DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will my Mavic Pro 2 accept a 256g card and any recommendations

hassanchop

Reactions
Hi,

I'm looking to get a card but want to make sure I get the one that works best for the Pro 2.

Any recommendations on a card and will it accept a 256g card.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm looking to get a card but want to make sure I get the one that works best for the Pro 2.

Thanks
I won't recommend a card as there are plenty of threads posted daily on which cards are which. I will say that IMHO and that of others more knowlegable than me that using cards that big are basically a don't do thing. The reason from what I gather from advance pilots and photogs (I.E. Inspire 2 pilots) is data loss. You just plain shouldn't be storing that much data on a aircraft that could be lost or corrupted at a moments notice.

I was taught years ago when I began this hobby that a 64 Gig card is max for these types of things (I film 1080 60fps, sometimes up to 4K). It was a safer bet to run a series of several small cards and when you change the battery on a flight, change the SDCard (Think roll of film).

A 256 Gig card is going to hold over a month of data, way to much to trust in these aircraft and not off load. I see way to often people losing a aircraft due to loss of control or splash down in a pond, so coupled with loss of aircraft loss of memories that cannot ever be recovered.

As mentioned what if your card is about full and then all of a sudden gets corrupted? you lost all those clips and shoots forever more than likely. There really is just no need to have that kind of memory on board, other than laziness (Nothing implied :) )

As for the actual card, get a U3 from a reputable seller and a reputable name, no need to cheap out on something such as the part that is critical on the whole point of flying in the first place. As always JMHO and YMMV ;)

See this post as a reference: 256gb SD card work ?

Attachments

• Supported.png
    Supported.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: old man mavic
Long story short, I ended up with a 64 Gig SD card because there is anecdotal evidence that some (older) hardware (like my UHD player) won't handle anything larger. I don't regret the decision (and I have yet to fill that card up).

i can concur with the above posts ,a 64g card is best and will mean that your images will be safe if you do have an issue .even a 32g is good if you only record in 10.80p 30fps

Agree also with 64GB card... I use that size and change every time I change batteries to minimize chances of lost imaging and avoid the use of battery power to dL the imaging to my controller.

Reactions: old man mavic
If you are worried about losing your data on a large card just have a back up made like all important data on a computer or other.

Being new to this I’m a bit confused. I thought it recorded to my sd card on my phone (I have an sd card on the drone as well). What sort of settings should I be using please. I’ve got a SanDisk Ultra 128gb microSDXC in my Samsung S8+ phone and the same in the drone, is this too much?

If you are worried about losing your data on a large card just have a back up made like all important data on a computer or other.
I have been using a Samsung 256 for months now in my M2Z No problems. Back up to a 1 TG thumb drive.

Being new to this I’m a bit confused. I thought it recorded to my sd card on my phone (I have an sd card on the drone as well). What sort of settings should I be using please. I’ve got a SanDisk Ultra 128gb microSDXC in my Samsung S8+ phone and the same in the drone, is this too much?
The only thing that goes to the phone are lo resolution versions of your footage, the high resolution footage is on the card in the drone. I concur with most of the guys on here that 64GB cards are the best/most useful. I've never come remotely close to filling that up as I download everything after I fly. I think it was @THE CYBORG that had a very good thread about which card and their ratings...I'll have to see if I can find it.

SD Card’s Explained​

I'm not sure of how to link it but if you search this title and his name, you'll find it.

Reactions: Nearlypastit
The specs may say up to 128GB, but that might have been the biggest card available at the time.

SanDisk Ultra would be too slow to use with 4k. Even if not recording 4k, app will warn that the card on the AC is too slow.

Reactions: Nearlypastit
The only thing that goes to the phone are lo resolution versions of your footage, the high resolution footage is on the card in the drone. I concur with most of the guys on here that 64GB cards are the best/most useful. I've never come remotely close to filling that up as I download everything after I fly. I think it was @THE CYBORG that had a very good thread about which card and their ratings...I'll have to see if I can find it.

SD Card’s Explained​

I'm not sure of how to link it but if you search this title and his name, you'll find it.
Thanks for that, what sd card would you recommend?

Hi,

Thanks
Short answer - Yes.

I have not had issues with these cards. They also work in the Smart Controllers with no ill effect observed.

However - not everyone's uses are the same. During the summer when I was flying 5 batteries a day (recharge 2) for 7 batteries total, I could fill the card in just a few days.

That's just me - I have every second of video from either drone, that has ever been shot (Stored On a NAS).
My drones record video continuously. Almost certainly you don't want to do this.

Everyone's uses are not the same. Chances are you do not need 256GB cards - but they are only ~40 bucks.

I use a 64 Gig card.. Since I transfer my photos and videos to my home computer after every flight, I rarely come close to filling the card. Once I have the videos on my computer, I delete everything on the card and it's fresh for the next flight.

The only time I can see needing a larger card is if I were to go on an extended vacation with no access to any computer.. But for that possibility I keep two spare 64 Gig cards in my kit.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB