DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Michael Gilbert

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Since 2017, I've been utilizing DJI drones. My initial drone was the Phantom 3 Advanced, and I've since acquired almost every drone they've released, including the Mavic 3 Cine and the Mavic 3 Pro Cine. When I obtained my Part 107 certification, the Mavic 2 Pro was the optimal choice for surveying and inspection work. Presently, I still heavily rely on the Mavic 2 Pro for professional assignments, as the Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Pro fall short in even the most basic mapping tasks independently. This was the primary motivation for upgrading to the Mavic 3 and the Mavic 3 Pro, to eventually retire the Mavic 2 Pro. However, this hasn't been the case, as crucial third-party developers like Litchi, DroneDeploy, Zeitview Pilot, and others are unable to adapt their applications to function with the Mavic 3 Pro. Although the Mavic 3 Pro possesses waypoint capabilities which is a nice move forward, it pales in comparison to Litchi and the other third-party apps I mentioned earlier. I relies the Mavic 3 Enterprise line exist and it's SDK as been released but why must we spend more money on it when the Mavic 3 Pro can do the same thing if allowed. The Mavic 2 Pro isn't limited by the Mavic 2 Enterprise' existence, right? It would be awesome if the same was true for the Mavic 3 Pro.

I genuinely believe that the Mavic 3 Pro has the potential to be the top drone on the market once third-party applications augment it with the missing functionalities found in the Fly app. Until then, the Mavic 3 Pro remains a significant letdown.

DJI, I implore you to reconsider.

You might want to post this where DJI are 'forced' to read it e.g.

Since 2017, I've been utilizing DJI drones. My initial drone was the Phantom 3 Advanced, and I've since acquired almost every drone they've released, including the Mavic 3 Cine and the Mavic 3 Pro Cine. When I obtained my Part 107 certification, the Mavic 2 Pro was the optimal choice for surveying and inspection work. Presently, I still heavily rely on the Mavic 2 Pro for professional assignments, as the Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Pro fall short in even the most basic mapping tasks independently. This was the primary motivation for upgrading to the Mavic 3 and the Mavic 3 Pro, to eventually retire the Mavic 2 Pro. However, this hasn't been the case, as crucial third-party developers like Litchi, DroneDeploy, Zeitview Pilot, and others are unable to adapt their applications to function with the Mavic 3 Pro. Although the Mavic 3 Pro possesses waypoint capabilities which is a nice move forward, it pales in comparison to Litchi and the other third-party apps I mentioned earlier. I relies the Mavic 3 Enterprise line exist and it's SDK as been released but why must we spend more money on it when the Mavic 3 Pro can do the same thing if allowed. The Mavic 2 Pro isn't limited by the Mavic 2 Enterprise' existence, right? It would be awesome if the same was true for the Mavic 3 Pro.

I genuinely believe that the Mavic 3 Pro has the potential to be the top drone on the market once third-party applications augment it with the missing functionalities found in the Fly app. Until then, the Mavic 3 Pro remains a significant letdown.

The Mavic 2 Pro and the Mav 3 Enterprise aircraft both have mechanical shutters which makes for faster and more accurate mapping. Hence the SDK for those since I would imagine this was the projected use-case scenario when they designed those drones.
For the rest of us flying consumer level drones without mechanical shutters, it is possible to do mapping, at slower speeds and more overlap so we do see SDKs for some of the newer drones but without the GPS location precision that real mapping requires.
I guess it depends on what you want to do. You can attach an RTK module to the Mavic 3E but not the Mav 3 Pro. There is a mapping package for the 3E with an RTK module and base station that allows centimeter level accuracy - but it's over $7000.

You might want to post this where DJI are 'forced' to read it e.g.

Yes, DJI is aware of this poll!

