DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will my Batteries Be Damaged if i Leave Them For a Few Months?

Ang

Reactions
Will my Batteries Be Damaged if i Leave Them For a Few Months? i Believe i had them fully or mostly Fully Charged, but They auto Discharge to a Certain Percent, i dont think ive touched the drone since before December, and i dont really have plans to use it until its Warmer out, should i Charge and Drain the Battery Once a month or can i just leave them as they sit now.

Reactions: Rchawks and Capt KO
@LamoidZombieDog ,there are many threads on the forum about battery storage ,during prolonged none use ,click on the search icon which looks like a magnifying glass and then ask your question ,my advice would be check them monthly ,and fully charge them ,and then discharge them to 3.8 volts per cell at two month intervals ,keep them dry and away from very cold conditions in a safe place away from pets and children

@LamoidZombieDog ,there are many threads on the forum about battery storage ,during prolonged none use ,click on the search icon which looks like a magnifying glass and then ask your question ,my advice would be check them monthly ,and fully charge them ,and then discharge them to 3.8 volts per cell at two month intervals ,keep them dry and away from very cold conditions in a safe place away from pets and children
Discharge them By letting the Drone Kill them? or Let them Discharge On their Own?

Reactions: old man mavic
I just cycled mine after a full charge (mm and ma2) then discharged to 50 percent (about) using the charger for external devices such as my iphone, and ipad. This discharges at a reasonable rate. I found the drone will overheat sitting on the table trying to discharge, so I wouldn't use this method unless you're flying indoors. MHO

Reactions: journo and ehje
I'll second Rmcolon's Hanatora charger/discharger recommendation. Excellent unit and good customer service. I bought an earlier one and the power supply fan started making a bit of noise. Still worked. Contacted them and they said they were coming out with an improved version in a week or two. I told them I'd cheerfully wait, which I did, getting the new version free in a few weeks. BTW, the old one still works, never did fail, probably defective fan bearing.

Reactions: Rmcolon and Rchawks
I'll second Rmcolon's Hanatora charger/discharger recommendation. Excellent unit and good customer service. I bought an earlier one and the power supply fan started making a bit of noise. Still worked. Contacted them and they said they were coming out with an improved version in a week or two. I told them I'd cheerfully wait, which I did, getting the new version free in a few weeks. BTW, the old one still works, never did fail, probably defective fan bearing.
I'm happy with my Hanatora charger/dis-charger but I was unaware they have Customer Service. Ho9w can you contact them? Email address or phone number would be most helpful.

Discharge them By letting the Drone Kill them? or Let them Discharge On their Own?
As others have mentioned ,best not to use the drone unless you are able to actually fly it ,to discharge my batteries,i use a home made12v 55w fog light bulb mounted on a holder to discharge mine, i used the lead that came with the car charger in the flymore kit ,as i never used it the 55w load will not harm the battery and it does not take long to drop the battery down to a safe level,i find that 2 solid lights and third one flashing is about right ,after i have discharged ,i check the cell voltage by having the drone on and using the app i check the individual cell voltages ,it only takes a moment ,for each battery ,they should be around 3.7v 3.8v for safe storage

Reactions: shaneb50
I just cycled mine after a full charge (mm and ma2) then discharged to 50 percent (about) using the charger for external devices such as my iphone, and ipad. This discharges at a reasonable rate. I found the drone will overheat sitting on the table trying to discharge, so I wouldn't use this method unless you're flying indoors. MHO
i Dont Really Have any Devices i need to charge Since i keep things like my Phone Charged, But being its Winter outside and extremely cold, it Shouldnt be a problem letting it hover 6ft above the ground until its at 50%. i would prefer to let it run on the ground but then it uses less Power.

Reactions: StantonZ
Some chargers has the discharge mode for battery maintenance like the Hanatora hub for 4 batteries and the remote control (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y9V4GTR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Good price and very useful.
i DIdnt know they Made Discharging Docks now. Does this one Support the Charging of all 4 batteries at once? id assume so since it says Rapid Charging. ive been interested in a "rapid" charger for a while so i might have to get this one.

As others have mentioned ,best not to use the drone unless you are able to actually fly it ,to discharge my batteries,i use a home made12v 55w fog light bulb mounted on a holder to discharge mine, i used the lead that came with the car charger in the flymore kit ,as i never used it the 55w load will not harm the battery and it does not take long to drop the battery down to a safe level,i find that 2 solid lights and third one flashing is about right ,after i have discharged ,i check the cell voltage by having the drone on and using the app i check the individual cell voltages ,it only takes a moment ,for each battery ,they should be around 3.7v 3.8v for safe storage
For this Cycle i dont have a Discharger, so id probably have to just run the drone to 50%, but i think ill have to get that Discharger.

I have taken my Mavic Air up 0x times in the Year of COVID 2020. I have 5 batteries. All were fully charged in May of the Year of COVID 2020. All were placed in a metal ammo can with 1” of sand on the bottom and 6 holes drilled in the top. The batteries are stored in fire resistant sleeves. The ammo box is stored in my indoor gas fireplace to assure room temperature year round. We do NOT use the gas fireplace, but if we did I would remove the batteries first! <<< Hey, it’s a built in fire-resistant area with venting to outside. I used 3 batteries total in January of COVID Year 2021. All were still at 4 lights when checked 8 months later! None of the 3 proved any degradation of performance. Wish I could say the same for my flashlights. I really need to get out and fly, but NOT until it is a bit more on the safer side. I am getting used to staying in the house, double masking when I go out, which is no where near the frequency of the past.
Crying tears, tears, and more tears! I’ve become home bound!

Reactions: Uncle Pete

I was asking myself the same question. It makes a lot of noise when the fan turns on.

We should start a poll..... Haha.
What subject is posted about the most on this forum?

Reactions: MMPerrish
Welcome top the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
To get more input about Battery's please do a Query, using the search function using the Magnifying glass in the upper right hand corner. Should be endless amount of comments on this subject.

I was asking myself the same question. It makes a lot of noise when the fan turns on.
If the noise is "smooth and consistent" i.e. no intermittent noises such as marbles in a can, then that's normal fan noise and probably not indicative of a bad bearing.

Since you posted in a general forum, might help knowing what model you have.

Most of the Mavics have batteries that discharge to about 60% after 5 to 10 days. Most have LEDs that with a brief push of a button can tell you the charge state without having to check from the app or AC. Some will restart the days to discharge clock if you press the power button to check charge, the M2 does not.

Don't leave any fully charged for more than 10 days, but don't let them go below one LED for long either.

Since you posted in a general forum, might help knowing what model you have.

Most of the Mavics have batteries that discharge to about 60% after 5 to 10 days. Most have LEDs that with a brief push of a button can tell you the charge state without having to check from the app or AC. Some will restart the days to discharge clock if you press the power button to check charge, the M2 does not.

Don't leave any fully charged for more than 10 days, but don't let them go below one LED for long either.
The only sensible answer given to this question. If only people would read their manual.

Reactions: Uncle Pete
Send the poor batteries to me in southern Californnia and I will “exercise” them at regular intervals so they will stay in excellent shape. (Kidding of course)
What a novel concept. It's like battery daycare. I'm in Georgia. You and I should start a franchise.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian