another subset of these people are the attention seekers who intentionally use drones to do illegal or dangerous things with such as flying them near aircraft, over restricted areas like sporting events, etc. the combination of widespread access to social media combined with the drones’ camera makes it a tool ripe for this use.

Last edited:
I agree with @LowCountryFlyer. If all hobbyists / commercial drone pilots would just obey the rules (of course, read about them first and memorize them if needed), then much of the drone hating people would have very little to be concerned about.

However, the general public is too concerned, in my opinion, about non-government drones.

Check this out:

Police Drones

Kind Regards,

remotepilot

Reactions: Mavic Maveric
I fly an FPV multicopter not a drone.
But yeah, I try to get out of the people's way as far as possible and not to do stupid things.

People only need to see a reckless pilot flying their drone, with little regard to others, they'll dislike drones. They'll only imagine the worst-case scenario, which is someone getting hurt or property damage. Unfortunately, you can't assume everyone would fly responsibly.
Some places, where it was not a big deal if someone flies their drone, when an incident occurs, and the possibility of a litigation presents itself, then drones are banned.

Rules don't matter. Even if 99.99% of us follow the rules to a tee, the 0.01% that don't will be highlighted and promoted in the media. That is not to say we shouldn't comply with every reasonable law, but harping on the idea that we will somehow shake this pit-bull-like aggressive anti-drone media by being nice is a fairy tale.

Even if there was 100% compliance, you'd still have paranoid anti-droners running to the evening news to report their neighbor who was spying in their windows with a drone. I don't have the time to find it, but I recall not too long ago, there was a segment with a woman claiming someone was spying on her with a drone. Her proof? A newly installed surveillance camera. When the local news showed the 'proof', it was clear to anyone who's ever had a camera with IR lighting, that the "drone" was nothing more than a spiderweb/insect floating in front of the camera. Truth didn't matter. The news dutifully spewed off that it WAS a drone, and this underscored the need for additional regulations.

You cannot win this one. Drone (or multi-rotor, if you so prefer) issues are now so polarized and politicized, and the media is so firmly entrenched in the negative sensationalism, that we will never get a fair shake - even if we do everything by the book. Anti-drone sentiment is approaching the same fevered pitch as the gun debates.

ETA: Found the news report: 'It's disgusting'; surveillance shows drone flying outside woman's window at night

Last edited:
I can tell you right now that I'm gonna pretty much hate all delivery drones, like Google's. Google’s Wing has landed the FAA’s first approval for drone delivery

I don't care to see this crap cluttering up the skies (or hear them) delivering other crap to members of our already too materialist society. I dunno, maybe it won't be as bad as I'm thinking it will be...

Rules don't matter. Even if 99.99% of us follow the rules to a tee, the 0.01% that don't will be highlighted and promoted in the media.

ETA: Found the news report: 'It's disgusting'; surveillance shows drone flying outside woman's window at night

Rules don't matter if they can't be enforced reasonably either.
If a rogue element doesn't register themselves or their drones, and they don't get caught, it's just the good guys that are put out adapting to all sorts of new rules and enforcement.
It's like banning guns and knives, the good will give them up, the bad won't.

So how many extra airspace authority personnel are going to be employed in countries experiencing great changes in procedures now and shortly ?
I'm betting not a whole lot.

That news story link.
Does it look like a drone anyones has ever seen, angled lighting, couldn't make out a drone in that footage at all.
If it was the same 4 or 5 seconds played over and over again, it could quite possible have been some sort of light reflection picked up by the camera lens.
Did she say she heard a drone, because she should have been able to.

with regards to the use of drones for delivery,the concept is still a long way off in practice,it might work in rural areas, but having drones buzzing around urban habitats is not going to happen any time soon,i think that we as UAV flyers should just keep on enjoying our hobby,everything we do these days is governed by rules and regs and UAV flying is no different,there are always going to be people who believe what they see in the media,and the media,love to portray the negative side of any report,no matter what the subject.

Reactions: TTP and RZR12
News story about peeping drone. That's not a drone, it looks like a spider web as the poster said. With IR cameras, you see all kinds of weird stuff at night. From the looks of her property layout, any drone zooming up and tilted like that should have been in the tree, or on the ground the next morning after hitting a limb.

Right, and that's point. It very obviously wasn't a drone, and yet the media unquestioningly parroted that it was, adding it wasn't illegal. Pure anti-drone propaganda, and no drone was even involved. They will find boogie men where none exist. It is a losing battle. Thus, trying to win points with the public through compliance is pointless. Again, that is not to say we shouldn't comply or be respectful, but to think we can change the tide when the opposition has the media on its side is naive.

