DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will GPS Follow me work abroad?

Micah

Reactions
Hi,
I purchased the drone in the USA and use it with my iPhone based here in the US. I will be heading to NZ and Australia and want to use my drone out there as well.

Will the follow me GPS function still work, even though my phone won't be using a NZ sim or used as a phone? Roaming will be off I'm guessing

Yes... But, if it "bathtubs" just remember that it will go in the opposite direction. ;)

Hi,
I purchased the drone in the USA and use it with my iPhone based here in the US. I will be heading to NZ and Australia and want to use my drone out there as well.

Will the follow me GPS function still work, even though my phone won't be using a NZ sim or used as a phone? Roaming will be off I'm guessing
Yes it should work. I'm in New Zealand now from Washington and I can fly it just fine. I haven't tested the follow me but my phone will still get a GPS signal and I'm not using a local cell company. My phone is in airplane mode anyways so I don't receive calls from stateside.

cool thanks!! If you get a chance, would you let me know if it works in Follow Me? Sounds like it should just fine. Also would love to hear your experience droning out there!

Not sure what "bathtubs" means unfortunately

cool thanks!! If you get a chance, would you let me know if it works in Follow Me? Sounds like it should just fine. Also would love to hear your experience droning out there!

Not sure what "bathtubs" means unfortunately

So I have tried the follow me feature in 2 different locations and it does not seem to work. I seriously doubt it's because of the location. I have a feeling it's just my mavic. I am not using the latest go app because I do not like the Here maps. Maybe I'll install the latest Go 4 app just to test it out. I did happen to run into another person here in a small residential park who was also flying a mavic. What are the odds, especially since they are so hard to find.

So I have tried the follow me feature in 2 different locations and it does not seem to work. I seriously doubt it's because of the location. I have a feeling it's just my mavic. I am not using the latest go app because I do not like the Here maps. Maybe I'll install the latest Go 4 app just to test it out. I did happen to run into another person here in a small residential park who was also flying a mavic. What are the odds, especially since they are so hard to find.
Thanks for the update!! Strange it wouldn't work....hmmm. Keep me posted. Hopefully it was just the location or lack of GPS signal. Come across any odd restrictions or rules while droning out there?

It should work. I bought my Mavis from Los Angeles, California. Brought it to two smaller islands in the Philippines, Coron - Palawan and Boracay. Follow me worked fine. GPS picked up ok. My iPhone 6 was in airplane mode.

Thanks for the update!! Strange it wouldn't work....hmmm. Keep me posted. Hopefully it was just the location or lack of GPS signal. Come across any odd restrictions or rules while droning out there?
I talked to the local guy who had a mavic as well and he works at the airport. He was telling me all the regulations and they were the same as in the US. I did ask about flying the mavic down in Antarctica but my leadership shot that idea down real quick. The strange thing was his app on his iPhone did not have the red no fly zone around the airport. Not sure which version he was using. I always use the regular dji go app version 3. There is a website for the Christchurch area where it talks about getting permission from the city council to fly in all the parks. But the guy said it's only for drones that are > .55 kg.

So I've seen that the follow me mode (not active track) does not work for a lot of people. Has anyone been able to successfully use it? The Active Track works just fine.

Reactions: ROM1
OK so since I was forced to update the dji go 3.01 to go 4 the follow me feature now works in new zealand. The mavic is very shaky though when following. I'm assuming because it's constantly making minor adjustments?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheungy691