DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will Mavic 3 Airsense ever be fixed?

You have turned into a total shill. It isn’t inappropriate to expect for a feature that’s advertised and paid for, that once worked- to work again.
It has no useful function in the first place! It's a marketing gimmick!

I'll probably regret contributing to the conversation, but I have used AirSense on my Air 2s for over a year and I find it a valuable part of my situational awareness. I refer to it periodically as part of my scan, like I would when flying an airplane.

Most of my flying is within our airport's Class B Mode C veil and all aircraft are required to have ADS-B out. With a quick scan, I can see if an aircraft (usually a helicopter) is at an altitude and heading that could be concerning to me / my flight and I can plan to be out of the way -- way before I could hear it.

Yes, I have flown aircraft and drones long before ADS-B existed and I'm quite capable of flying without that awareness. Since the M3 is advertised to have the feature, I'd like to work so that I can use it.

YMMV, of course.

More likely on the Mavic 4! 🤣
It's really not of much use, if you are truly flying VLOS!
it's just a marketing gimmick!
You will see and hear any threat long before it becomes a problem, and the real threats like other drones and kites and paramotors and most helicopters won't be broadcasting anything to pick up. It will also produce far more false alarms than useful warnings.
It gives newbies a false sense of confidence, just like OA!
Ahh, so the problem is me, for not always being LOS? That remains me of Steve Jobs "your not holding it right" for the iPhone 4's terrible antenna placement. I live just outside restricted airspace of an International Airport, so 90% of my flights experience some intersects with commercial aircraft. I DO hear the "threat" - but what I need is information on the intersect. So I can make smart, safe decisions. Further, I had a helicopter come within 100 feet of my Mavic 3, over buildings at the Southeastern Seminary (formerly Wake Forest University) I heard him, and within 10 seconds had a way too close for comfort intersect - all while LOS over a large building. The manned aircraft was flying easily under 300 feet AGL. An earlier alert would have prevented or greatly reduced the near miss. I packed up and went home - I was so rattled by the experience.

Airsense™ is not a marketing gimmick. Its not a gimmick of any sort. It's a potential life saving technology, the use of which can greatly increase safety. The odds of a midair collision with a commercial airliner are zero to nil in my flying scenarios. That does not mean there aren't situations exactly like I experienced. My blood still runs cold when I recall how close it was.

Airsense™ is not a marketing gimmick. Its not a gimmick of any sort. It's a potential life saving technology, the use of which can greatly increase safety. The odds of a midair collision with a commercial airliner are zero to nil in my flying scenarios. That does not mean there aren't situations exactly like I experienced. My blood still runs cold when I recall how close it was.
The trouble is it gives off a lot of false alarms, and like most false alarms, get enough of them and people start to ignore them.

The trouble is it gives off a lot of false alarms, and like most false alarms, get enough of them and people start to ignore them.
There's another issue .. that many small planes and helicopters (the kind of aircraft that are most likely to share airspace with a drone) don't have or use ADSB-out.
Airsense can't warn you of those aircraft.

Reactions: BlairAir
Absolutely! I agree 100%. Right about now a false alarm, an alarm of any sort would be just terrific 👍

Barring that, an indicator of huge commercial aircraft on the map would be stunning. Especially when my Mavic Air 2 shows everything within a fairly large area. My Mavic 3 maps haven't shown a single aircraft in months.
There's another issue .. that many small planes and helicopters (the kind of aircraft that are most likely to share airspace with a drone) don't have or use ADSB-out.
Airsense can't warn you of those aircraft.
This is true. I never considered it a replacement for vigilant flight safety. But as an enhancement, it has value to me. That is, when it does some type of enhancing.

Reactions: Suren

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22