Reactions: mereflyer
Right, and that's point. It very obviously wasn't a drone, and yet the media unquestioningly parroted that it was, adding it wasn't illegal. Pure anti-drone propaganda, and no drone was even involved. They will find boogie men where none exist. It is a losing battle. Thus, trying to win points with the public through compliance is pointless. Again, that is not to say we shouldn't comply or be respectful, but to think we can change the tide when the opposition has the media on its side is naive.

Yeah there are sensational stories about this stuff everywhere such as this piece from the normally respectable BBC.

Drones 'being used to harass people'

Additional bonus points for the use of photo of a DJI Phantom with the 'angry eyes' stickers on it to make it seem even more menacing. GRRRRRRR!!!!!! I'M A MAD DRONE!

Things are not far off. Alphabets Wing got FAA approval to begin U.S. commercial drone delivery.
2DNet wing is the first drone delivery company to receive Air carrier certification from the FAA.
They deliver the package while hoovering over the property, and lowering the package by some sort of
line to the waiting customer. And, its all done by using the phone to get your package delivered.
Very impressive.

Things are not far-removed. Letters in order Wing got FAA endorsement to start U.S. business ramble conveyance.

2DNet wing is the principal ramble conveyance organization to get Air transporter accreditation from the FAA.

They convey the bundle while hoovering over the property, and bringing down the bundle by some kind of

line to the holding up client. Furthermore, its everything done by utilizing the telephone to get your bundle conveyed.

Extremely amazing.

It might help in some cases to adopt the "let them see for themselves policy", by offering to give them a copy of the images/video taken by your drone/UAV/quad etc. (Might also help in some cases to let them try the controls!!!)

I know it would not work in all cases, but if this became a general rule and used by all drone pilots...
It might just start to work in our favour - who knows - might even get some converts

Reactions: NAVMAV and naiku
Rules don't matter. Even if 99.99% of us follow the rules to a tee, the 0.01% that don't will be highlighted and promoted in the media. That is not to say we shouldn't comply with every reasonable law, but harping on the idea that we will somehow shake this pit-bull-like aggressive anti-drone media by being nice is a fairy tale.

Even if there was 100% compliance, you'd still have paranoid anti-droners running to the evening news to report their neighbor who was spying in their windows with a drone. I don't have the time to find it, but I recall not too long ago, there was a segment with a woman claiming someone was spying on her with a drone. Her proof? A newly installed surveillance camera. When the local news showed the 'proof', it was clear to anyone who's ever had a camera with IR lighting, that the "drone" was nothing more than a spiderweb/insect floating in front of the camera. Truth didn't matter. The news dutifully spewed off that it WAS a drone, and this underscored the need for additional regulations.

You cannot win this one. Drone (or multi-rotor, if you so prefer) issues are now so polarized and politicized, and the media is so firmly entrenched in the negative sensationalism, that we will never get a fair shake - even if we do everything by the book. Anti-drone sentiment is approaching the same fevered pitch as the gun debates.

I’d be surprised if that drone at night could see anything. But why hell is the guy flying at that time of the night near a house. Looks to me like if he got close he would crash in to the tree. I like how they used another drone to make up footage. I did have a neighbor tell me a drone was scoping out a few houses to steel stuff. I assured her it wasn’t me as I don’t fly near houses. But I also told her it is a wide angle and to look in to someone’s window and see anything at all would be pretty difficult and asking for a crash. I don’t know maybe the zoom is different. I find all this hard to believe, there are so many easier ways to do that more incognito instead of a swarm of bees and flashing lights

It would be interesting if someone started a 'fake drone news' website (if they haven't already) to document each of these unfounded accusations. Kind of like the fakehatecrimes.org website.

I've either been very lucky or I'm just a nice guy! LOL. All interactions I've had with the GP whilst flying my drone have been perfectly civil. Most people are just inquisitive, some are just curious and others are just oblivious! I had one lady who took exception to me flying over her property, but when I showed her, on my screen, what I was I filming (a church steeple next door) she was absolutely fine. (I'm in the UK BTW).

I have a neighbor that hates my UAV’s. He has actually called the police on me and I have never crossed his property line and out of respect I don’t even point in his direction. He like all others wears a tin foil hat. We sat down for a talk the other night about other things and finally showed him the actual capabilities of the UAV and he understands them better now. Education is what the public needs. Everyone thinks we are flying a device that can zoom in on a gnat at 300000 feet

Reactions: NAVMAV and Afremont
As far as most people seem to be concerned, your quad has at least 4 900:1 optical zoom cameras that can see in total darkness, and penetrate, at least, 24" of reinforced concrete. Seeing through their clothing from miles away is a piece of cake. Not to mention the super sensitive microphones that can hear them whispering as they cower under their beds.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf