DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why the new app for the Mavic Mini?

Cyber3xpert

Reactions
DJI released the Mavic Mini Oct 30th. But you have to get a whole different app to fly it. Why couldn’t the leading camera drone company in the world just update DJI GO 4? Thoughts?

My opinion is this:

the whole idea of the new app is simply to make it easier for new flyers, because of the weight of the mini, many of the features that are available on the bigger mavs are not there, so it makes sense to simplify the app.

Anyone have any idea when the Android version of "DJI Fly" will be available for download? Preordered the Mavic Mini, would just like to get started familiarizing myself with the app and the built-in tutorials ...

Makes sense to me.

DJI GO has a lot of clutter and is fairly intimidating and complex for new users. I suspect cleaning it up for a new and simple drone would have added more clutter and confusion. They probably made the decision for a new app based on the target audience.

Anyone have any idea when the Android version of "DJI Fly" will be available for download? Preordered the Mavic Mini, would just like to get started familiarizing myself with the app and the built-in tutorials ...

On the mavic mini quick start guide on the DJI website, you can see at the bottom, DJI Fly - download on the App Store and google play. So I would think that DJI would make an android version of the app, because if they didn’t, the millions of people with android phones won’t be able to fly the mavic mini.

On the mavic mini quick start guide on the DJI website, you can see at the bottom, DJI Fly - download on the App Store and google play. So I would think that DJI would make an android version of the app, because if they didn’t, the millions of people with android phones won’t be able to fly the mavic mini.

I thought you were asking IF dji was releasing the android version. My bad.

Don't know but unlikely. The Go4 app is for the more advanced drones. The fly app is a simple interface for the Mavic Mini, imho.
My opinion is this:

Don't know but unlikely. The Go4 app is for the more advanced drones. The fly app is a simple interface for the Mavic Mini, imho.
The user Interface looks simpler, of course... but everything we know from Go4 is there, as far as I can see in the reviewer/influencer videos on YouTube. It is just redesigned and streamlined for a better overview for beginners... but that overview would also help advanced users... and everyone looking at the screen for the first / for a short time. In all the menus you could easily unlock menu items from the more advanced drones, because the main functions and therefore menu branches are the same.

But that are all guesses from me... But from my professional point of view as a graphics designer – and I also did some UI / UX projects – I think DJI has to grow when even third-party apps "look better" and sometimes work better. Their birds are the absolute industry standard and loved by many ... in App Design, they could now score points and in my opinion, they will not leave it with the Mavic Mini. Why should they redesign or newly design an app for beginners and wouldn‘t let advanced users participate in that newly built app (with state of the art code and design!)?

As far as I saw youtube videos there is no map like dji go 4 app has. Anyone else noticed?

You can fade in the map by tapping the bottom left corner... like I said before, everything seems to be there, but faded out for a better view.

Timecode: 7:19
i think that they have tried to keep it simple for the new flyer, if there is to much info on the screen it can be a distraction,as people spend to much time looking at the screen ,instead of watching what the drone is doing,dont forget there are no obstacle avoidance sensors to save the day

November 11th. It wouldn’t help if you could get it early as it won’t work without the drone.

Reactions: Cyber3xpert
I wonder if this new drone will fly with the Litchi app. This would be a deal killer for me as I much prefer Litchi over any DJI apps in general

I wonder if this new drone will fly with the Litchi app. This would be a deal killer for me as I much prefer Litchi over any DJI apps in general
As I have read so far Litchi had not pronounced there support for the Mini yet.

Is there any chance that once the Mav mini is added to the go 4 app, that the mini would get more modes like Tracking, gestures and other missing features?

Is there any chance that once the Mav mini is added to the go 4 app, that the mini would get more modes like Tracking, gestures and other missing features?
The Mini will have it’s own app and not the go4. The new app is called Go fly and release date is on monday.

I have already asked the Litchi devs for that.

Litchi is based on DJI's SDK, a set of libraries which handle the drone communicaiton part. So, as long as the SDK does not support the MM Litchi can't, too.
At this time the devs had no information from DJI if and when their SDK will be enhanced for the MM.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143