The Mavic 2 Pro and the Mav 3 Enterprise aircraft both have mechanical shutters which makes for faster and more accurate mapping. Hence the SDK for those since I would imagine this was the projected use-case scenario when they designed those drones.
For the rest of us flying consumer level drones without mechanical shutters, it is possible to do mapping, at slower speeds and more overlap so we do see SDKs for some of the newer drones but without the GPS location precision that real mapping requires.
I guess it depends on what you want to do. You can attach an RTK module to the Mavic 3E but not the Mav 3 Pro. There is a mapping package for the 3E with an RTK module and base station that allows centimeter level accuracy - but it's over $7000.
I didn’t think the MP2 had a mechanical shutter 🤔

Reactions: AMann
The M2P has an electronic shutter only. But OP is right, it’s probably the best budget mapping drone DJI currently has (besides the RTK enabled larger more expensive ones). The DJ I decision with not releasing a Mavic 3 SDK will cause a lot of people to decide not to buy one.

Last edited:
Correct - I don't remember where I read that it did. There's an interesting comparison of the readout speeds of the sensors on the M2P and the M3. The faster the readout speed, the smaller the rolling shutter effect and the more accurate the mapping missions.
M2P readout speed is about 51 milliseconds.
M3 readout speed is about 16 milliseconds.

Reactions: Dr_Zoidberg
Unfortunately, DJI is doing what they think will make them more money. Saying only a few mavic 3 owners want the SDK released is absurd. I want it it released, and I don't even care about mapping. I wrote my own app for the mavic pro and flew with it 100% of the time. This also makes owning a mavic 3 less enjoyable for programmers like me. And you don't even have to do much programming. DJI does the hard work. The fly app is very limited and could be greatly improved.

My situation is the same as in post #1 with Michael, except I am using the MA2. I had to buy this as my second drone as I gave up on the sdk for the M3. I am sure that most out there, having the M3, would be very happy if the sdk was released. The M3 is a great drone & would be even greater if integrated with some 3rd party apps. DJI has lost their credibility in this field by not listening to the market out there. A question which should be asked of M3 users is 'who thought the sdk would not be available for the M3'. I was certainly misled.

'who thought the sdk would not be available for the M3'.
Yes, this together with DJI not allowing 4g connectivity to work outside China gives us a very negative opinion of DJI. Unfortunately, they're almost a monopoly and they know it. Maybe the justice department should start a antitrust prosecution against them like they did with Microsoft and Google.

Maybe the justice department should start a antitrust prosecution against them like they did with Microsoft and Google.
The US Justice Department has no jurisdiction over a Chinese company.

But what's their price tag? Didn't Skydio recently announce that they are dropping their consumer level range?

There's competition. Have you seen this?
Competition for what?
According to the CEO of Skydio, it's aimed at first responders, infrastructure operators, and the US and allied militaries.

Discussion here suggests it's price would be in the vicinity of $15K and Skydio have no interest in selling this to retail customers.

This is not competition for any of the drones our members fly.
Skydio couldn't compete and isn't interested in competing in the consumer drone market.

Last edited:
^I'm aware. I have a Skydio 2+. I understand Skydio has departed. My take is they decided to focus on what they do best and that isn't consumers.

Someone mentioned the US government should have a hand in teh free market and somehow ensure competition when there already is competition, just not in every segment. There's no monopoly unless companies are colluding and it's not the government's job to make sure there is a healthy mix of drone companies competing in the different segments including teh consumer segment.

There is no antitrust action warranted at this point. What we have is other companies failing because they suck; can't fix that. Maybe the US government should pay Skydio to sell X10 drones to consumers for half-price or quarter-price or whatever it takes so they can compete with the equivalent DJI drone....I would buy one! ;)

Reactions: mobilehomer
The US Justice Department has no jurisdiction over a Chinese company.
I think they have jurisdiction over anything sold in the US. The EU always takes American tech companies like Google to court.

For economic reasons, for the continuity of the Enterprise line. NO!
Not in our lifetime, you can light up a candle to Saint Drone and Saint DJI and on obcourse! Saint SDK!
No way Jose! It ain't going to happen. Keep spending your money, just like me. I have a M3 Pro & a M3E.
It is what it is! Life sucks and then you buy a DJI. Or buy those overpriced, inefficient, ugly American Drones!
By the way, I will add a Wingtra to my fleet, no matter the high price!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne