DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will the MM 1 ever get a digital zoom?

B4ron

Reactions
Hi, the Mini 2 has a digital zoom, and I assume (hopefully correcly) that the MM 1 would probably also support it.
I know that marketing exists, but I think the Mini 1 became obsolete just too fast. This simple feature would show the company has some respect for all who spent money on a product that aged so quickly in just 1 year.
Do you think such update can be expected or they would never do it?

Reactions: Mavic Mini
Hi, the Mini 2 has a digital zoom, and I assume (hopefully correcly) that the MM 1 would probably also support it.
I know that marketing exists, but I think the Mini 1 became obsolete just too fast. This simple feature would show the company has some respect for all who spent money on a product that aged so quickly in just 1 year.

You dont want the zoom , its not good quality its digital and very poor results in low light, but to answer to your Question No I do not think you will ever see it .

I think they had an overload of drones getting caught in the wind , they had no choice than to put the Mini to rest.
So this is why i do not think you will see the zoom on the Mini as it was a great idea but bad execution on the first mini out they take strides to make the Mini 2 more attractive and fade the mini out some.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic Mini in the Rain / Snow.

I doubt very much that they'd do this as I'm certain it would require a camera upgrade which incorporates zoom technology.

I doubt very much that they'd do this as I'm certain it would require a camera upgrade which incorporates zoom technology.
It has the tech in it's existing build..it is simply cropping at the sensor. But like said they marketed the Mini too soon, they corrected everything with the Mini 2. So You got what you paid for with the Mini and should just enjoy it for what it is capable of. :)

Digital zoom is easy to perform in post processing software. All that is happening is that you enlarge the image to get the frame you want. The results are usually unsatisfying, as detail is lost and grain more obvious.

This is also true for digital zoom in camera, and equally unsatisfying. You will almost never see digital zooms used in any professional productions for those reasons.

As stated, digital zoom is less than great - esp in low light. On the Air2, 2x in 1080p is not bad - but go 4x or 2x in 4k in lower light conditions and you will see a lot of grain. 4x even in decent light is like security cams from 2005 - you have a picture, but can't really make out details.

The Air2 is totally worth the upgrade. I have a Mini and it sits gathering dust, waiting for a trip or 2 outside the US for it to come to life again. If I could use the Air2 - the Mini would never see the light of day.

It;s a shame the Mini 1 has been out for just about a year and already DJI scraped the drone due to ongoing issues. Is there a discount for Mini 1 users to upgrade to the Mini 2, if not there should be a significant discount availible. I have a Mini 1 and the Air 2 and feel like I have been left out to dry with the Mini1.
I really don't understand why you can feel that way. When you bought the MM1 you knew what it was capable of...what isn't it doing now that it wasn't claimed to do? They made updates in the 15 months that it was out...many manufactures spit out a new model every year.

I mean I bought a 2 year old DJI product release (new) some months ago...I love my aircraft, I feel it out does anything they currently have for me and when the Mavic 3 comes out, I won't bat a eye at it for at least 2 years. I knew what I bought, it serves my purpose and will for years to come...I also have a Phantom 3 Pro that believe it or not is my go to, it flies perfects, films in 4K, has a great feature set (Has Litchi). IT's a beast in wind. I get to fly the Go 3 App and Go 4 App...I stayed away from the Fly App for many reasons.

You got a small travel/selfie drone and a more capable MA2...sounds like your hanger is well rounded too. Life is short...go fly what you got, the best tool is the one you have with you. You missed the opportunity to sell your mini, you should have bailed at the announcement of the Mini 2...plenty of people didn't get that word and would have paid a decent price then. Is what it is...more in life than to worry about than what it doesn't do...focus on what it does do IMHO.

Just last month I bought another mini 1 drone and had sold my old mini drone. This one still being new some what, I wanted to buy the mini 2 drone but wasn’t available to buy at the time from where I live. I too was wondering if I could had got a trade for the mini 2 drone. But probably not though.[emoji853]
How ever I have had a ton of great flights from my old mini drone and the newer one has only gotten some flights. I still think they are a great drone to have for some one starting to fly drones. Me I have been flying for almost a year now coming up and have enjoyed all the great times with it.[emoji106][emoji3]

I agree that you should enjoy the Mavic Mini if you have this instead of a Mini 2. I purchased a Mini 1 in April last year and in 6 months the Mini 2 came out, you cant help feeling a little aggrieved about this.
Basically DJI have turned their back on Mini 1 owners which I understand is a marketing reason but it doesn't feel like a great customer experience.
In all honesty after seeing some of the issues with the Mini 2 initially as well as the horrid gimbal flop in Sports mode I would have been a bit peeved, Who knows maybe I'll upgrade to the Mini 3 this November...

I bought my Mini in October, and have no desire to upgrade to a Mini 2. Yes, there are a few more features, but not enough to justify what it would cost me to do so.

As it stands, if someone were to want to buy a new drone, I'd recommend the Mini 2 over the Mavic Mini only because the price difference isn't that much at retail. If they're willing to buy used, though, I'd recommend the Mavic Mini. Pristine Fly More kits can be had for about half the price of the Mini 2 at retail.

For me - my next upgrade will likely be to an Autel EVO II Pro 6K. I'm tempted by the Mavic Air 2, but I think the EVO is a slightly better platform, and they seem to be much more open to working with the community instead of creating a closed ecosystem as DJI has done.

You dont want the zoom , its not good quality its digital and very poor results in low light, but to answer to your Question No I do not think you will ever see it .

I think they had an overload of drones getting caught in the wind , they had no choice than to put the Mini to rest.
So this is why i do not think you will see the zoom on the Mini as it was a great idea but bad execution on the first mini out they take strides to make the Mini 2 more attractive and fade the mini out some.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic Mini in the Rain / Snow.
Hey there. just looking around reading if it does some zoom. It will have bad quality in the zoom but if someone loses their dog or cat. it would still be helping to have some digital zoom to about 3x.

The mini 1 deserves it.

For me - my next upgrade will likely be to an Autel EVO II Pro 6K. I'm tempted by the Mavic Air 2, but I think the EVO is a slightly better platform, and they seem to be much more open to working with the community instead of creating a closed ecosystem as DJI has done.
I agree 100% I too will be switching to Autel for my next drone. I'm so sick of the terrible dji software. My phone that was on the compatibility list WASN'T compatible and after a month and a half I finally bought an older phone that wasn't on the list and it functions (as good as dji software can fcunction) for now. It amazes me how many people keep defending this action and that is the reason it continues.

You can get digital zoom capability in most non-linear editors easily. It will be of slightly higher quality than one created by a drone, but compared to any optical zoom awful image quality.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman