DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will Mavic Air 2 outperform Mavic 2 zoom

1thor

Reactions
Hi,

was just in the market for Mavic 2 zoom.
My Phantom died as a hero few days ago and I was looking for a replacement accompanying my little Mavic Air.

Seeing the upcoming lunch of Mavic Air 2 I am on the edge selling my Mavic Air and get only a Mavic Air 2 as the specs look like they outperform the Mavic 2 series to use only one drone in the future.

What advantage would be left for the Mavic 2 zoom / Pro reading those phenomenal specs for the Mavic Air 2?

Mike

Hi,

My Phantom died as a hero few days ago and I was looking for a replacement accompanying my little Mavic Air.

Seeing the upcoming lunch of Mavic Air 2 I am on the edge selling my Mavic Air and get only a Mavic Air 2 as the specs look like they outperform the Mavic 2 series to use only one drone in the future.

What advantage would be left for the Mavic 2 zoom / Pro reading those phenomenal specs for the Mavic Air 2?

Mike

What specs do you think will outperform the M2 zoom? I’m buying a drone once my check gets here.

The Air 2 will have a better sensor than the M2Z, though not as good as the M2P. It won't have optical zoom, but that will be offset by the ability to use the 48 MP IMX586 in crop mode, which should give almost exactly equivalent results.

I wonder what they mean by 48 MP. The zoom can do that already so wonder if some kind of zoom to it too.

What is confusing about 48 MP? It's the Sony IMX586 sensor - 8000 x 6000 px.

What specs do you think will outperform the M2 zoom? I’m buying a drone once my check gets here.
The Zoom will blow away the Air 2 in many ways and the Air 2 will blow away the Zoom in a few ways.

Reactions: Gindra
I was going to wait for the Air 2 but after looking at many leaked photos I went with the Zoom. The Air remote doesn't impress me. I fly with an iPad and the Air remote just doesn't seem friendly to a tablet holder in the top of the holder. That's is why I bought the zoom

Reactions: bayou7
Let's see, what has the MA2 got on the M2Z? Better camera sensor and capabilities (4K at 60fps, 1080 at 240 fps, 8K timelapses, HDR video are confirmed features from what we know already), better flight time, improved active track and obstacle avoidance. The same OccuSync 2.0 so at least equal range. I am not seeing what the M2Z has going for it - may be marginally better wind resistance due to the larger size and the added advantage of the side and top obstacle detection cameras. So yeah, I think the answer probably is a yes; but we will soon find out.

EDIT: The M2P on the other hand is on a class of its own. The camera on the M2P (1" sensor and variable aperture) will most definetly outperform the one on the MA2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pharah and sar104
Hi,

Mike
I read the Mavic Air 2 specification, and concluded that there are no special specifications to switch from Mavic Zoom to the new Mavic Air 2. The first is no zoom, the second is that of the 34 minutes declared, it will be 28-29 minutes, which is not much more from Mavic Zoom. And I was very disappointed with the size of the control panel. Yes, the camera is a little better, but at the moment I don’t see the point of buying this drone just because of the camera. But everyone has to decide for himself. I hope that Mavic Air 2 will be no worse than other models. All clear skies and safe flights.

Reactions: Scooped
Given DJI's penchant for releasing drones well before they they are actually market ready, it will probably be 6 months before The new Air 2 gets all the firmware upgrades it will need. This is particularly appropriate given that the drone was built while China was in the deepest throws of the Covid pandemic and also that it will be utilizing a new controller design and the DJI Mini app. The Zoom has had numerous firmware adjustments and is now a mature drone. It also has 360 obstacle avoidance. I saw the specs for the new Mavic Air 2 and went for the Zoom during the Easter sale. Don't regret it at all; love the zoom capability. Of course, the decision was made very clear once I saw that I wouldn't be able to use my Crystal Sky monitor with the new controller. And as someone mentioned above, it doesn't even look like a tablet will fit into that controller. I also suspect that Dji will be reducing the price the of the 2 Zoom and the 2 Pro to those recent sale values.

Reactions: Scooped
I was going to wait for the Air 2 but after looking at many leaked photos I went with the Zoom. The Air remote doesn't impress me. I fly with an iPad and the Air remote just doesn't seem friendly to a tablet holder in the top of the holder. That's is why I bought the zoom
You won't regret the Zoom, it's a performer. I have the Zoom and the Zoom on it I had to use a few times because of scenario i was videoing. I dont use it much but when the time comes and I need it I am sure glad its there. Good luck with the M2Z..

Reactions: Greenflash
You won't regret the Zoom, it's a performer. I have the Zoom and the Zoom on it I had to use a few times because of scenario i was videoing. I dont use it much but when the time comes and I need it I am sure glad its there. Good luck with the M2Z..
Thanks. I have gone from Spark, Mavic air and now the zoom. Should be here today.

Last edited:
Given DJI's penchant for releasing drones well before they they are actually market ready, it will probably be 6 months before The new Air 2 gets all the firmware upgrades it will need. This is particularly appropriate given that the drone was built while China was in the deepest throws of the Covid pandemic and also that it will be utilizing a new controller design and the DJI Mini app. The Zoom has had numerous firmware adjustments and is now a mature drone. It also has 360 obstacle avoidance. I saw the specs for the new Mavic Air 2 and went for the Zoom during the Easter sale. Don't regret it at all; love the zoom capability. Of course, the decision was made very clear once I saw that I wouldn't be able to use my Crystal Sky monitor with the new controller. And as someone mentioned above, it doesn't even look like a tablet will fit into that controller. I also suspect that Dji will be reducing the price the of the 2 Zoom and the 2 Pro to those recent sale values.
We have no clue when this was developed!! I bet it’s been around since the Mp2 was released I really want this Aircraft I I live on 400 acres And just loved to fly this will do it well.

400 acres, wow.... back when I was 9 yo. My parents sent me to areal working farm in Pennsylvania and it was a total 100 acres. Small to most real farms but it was work from the time after breakfast to the time supper came. Each day after supper I walked the entire 100 acre perimeter and it was a good walk. 400 acres..wow

Yeah, 400 acres would be awesome. I have 5 and have been trying to build a small bike trail through the woods, the thought of another 395 and the kind of trails I could build on that would be amazing.

If you have the Zoom..no real reason to "upgrade" for an incremental improvement that might be seen more as a "side-grade" than actual upgrade. Just my opinion...you might have different reasons for yours.

If you don't already have a drone, and you want to save $550... The Air 2 might be very much worth considering over the Zoom.

I suspect some advanced software features will roll up to the Mavic 2 Series...just like some of the advanced software features on the AIR rolled up to the original Mavic.

I have mixed feelings about upgrading. I already own the Air, and I chose that over the Mavic 2 series due to size and weight. It serves its purposes for me... I bought it knowing it wasn't the "best" of the three. I'm not sure if I really want to spend $800 on yet another drone. Maybe I will just wait for the Mavic 3. :)

If you have the Zoom..no real reason to "upgrade" for an incremental improvement that might be seen more as a "side-grade" than actual upgrade. Just my opinion...you might have different reasons for yours.

If you don't already have a drone, and you want to save $550... The Air 2 might be very much worth considering over the Zoom.

I suspect some advanced software features will roll up to the Mavic 2 Series...just like some of the advanced software features on the AIR rolled up to the original Mavic.

I have mixed feelings about upgrading. I already own the Air, and I chose that over the Mavic 2 series due to size and weight. It serves its purposes for me... I bought it knowing it wasn't the "best" of the three. I'm not sure if I really want to spend $800 on yet another drone. Maybe I will just wait for the Mavic 3. :)

I sold my air this week. Main reason to upgrade for me is occusync 2.0. My air could never go past 600m urban.

Reactions: Mr Shamrok

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki