DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will you buy a Mini? What will you use it for?

I'll get one. Maybe not at launch but within a few months. I do a lot of flying inside abandoned buildings and factories (with the owners permission or course) and with prop guards this is a no brainier. I can already see this being much easier getting down hallways, though doors and up and down stairwells.

The sub 250gr weigh and size would make this the perfect travel drone for when I'm traveling and only take a carry on.
I noticed you said fly inside factories and abandoned buildings, how is this possible with a poor GPS signal?

I live in a part of the world that doesn't have the 250g limit - yet anyway........but it will come. That said, what happens, if, or should I say when, the regulatory authorities change the definition of 'drone' to be something other than <250g, What you have at that point is a small drone that doesn't have a lot of features. I can't help but see the irony in the governing bodies around the world wanting to regulate us into submission but now, based on their own definition, there are going to be more of these things buzzing around then ever before - free of registration. I'm talking about that niche of the market who couldn't justify $1500 on something that's an occasional toy but at $500 there in. As Billy Kyle points out in his review of the Mini, a lot of the market for this will be newbies who now (as a bi product of our regulators definition) wont have collision avoidance to bail them out so you can expect to see more than your average range of 'issues'. I don't think that is going to sit well with the authorities ! Turning away from newbies for a moment, why would you buy this if you already have a Mavic 1 or 2 for instance? Well, its cheap enough in comparison, you might be just curious, portability - pretty marginal as a Mavic is pretty portable anyway but other than that feature wise it's a big step backward (which is entirely understandable). I will be saving my hard-earned for something called a Mavic 3. Reason being is Skydio 2 is cleaning-up and I can't imagine that DJI (a company with a $2B turnover) is just going to let that happen. The Mavic 3 will not be under 250g but it will be feature rich!

Reactions: Mavic 57
I pre-ordered. Went back in forth like many. I have a trip planned to Panama during Thanksgiving, and was not planning on taking my M2Z because of the risk and weight. I figure I shouldn't have any issues, but if I do, I'd rather lose $400 than $1000. The only reason I'd cancel is if it can't be delivered before I leave on the 22nd. I'm looking forward to the time off in Panama (and Mexico City) to learn the mini, see what it can do, and get some good footage.

ordered from dji site yesterday, to be honest - only for collection, plus, i have some hopes to take it to europe and other extended travel where even mavic 2 adds up too much to the luggage. still, it is not clear how useful it will be.

I will be buying one.
Sea Kayaking/Hiking, flying indoors during winter months.
Size is perfect.
Flight time looks great.
I'm not a pro/commercial video shooter, shoot just for FB, instagram, family and friends.
Pairing with a power station and solar for long kayak trips.
Will be my first drone.

Hmmm, for use with SAR...Will a mini work well in enclosed spaces without GPS? Also, will it navigate well doing a RTH by itself if signal is lost in an enclosed space? With prop guards and lighting, no doubt.

For SAR?.... with only WiFi it will be interesting to see what it does in the real world distance/canopy foliage wise. I.... WAS interested in the Mini, until I saw it was WiFi and not Occusync , might have been unrealistic wish, but I was hoping...

I will be buying one.
Sea Kayaking/Hiking, flying indoors during winter months.
Size is perfect.
Flight time looks great.
I'm not a pro/commercial video shooter, shoot just for FB, instagram, family and friends.
Pairing with a power station and solar for long kayak trips.
Will be my first drone.
for flying indoors the best toy is this:

it uses same betaflight that all racer drones use, and it is a blast indoors.

for flying indoors the best toy is this:

it uses same betaflight that all racer drones use, and it is a blast indoors.
agreed but I'm not really interested in owning too many drones, the indoor flying is more just to keep me using it through the winter.

I think this would be a great first quad. I can't see adding this to my fleet. If I was starting out, this would be what I'd get.

Also, I think it would be a great reconnaissance quad for Search and Rescue. Send the Mavic Mini up first to scout out the area before you send the big boys up.

It would make a good hiking or backpacking quad. Lightweight, longer flight times than Spark, Air, Pro (maybe even Mavic 2).

For SAR?.... with only WiFi it will be interesting to see what it does in the real world distance/canopy foliage wise. I.... WAS interested in the Mini, until I saw it was WiFi and not Occusync , might have been unrealistic wish, but I was hoping...

I was thinking for enclosed spaces like collapsed buildings. I know wifi is limited, so it would probably be a no go anyways. Robot crawlers have issues with too much debris.

When I purchase a drone, as it stands right now it likely will be the Mavic Mini (fly more combo) for the following reasons;
1. It will be my first outdoor drone and reviews indicate it is perfect for first time pilots
2. it is sub 250g which means I do not need to register it nor do I need to write any ridiculous exams to fly it.
3. It travels well when I want to go somewhere and take it with me
4. it fits my price range and has passed the approval stage of my accountant (wife).
to me, these are reasons enough to commit my hard-earned dollars to and I will be making my purchase very early in the New Year.

The price is even better than the Spark for an entry drone.

Not gonna buy one, allready have a
Spark,
Mavic Pro Platinum,
Sky-Hero Little six,
Yuneec Typhoon H,
Yuneec Mantis q.

the hangar is full and today my new goggles RE did arrive.
Same here, I found the mini pointless and not worthy. I already have a spark, Mavic platinum, an Evo and a racing walkera quad. I have enough for my entertaining.

Same here, I found the mini pointless and not worthy. I already have a spark, Mavic platinum, an Evo and a racing walkera quad. I have enough for my entertaining.
no, it is worthy as you can take it to most countries with you with no need to pre-register and deal with paperwork. at least, until most countries still have 500g and 250g limits for registration laws.

Reactions: Greg6032
no, it is worthy as you can take it to most countries with you with no need to pre-register and deal with paperwork. at least, until most countries still have 500g and 250g limits for registration laws.
Well, I guess that the only reason to buy one is that easy to transport and travel to other countries without issue.

Hmmm, for use with SAR...Will a mini work well in enclosed spaces without GPS? Also, will it navigate well doing a RTH by itself if signal is lost in an enclosed space? With prop guards and lighting, no doubt.
Hmm... I just don't see it working well for SAR, personally. But it depends on the scenario. DSAR to be really effective requires some elements that I think this mini doesn't have.
GPS coordinates displayed in realtime (yes this is software related)
Good lighting
Weather proof
Night vision or FLIR
Good camera that works well in various lighting

I've seen some drones with a ball type of guard that would do well in tight spaces though.

Reactions: AMann
I plan on picking one up on the 11th from Best Buy. This will be a great addition to my fleet and will use it when I travel outside the states. Plan on taking it to the Caribbean this winter. I've been a bit nervous taking my Mavic 2 pro into other countries or some reason.

I plan on picking one up on the 11th from Best Buy. This will be a great addition to my fleet and will use it when I travel outside the states. Plan on taking it to the Caribbean this winter. I've been a bit nervous taking my Mavic 2 pro into other countries or some reason.
Unless you already ordered it from Best Buy, it is probably sold out. Many of the stores near me have have it listed as "Only available for shipping" for the 14th.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13