DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will they upgrade the FLIR in the future?

Termin8or

Reactions
I'm only hesitating because of the resolution of the lepton core. I don't wanna get stuck with this drone if they come out with a boson version soon. If the cameras are swappable that'd be ideal. I have had trijicon, pulsar and FLIR pts scopes and they are waaay clearer than this

I'm in the same boat. I want a Dual but also wonder if they will release improved FLIR this year.

Problem is the same as buying a computer. I know some people who are always waiting for the "improved" model ... and never buy. At some point you just gotta jump in the water and start swimming. Or you never get to the other side.

Last edited:
Almost certain they wouldn't be able to mount it on the same airframe given how the camera is already kinda too big and a Boson is a LOT larger than a Lepton.
And even if they did it would not be just swappable, would need a new aircraft version.

Almost certain they wouldn't be able to mount it on the same airframe given how the camera is already kinda too big and a Boson is a LOT larger than a Lepton.
And even if they did it would not be just swappable, would need a new aircraft version.

Which is precisely why I'm going to go ahead and get a Dual this year .... as soon as someone offers it bundled with a Smart Controller. I have no doubt that improved FLIR is coming; i.e., all technology inevitably improves. I just don't see it happening this year or maybe even the next.

Won't happen on the Mavic 2, in my opinion, for the following reasons:

1. Doesn't fit on the gimbal without significant redesign
2. (main one) would take 90% of sales away from M210/XT2 combos
3. DJI so far have not designed their own thermal camera, they have only modified FLIR OEM designs. Boson would need a ground-up solution
4. They couldn't use MSX enhancement with a Boson. MSX is a FLIR patented technology. They get around it on the Dual because the camera is a variant of the Flir One

It will happen eventually, around the same time that the M210 is due for replacement (probably in the next year or two). Smaller drones are the way forward, but given the massive price tag of the M210 DJI can't afford to lose sales of it to a Boson based Mavic.

It would also be more expensive, yes, since a low end Boson is around $1300 vs $300 for a Lepton.

Reactions: Kilrah and RCdancer
Very good point on the competition with the xt2. For the time being tho I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy the m2e and return my m2z or buy one of those rigs for a boson on the mavic 2 zoom.