DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WiFi or cellular iPad? Also, is mini 4 still good?

Maineiac

Reactions
I’m curious if the extra cost of the cellular iPad is worth it? I’m not sure how often I’d need to use the gps or live maps from the iPad.

Also, is the mini 4 still good enough to run Go 4 smoothly? I only ever use my iPad to browse the internet or watch Netflix other than flying so I don’t need the best of the best...

You will lose some GPS related functions (set home point to RC location, GPS follow me) but other than that it should work OK. I use a cellular mini 3 (no sim installed) and it works just fine.

You will lose some GPS related functions (set home point to RC location, GPS follow me) but other than that it should work OK. I use a cellular mini 3 (no sim installed) and it works just fine.

Thanks! I never use follow me and I can’t think of when I might use the set Home go RC - maybe on a boat?

I use cellular mini ipad 4 - and the only thing is, you will need a bracket holder and a shade, sometimes I can barely see anything, my shades arrived now though. Other than that, its superb.

My WiFi only Mini 4 is the best. I have an antiglare screen protector, helps to see screen in bright sun. Also have a hood if I can't fine any shade tree to stand under. I would use my iPhone when doing Follow Me or as a Hot Spot if need too down load new area map etc.

My WiFi only Mini 4 is the best. I have an antiglare screen protector, helps to see screen in bright sun. Also have a hood if I can't fine any shade tree to stand under. I would use my iPhone when doing Follow Me or as a Hot Spot if need too down load new area map etc.

Thanks. I can get a WiFi mini 4 for $299 new so that seems like the best option now. The regular iPad 9.7 is close to the same price but it’s so big compared to the small Mavic controller. I think the mini would be the best from a size perspective.

Reactions: BMW Z4
I have several holders for joy Mini4. They work as advertised but one of them covers up the controller and the other one sits above the controller but is a bit flimsy. I've gone back to using the controllers own holder. I bought a slim cover for the mini 4 so it still fits in the holder.

I use an Ipad Mini 4 with a Mavmount. It's wifi only but I use my Iphone 7plus as a hotspot so I connect my Ipad mini to the internet via the personal hotspot while I fly. Gives me live maps and checks for updates as I enter the DJI Go 4 app. Best of both worlds.

I've been looking into this as well having just got my Mavic Pro ... personally, as a Newbie, I like the idea of the additional GPS functions such as Follow Me and being able to reset RTH ... I'm looking at getting the Mini 4 Cellular on that basis (I don't want to hotspot with my phone as it's a work one and I really don't want it on holiday with me!) but due to the extra cost of the Cellular model I'm thinking 2nd hand one off a well known auction site ! Mavmount looks fab !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+