DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why the Mavic is still my favorite drone, almost 3 years later.

Former Member

Reactions
It's been almost 3 short years since the Mavic came out, and incredibly, it's still my favorite drone. I say incredibly, because technology evolves so quickly, that I thought the Mavic would be gone with the wind by now. I couldnt have been more wrong. Not only has it remained in a class by itself, but it has shown it's long term durability, reliability, trustworthiness, and rock solid construction, even after being subjected to the punishment I have seen come across my workbench. I estimate that less than 10% of the Mavics I repair are total losses, even though some have been dead stick and dropped from 300' up, they lived to fight another day. The arch enemy of any drone is the salt water, but if you manage to keep it away from that, you and you Mavic could be friends for years to come.

Now that The Mavic 2 has come out, DJI has made a great product even better. Yes its more complicated to repair, but the design and features just got better.

When I think of a Mavic Pro, I think of my dads old Plymouth Valiant with a slant 6. The Valiant didnt have air, or power brakes, and it sometimes didnt start in the rain, but the engine lasted until the body panels and floor boards had long since rusted away.

If you like this thread, please click "like" at the bottom.

Last edited:
I have no intentions of selling my MP. Once my buddy saw my MP, he quickly sold his Phantom for the Pro in 2017. Neither of us are in a rush to upgrade. Sure the newer versions have some nice features but mine flies so well that cost wise I just can't see jumping yet. Too bad DJI has a attitude of each model being unique to itself. I got a lot of money tied up in my MP gear that is useless if I upgrade.

It's been almost 3 short years since the Mavic came out, and incredibly, it's still my favorite drone. I say incredibly, because technology evolves so quickly, that I thought the Mavic would be gone with the wind by now. I couldnt have been more wrong. Not only has it remained in a class by itself, but it has shown it's long term durability, reliability, trustworthiness, and rock solid construction, even after being subjected to the punishment I have seen come across my workbench. I estimate that less than 10% of the Mavics I repair are total losses, even though some have been dead stick and dropped from 300' up, they lived to fight another day. The arch enemy of any drone is the salt water, but if you manage to keep it away from that, you and you Mavic could be friends for years to come.

Now that The Mavic 2 has come out, DJI has made a great product even better. Yes its more complicated to repair, but the design and features just got better.

When I think of a Mavic Pro, I think of my dads old Plymouth Valiant with a slant 6. The valiant didnt have air, and it sometimes didnt start in the rain, but the engine lasted until the body panels and floor boards had long since rusted away.

could not agree more my MPP does a fantastic job and i hope it will last me till i have to give up flying for whatever reason

When I think of a Mavic Pro, I think of my dads old Plymouth Valiant with a slant 6. The valiant didnt have air, and it sometimes didnt start in the rain, but the engine lasted until the body panels and floor boards had long since rusted away.

I'm really glad to hear this, especially from someone that certainly knows his stuff!

Me being poor can only afford the Mavic Pro, yeah I know - 1st world problems.

But I have to agree, although I haven't tried any other Dji product, I see no reason for the upgrade when this drone does me so well!

My motto - don't fix what isn't broken!

I'm new in the world of drones though I'm late in life. I have a Spark and a Mavic Pro and I marvel at the technology! I've spent 50+ years in rotary wing (helicopter) aviation and have witnessed the technological advances in helicopters; amazing at times but maintains the rudimentary. The Spark and Mavic are marvels when you compare their capabilities to helicopter general aviation. That you can fly these drones autonomously through the use of external software is also quite amazing and they do it with amazing accuracy and perfection. I really believe the only thing you could do to make it better would be the ability to load the software package into the drone and make it truly independent on a designed mission but retain video. Who knows maybe someday soon that will also become a reality.

I'm new in the world of drones though I'm late in life. I have a Spark and a Mavic Pro and I marvel at the technology! I've spent 50+ years in rotary wing (helicopter) aviation and have witnessed the technological advances in helicopters; amazing at times but maintains the rudimentary. The Spark and Mavic are marvels when you compare their capabilities to helicopter general aviation. That you can fly these drones autonomously through the use of external software is also quite amazing and they do it with amazing accuracy and perfection. I really believe the only thing you could do to make it better would be the ability to load the software package into the drone and make it truly independent on a designed mission but retain video. Who knows maybe someday soon that will also become a reality.
For me, that's what Litchi does. I just design the mission parameters and way points, press start, and sit back in a chair with some sweet tea and enjoy the display.

For me, that's what Litchi does. I just design the mission parameters and way points, press start, and sit back in a chair with some sweet tea and enjoy the display.
That brings up an interesting dilemma for me. I have designed a mission that set my drone on a 1 mile out and return. Basically I'm wanting to launch from my home (tennis court across the street) and start mission which the first waypoint and point of interest are at 1 mile. Then bring it home by selecting two additional way points, one off to the side of my house with my house being another POI. Third waypoint is nearly directly overhead of the landing. At issue is I would lose line of sight visibility almost immediately because the drone will be flying over 150' + trees/forrest for most of the journey. I believe because I won't have visibility of the drone for most of the 10 minute mission it's a "no go"! Is that a correct assumption?

Reactions: Former Member
According to my reading of the regs, that is correct. All of the flight must be VLOS (visual line of sight) and the video feed doesn’t qualify as VLOS.

Do people fly without VLOS? Of course. All the time. But they are taking a chance.
Bob M.

According to my reading of the regs, that is correct. All of the flight must be VLOS (visual line of sight) and the video feed doesn’t qualify as VLOS.

Do people fly without VLOS? Of course. All the time. But they are taking a chance.
Bob M.
I certainly don't dispute what you're saying so it will remain a fantasy flight for the time being! But this will show what the route would look like initially!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 07.10.56.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 07.10.56.png
    998.2 KB · Views: 23
I still have my Mavic Pro and still fly it often. It was my first so it will always have a special place in my heart.

I have to agree about the Pro. I got mine in October of 2017. Flew it into my catfish pond on the first day. Stupid mistake. I took it inside and dried it out for a few days, put a drop of light oil on the motor spindles and it hasn't missed a trick since. I'm convinced, short of backing them into a brick wall, you just about can't hurt them.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d