DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will heavy wind cause the drone to flip and crash?

Reactions
I know M2P is very good at flying under heavy gust. But let’s say you go through a sudden 50knot gust. Will it cause the drone to flip and crash? What will be the limit that the drone ‘dont’ flip and crash with caused by wind or sudden gust?

I know M2P is very good at flying under heavy gust. But let’s say you go through a sudden 50knot gust. Will it cause the drone to flip and crash? What will be the limit that the drone ‘dont’ flip and crash with caused by wind or sudden gust?
It won't flip and crash the drone.
But it will blow the drone away if the wind is faster than the drone can fly.

It won't flip and crash, it will drift away. If the wind speed is faster than the max forward speed of the drone the drone will be pushed away by the wind. If the wind is questionable, I will fly into the wind going out, so that if the wind becomes too strong it will blow the drone back to me.

Given enough altitude to recover, and unlike a gyrocopter that MUST NOT ever have it's rotor go into a negative angle of attack (causing a most often fatal "bunt over"), your drone can even get right side up by itself from completely inverted.

On a related subject, I have always wondered what the best strategy is when one encounters an unexpected high velocity wind that makes RTH impossible. Descend immediately and land somewhere you deem safe and try to recover the AC later? I am assuming a combination of downward and forward acceleration in sports mode can make it possible for the AC to land not far from where it is even in a head-wind situation.

And on a somewhat related topic: I was wondering if there is a compiled guide of emergency procedures and guidelines for handling emergencies and unexpected events for the Mavic line. Something like @msinger 's guide on how to prevent crashes and flyaways but directed at how to handle emergency scenarios listing best courses of action to take. If such a guide does not exist - may be we can/should compile one.

On a related subject, I have always wondered what the best strategy is when one encounters an unexpected high velocity wind that makes RTH impossible. Descend immediately and land somewhere you deem safe and try to recover the AC later? I am assuming a combination of downward and forward acceleration in sports mode can make it possible for the AC to land not far from where it is even in a head-wind situation.

And on a somewhat related topic: I was wondering if there is a compiled guide of emergency procedures and guidelines for handling emergencies and unexpected events for the Mavic line. Something like @msinger 's guide on how to prevent crashes and flyaways but directed at how to handle emergency scenarios listing best courses of action to take. If such a guide does not exist - may be we can/should compile one.

Opposite dimension but similar concept, in gliders when encountering sink, you want to push stick forward nose down to get more speed and minimize the time spent in the sink, opposite when in rising air (lift), you'll stick back to slow down to maximize time spent in lift. With the drone in high wind, there will most often be a wind gradient with slower wind speed down lower. So if altitude and obstructions permit, Sport mode, full stick for home, and max down throttle (within reason). Keep an eye on ground speed, if slow, increase or vary throttle to get max ground speed. The faster you descend, the quicker you'll get to lower wind speeds (assuming the wind gradient).

Thanks @bumper, very nice explanation. That also made me think of this hypothetical scenario. Let's say the AC was at 80m getting blown away and I come down to 20 m descending full forward and down in sports mode and then lose connection due to an obstruction in the line of sight. And the AC is configured to RTH on a height of 60m upon signal loss; and it starts climbing up, getting in to stronger winds as it does - I am back at square one, getting blown away again. Flying in high wind situations is asking for trouble, and if one has to fly at all in such situations, exercise extreme caution and be alert. Not flying might be the wiser choice though.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Given enough altitude to recover, and unlike a gyrocopter that MUST NOT ever have it's rotor go into a negative angle of attack (causing a most often fatal "bunt over"), your drone can even get right side up by itself from completely inverted.
Thanks for the accurate reply, I always had this concern about what if the drone just gets inverted and crashes, now my concern is gone!

I’m not 100% sure, but if you have if the RC signal is not lost when you RTH, switching to Sports Mode and manually coming back might help since it gives the rotor more power.

50kmh wind would slow it to around 20kmh in sports mode (can do 72kmh). An 80kmh wind would push it back about 8-10kmh. GIven IMO wind is rarely constant and always gusting up and down, the speed to which is slowed varies between gusts. Dont think it would ever flip it over though, unless you maybe threw it into a tornado ir something insane.

I own a M2P and also a Phantom 3. There is no problem with the M2P but winds will definately blow, flip and crash the Phantom. I know from experience.

I own a M2P and also a Phantom 3. There is no problem with the M2P but winds will definately blow, flip and crash the Phantom. I know from experience.
I'm not sure what happened to yours but a normal strong horizontal wind won't flip or crash a Phantom.
It will just blow it backwards, exactly the same as a Mavic 2.

I'm not sure what happened to yours but a normal strong horizontal wind won't flip or crash a Phantom.
It will just blow it backwards, exactly the same as a Mavic 2.
Yep I've never seen a DJI bird flip due to wind, its all computer controlled after all.

I think it might be possible to flip a M2 with the right amount of turbulence and wind shear event but it would also try to right itself if it has enough altitude.

OP, why the question?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54