DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly replacing DJI Go 4?

calmar81

Reactions
Hey guys & girls, please excuse the duplicate content. I already posted this question in the Mini forum:

Does anyone of you know if the app „DJI Fly“ that will be needed for flying the Mavic Mini, will also be the new app (Replacing DJI go 4) for all current DJI drones?

Because I saw an M2 in this Mavic Mini review-video:
(Timecode: 6:55)

I must say I would really like the overall look & user experience of the DJI Fly app for all of my birds, not just my preordered Mini... and also to have just one for all of them, of course.

Hey guys & girls, please excuse the duplicate content. I already posted this question in the Mini forum:

Does anyone of you know if the app „DJI Fly“ that will be needed for flying the Mavic Mini, will also be the new app (Replacing DJI go 4) for all current DJI drones?

Because I saw an M2 in this Mavic Mini review-video:
(Timecode: 6:55)

I must say I would really like the overall look & user experience of the DJI Fly app for all of my birds, not just my preordered Mini... and also to have just one for all of them, of course.
If I had the opportunity to see into the future I probably had put my money to the superjackpot on a safe number. I don’t think anybody here knows what you ask for. And about that picture showing a Mavic2 in the clip is probably just a coincident when the app still not is released and they still have time to fix those bugs. But who will knows about the future?

They did separate out the P4 and Mavic from Go, making the original Go 3, and the new Go 4. So Fly is probably just going to be for the mini, and maybe future models in its class, and Go 4 continued for the big boys.

Sorry... you’re right @Viking, we cannot look into the future but that picture of an M2 in the app - at least for me - looked like a glimpse into it. Maybe I just wanted to speculate with you and weigh the odds. That dark background and different look of the M2 drone picture doesn’t look like a bug or coincidence... and why make a more convenient app with bigger viewscreen and other improvements over Go4 just for that small, simplified Mini?

@DanMan32 okay... The Mavic Air was my first drone, so I didn’t know, how they made it back in the days of P3... but I mean, if they made „DJI Fly“ just for the Mini, why spend extra-efforts on improvements and new look. Just doesn’t make sense for me.

Sorry... you’re right @Viking, we cannot look into the future but that picture of an M2 in the app - at least for me - looked like a glimpse into it. Maybe I just wanted to speculate with you and weigh the odds. That dark background and different look of the M2 drone picture doesn’t look like a bug or coincidence... and why make a more convenient app with bigger viewscreen and other improvements over Go4 just for that small, simplified Mini?

@DanMan32 okay... The Mavic Air was my first drone, so I didn’t know, how they made it back in the days of P3... but I mean, if they made „DJI Fly“ just for the Mini, why spend extra-efforts on improvements and new look. Just doesn’t make sense for me.

The DJI Fly app was made for the Mavic MIni and lacks a lot of the features found in DJI Go 4, especially in regard to camera settings. It may be a new look but it would make no sense to use DJI FLy to control the more advanced drones in the Mavic product line

Reactions: bushie and calmar81
The DJI Fly app was made for the Mavic MIni and lacks a lot of the features found in DJI Go 4, especially in regard to camera settings. It may be a new look but it would make no sense to use DJI FLy to control the more advanced drones in the Mavic product line
I think they may just hide the functions like shutter speed, picture format, panorama and many other modes in the app’s menus if the drone model does not have these features.

This is also the case with DJI Go 4, if I connect and compare the menu items of Mavic 2 Pro and Air.

I think they may just hide the functions like shutter speed, picture format, panorama and many other modes in the app’s menus if the drone model does not have these features.

This is also the case with DJI Go 4, if I connect and compare the menu items of Mavic 2 Pro and Air.

Yes of course, but we don't know for sure if that is how DJI Fly has been designed. In any case it doesn't matter one way or the other so long as it's a stable build without major bugs.

Reactions: calmar81
Yes of course, but we don't know for sure if that is how DJI Fly has been designed. In any case it doesn't matter one way or the other so long as it's a stable build without major bugs.
Yes, you’re absolutely right... stability and reliability is what really matters!

But I would really love having a new app with better user experience, design and functions for the bigger birds that maybe weren’t possible in Go4 because of software constraints.

Yes, you’re absolutely right... stability and reliability is what really matters!

But I would really love having a new app with better user experience, design and functions for the bigger birds that maybe weren’t possible in Go4 because of software constraints.

What don't you like about DJI Go 4? For me it's mostly about finding settings - the process is not overly intuitive and takes a while to get used to.

Reactions: calmar81
What don't you like about DJI Go 4? For me it's mostly about finding settings - the process is not overly intuitive and takes a while to get used to.
That's right, that's the same with me. I also find it not very intuitive and the controls are a bit small and confusing. That's why I find that what I've seen from DJI Fly, very promising ... also that you can see more camera image and hide unnecessary information or can show at any time.

For many, DJI Fly may seem unprofessional ... but I do not consider a simplified and tidy user interface as less professional because it gives me more visibility and freedom while flying.

As long as they keep the advanced features easily accessible and perhaps even better cleaned up than in Go 4, DJI Fly could really become the better software, as far as I can see. That's why I've put my thesis in the subject :)

Last edited:
Reactions: deleted member 877
As I mentioned in a previous post, the most likely reason is that it allows DJI to more tightly control the feature set of their low end product, and their revenue. I suspect the API itself is different, and won’t work the same way the current API does. If that guess is correct, no 3rd party software will work with it either, without being re-written. Litchi has already announced that they won’t support it until they find out more about it.

The Mini isn’t fully hitting shelves until what... Nov 11th.
The new app isn’t on the iOS or Android stores yet... I didn’t see it, if there please share.

All new App and not much known about it, but in short time it‘ll evolve. DJI doesn’t hold 78% percent consumer drone industry being low minded... they’re pretty savvy and very attentive to market shifts and competition developments.

The Go4 is getting bloated and interface aged compared to new 3rd party tools. Actually as implied above regarding minimal interfaces; the newer interfaces are becoming more streamlined and present info when needed or required. Even MS Office looks minimal, more options not displayed until required or dependent on attached components.

There are currently multiple apps for DJI: Go3, Go4, GSP, & Pilot... a few other non-primary for specialty: thermal, Ag, Team tools, etc. The 3rd Party Developers can fully support all platforms from each DJI app within one uncluttered app... Go4 hasn’t supported all new platforms recently; the Pilot app as example with M2E series. May indicate the ability to write in new separate modules into Go4 is getting complex or overly bloated.

In current development tools, the need to have separate low end product vs high end app isn’t useful in development work when software gates within one app turns on reserved features depending on what device is connected... as well as screen objects. Development teams work better with one product with separate modules, and at a lower production cost.

I view the new app is a direction toward a new tool set, not a low end app. But it’s early, may need to develope... or maybe the Mini is the 1st of newer platforms supported by new app. Reflect back to the transition from Go3 to Go4.

I don't think we know what DJI intends. As some one who has marketing experience, I would never damage my high end expensive products with a cheaper one with the same functionality. It is shooting yourself in the foot. The sole reason that this makes sense is to deny a competitor market share, and I would do it directly at the competitor's strength, and away from my more expensive product's benefit. DJI is a very competitive company, and they will not loose a penny of revenue and profit if they don't have to.

I don't think we know what DJI intends. As some one who has marketing experience, I would never damage my high end expensive products with a cheaper one with the same functionality. It is shooting yourself in the foot. The sole reason that this makes sense is to deny a competitor market share, and I would do it directly at the competitor's strength, and away from my more expensive product's benefit. DJI is a very competitive company, and they will not loose a penny of revenue and profit if they don't have to.

Correct, as we both indicated... the intended direction is unknown. Product separation, useable on some product, not applicable in many other products, programming is an example. From another with marketing experience; One product can easily appear as multiple, especially in code. Manufacturing survives by high percentage of commonality in hardware & software, regardless of end point product.

Where’s low end defined... Spark Owners feel one way, Inspire 2 or Matrice 210 Owners may feel differently. A Matrice equipped above $35k may question why a Spark or Mavic uses the same tools or features they utilize... wouldn’t that be similar to avoiding low & high product on one app?

Instead of separate products, one product allowing devices attached determine the Ft end product displayed. One with development experience, wouldn’t waste budget on separate products of similar design, that utilize similar processing when no longer required in software. Waste of energy, added overhead to maintain. That faded in priority with low cost memory & fast processors years ago.

As acknowledged, we’re not sure what direction DJI is intending for the App or Mini, so I’m not sure why Mini is being referenced as ”low end”, especially when it‘s probably intended to be a nice revenue source. The ”App” and it’s API & SDK are an unknown currently.

Sharing product with competitors, more often not a negative... often that’s a benefit in aggregate gains. Sharing SDK with developers provides more product in software & hardware for core product, in turn generates more core sales, zero cost positive advertisement, and generates fresh ideas to develop and expand to core. Sharing doesn’t equate compromise, most operate under NDA‘s or limited licenses.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78