DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will Remote ID really make all older drones inoperable?

ihavequestions

Reactions
That just seems crazy. Just wondering because I have some old drones that I never upgraded the firmware with. I thought not upgrading firmware helps with things like this.

That just seems crazy. Just wondering because I have some old drones that I never upgraded the firmware with. I thought not upgrading firmware helps with things like this.
It depends where you live. In the UK, if you fly a legacy drone in the Open category, you only need to use remote ID if it’s already fitted to the drone.

Reactions: Drone Views Media
It depends where you live. In the UK, if you fly a legacy drone in the Open category, you only need to use remote ID if it’s already fitted to the drone.
Same in EASA regulations, but I expect them to change. Drone delivery will be a big part of the future, and those of us in the hobby will get more and more restricted

I'm just wondering how it's going to be implemented. I think if you don't upgrade firmware, even no fly zones aren't imposed on your drone.

I'm just wondering how it's going to be implemented. I think if you don't upgrade firmware, even no fly zones aren't imposed on your drone.
I haven't a clue, but if you watch what's happening in the U.S, there will likely be enforcement. People blatantly breaking the regs on YouTube videos will be targeted

I haven't a clue, but if you watch what's happening in the U.S, there will likely be enforcement. People blatantly breaking the regs on YouTube videos will be targeted
I don't plan on breaking regs. I am just curious about the tech more than anything. Today, it's the same story with NFZ. If you don't upgrade the firmware, it doesn't ground your drone so I'm wondering how they'd do it with remote ID.

Reactions: Drone Views Media
I'm wondering how they'd do it with remote ID.
New regulations are not going to render your drone inoperable at all.
They will just give you new rules to comply with.
And since the proposed new rules aren't even developed, no-one knows what will be in them and if they would contain provisions for for the use of existing drones.

New regulations are not going to render your drone inoperable at all.
They will just give you new rules to comply with.
And since the proposed new rules aren't even developed, no-one knows what will be in them and if they would contain provisions for for the use of existing drones.
Yeah, seems like it.

I have an original Mavic Pro using firmware version 1.04.0000 and I have never received any NFZ warnings or geo-fence restrictions...

The new "rules" won't physically ground your drone (as far as we can tell) but they will GROUND your aircraft from a legal/ethical standpoint. Just like now... .if you're operating with older firmware or hacked firmware you don't "See" the restricted zones but they are still there. The difference being the new rules require some form of information to be broadcast and if you're caught flying a non-compliant aircraft the penalties could be harsh.

Reactions: Thomas B
We still have 30 months to figure that out but I doubt it.

I've always planned for the worst scenario and in most cases it turns out not to be so bad. I fly my registered MA2 in Texas with lots of unrestricted air space. Of course I'm just a hobbyist and these new regulations could put me in the back seat. I hope the regulations come in small/slow patches. I would not mind if there is a reasonable(small) fee or even if my air space shrinks at bit. If, however, I'm limited to specific days and times that I can fly, then ....... I did not plan for the worst case scenario.

Here again is a great reason to only use Litchi - never need to update which follows the rule. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
I have not updated my M2z sense I got it and ran my P4 for 3 years without a single update.[Admin Removed comment]

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Rick at Drone Valley and 51Drones mentioned something about a add-on device about the size of a strobe unit. Broadcast of drone ID and position isn't what bothers me, it's operator position. So we wait and see.

Every Karen that sees your drone is going to know where we are and that’s a problem for me. They show up where I’m flying and start a bunch of crap because we’re spying on them.. There’s going to be some issue!!?

Reactions: Peek Performance
Here again is a great reason to only use Litchi - never need to update which follows the rule. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
I have not updated my M2z sense I got it and ran my P4 for 3 years without a single update.[Admin Removed comment]

Using LITCHI (or any other flight control software) will have NO effect on the legality of your flight. 2023 rolls around and the implementation date passes you are either compliant or you're not regardless of your flight control software.

I think Rick at Drone Valley and 51Drones mentioned something about a add-on device about the size of a strobe unit. Broadcast of drone ID and position isn't what bothers me, it's operator position. So we wait and see.
An RID module (Add-On) is one of the options in the new rule.

It depends on which level of RID you are flying under whether the Ground Station's location is included in the scenario. It's not in all of them.

Reactions: gppms
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS