DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why the hatin on drones?

Yes, for flying drones at least and other model aircraft. Don't think I am ready for Falcon Heavy or a DC10 just yet though...LOL I would like to learn to at least fly a small manned aircraft someday.

" pilots monitor and take over at anytime"

Is the key thing. If or when it breaks they have to earn their salary and salvage the situation. And those responses take training, thinking and skill amongst other things. Years or decades of training, scenarios and hard work combined with an intimate understanding of how things work come into play then.

Agreed...

AClineman - I’m flying RC for odd 40-years now and drones roughly 7-years (when I built my own hexacopter around an Arduino). Today I still fly my WW II beauties, helicopters and FPV drone-racing but ALSO my Mavic PP end Sparky; to me it’s 2 totally different hobbies, RC is (as all stated already) the build and fly of the planes, coming together of the RC pilots and show-off a bit, the effort out-weigh the cost etc. My MPP and Sparky is purely photography, and air photography and as someone else stated almost like having a very stable flying tri-pod with a sense of intelligence built into the micro-controllers. To me NOT a RC copter or plane.‼️

I think he is correct in that anyone and their mother can fly a drone. This means any idiot can spend the money and do dumb things with it. However, tech has improved which not only makes this possible but also makes them _far_ more useful. So, for example, the same thing could be said about the car vs horse. Cars ruined it for people who rode horses. It is still a natural progression.
Is an FPV Racer considered a drone? if so then they do not fly themselves. I used to fly RC Heli's and had one hell of a time switching to FPV. There are times when I did wish 'it flew itself'.

Reactions: Tropdiver
A couple thoughts on why people hate on droners: Hollywood and the News media have been successful at putting out a less than warm and fuzzy feeling surrounding the name "drone". One member said a lady asked him if he was the operator of one of those "killer drones". Every time the military misses a target or the bad guys hole-up in a school and innocents get killed, the media blows it up, people think "those evil drones". Hollywood has for several years now been incorporating drones into the bad guys arsenal of evil toys to spy, attack, blow up, sneek in to a secret meeting like a fly on the wall, you get the picture. So it's no wonder the general populas has a general feeling of distrust where the name DRONE comes up.
Personally, I tell people I bought a flying camera, or a quad copter. The name drone is rather a put-down anyway, it means male worker bee. How boring and humdrum.

Reactions: ROBERTNCREST
Awful analogy. Cars are an upgrade to horses, while drones aren't an upgrade to anything.
Flying cameras are absolutely an upgrade to a 26 ft selfie stick. Before affordable flying cams you had to get your "really cool" footage with a helo at about $1500 an hour. Looking at it from that point of view, a MavPro is very much an upgrade.

Reactions: Classic flyer
A couple thoughts on why people hate on droners: Hollywood and the News media have been successful at putting out a less than warm and fuzzy feeling surrounding the name "drone". One member said a lady asked him if he was the operator of one of those "killer drones". Every time the military misses a target or the bad guys hole-up in a school and innocents get killed, the media blows it up, people think "those evil drones". Hollywood has for several years now been incorporating drones into the bad guys arsenal of evil toys to spy, attack, blow up, sneek in to a secret meeting like a fly on the wall, you get the picture. So it's no wonder the general populas has a general feeling of distrust where the name DRONE comes up.
Personally, I tell people I bought a flying camera, or a quad copter. The name drone is rather a put-down anyway, it means male worker bee. How boring and humdrum.
Wow man you really take to personally...some of what you say is spot on...take a deep breath and relax, the haters will always be here...be safe fly safe...and don't be afraid to call it a "drone" that is after all what it is.... a mindless worker bee!

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Flying cameras are absolutely an upgrade to a 26 ft selfie stick. Before affordable flying cams you had to get your "really cool" footage with a helo at about $1500 an hour. Looking at it from that point of view, a MavPro is very much an upgrade.

I wasn't talking about selfie sticks, I was talking about RC planes and helicopters. In regards to the hobby, drones are not an upgrade to either of those.

You can't say that drones are "an upgrade" to RC helicopters. They are entirely differents things and drones are less efficient because of the smaller props.

I wasn't talking about selfie sticks, I was talking about RC planes and helicopters. In regards to the hobby, drones are not an upgrade to either of those.

You can't say that drones are "an upgrade" to RC helicopters. They are entirely differents things and drones are less efficient because of the smaller props.

Drones are pretty efficient, if you use them right... lots of data right on your screen. I used to have some R/C cars and they are a blast. R/C helicopters are a totally different thing. It's like 13 different flight commands on the controller? I'm talking 20 years ago? I don't know what the industry is like now'

Reactions: Tropdiver
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliassmith02