DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Win some, lose some. No D-Log or HLG coming for telephoto

christangey

Reactions
Site
www.alicespringsfilmtv.com.au
Probably the only thing I would now want on the M3 is D-log or HLG on the 7 X telephoto to match other footage. Unfortunately it is not possible. Latest from DJI: "In regard to your suggestion about 7 X Zoom in 10-bit D-Log and HLG we are sorry for disappointing you but we have got confirmation from our senior engineer, currently due to hardware limitations. But rest assured that we will continuously optimize the quality on zoom mode." I tried, but looks like 10-bit telephoto will be a Mavic 4 feature, however they end up configuring that one!

Don't trust DJI support, they have no idea what will come to mavic 3 next, on this forum there is so many informations from users like you that shared information from DJI support and many of them is not true, right after these informations have been published by these users, DJI released an firmware that add features which are not to be released anyways, based on answers from DJI support.

Don't trust DJI support, they have no idea what will come to mavic 3 next, on this forum there is so many informations from users like you that shared information from DJI support and many of them is not true, right after these informations have been published by these users, DJI released an firmware that add features which are not to be released anyways, based on answers from DJI support.
That’s a generalization that’s not true. I have a specific contact in support who talks directly with the senior engineers. If they come back with no in writing that’s exactly what it means.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
"informations from users like you" By the way, please go ahead and share one of these examples of me sharing incorrect information....we'll wait here.

Reactions: sbunting
"informations from users like you" By the way, please go ahead and share one of these examples of me sharing incorrect information....we'll wait here.
I suspect the person you are responding to is only questioning DJI's following through on promises made, and not that you are deliberately sharing what may turn out to be incorrect information. Your integrity is beyond reproach. However, DJI support often cannot be trusted, and trusted sources ("I have a specific contact in support who talks directly with the senior engineers. If they come back with no in writing that’s exactly what it means.") can only tell you what they have been told, which can also change. Everything evolves and changes over time. A no today could be a yes tomorrow. Intent and action are two different things. I may intend to fly today, but things may come up that prevent me from doing so. I may not intend to fly today, but if an opportunity presents itself, I may fly anyway.

Reactions: christangey
I suspect the person you are responding to is only questioning DJI's following through on promises made, and not that you are deliberately sharing what may turn out to be incorrect information. Your integrity is beyond reproach. However, DJI support often cannot be trusted, and trusted sources ("I have a specific contact in support who talks directly with the senior engineers. If they come back with no in writing that’s exactly what it means.") can only tell you what they have been told, which can also change. Everything evolves and changes over time. A no today could be a yes tomorrow. Intent and action are two different things. I may intend to fly today, but things may come up that prevent me from doing so. I may not intend to fly today, but if an opportunity presents itself, I may fly anyway.
Would normally agree to an extent Gadget, but in this case I can only go on my specific experience with a specific person in Support who has always been correct, every time.

Would normally agree to an extent Gadget, but in this case I can only go on my specific experience with a specific person in Support who has always been correct, every time.
Since we are talking about what they cannot do due to hardware limitations, rather than what they intend to do, but don't have time for yet, with all the other things they are currently doing, the confidence factor increases exponentially! We appreciate your having a man on the inside! It's like a trusted leaker, which is often an oxymoron! When you have one who has never led you astray, the reliability of their "leaks" increases!

Well, DJI's argumentation sounds a bit strange to me because as far as I remember the tele lens has the same chip size as the M2Z has and the M2Z can do DLOG. So the much newer hardware of the M3 is more limited than the old one in the M2Z? :oops: Just my two cents...

Well, DJI's argumentation sounds a bit strange to me because as far as I remember the tele lens has the same chip size as the M2Z has and the M2Z can do DLOG. So the much newer hardware of the M3 is more limited than the old one in the M2Z? :oops: Just my two cents...
Actually, it isn't the same size.
The M2Z is a 1/ 2.3 and the 7x telephoto is a slightly larger 1/2” sensor.

Reactions: JooB and Suren
Actually, it isn't the same size.
The M2Z is a 1/ 2.3 and the 7x telephoto is a slightly larger 1/2” sensor.

Regardless of the size of the sensor this is a software and processing issue. It doesn't make any sense that they can produce raw files for stills but HAVE to process the video files. It is far easier to save the unprocessed full dynamic range file. It makes more sense that they don't want to or are putting that effort into the next generation.

Regardless of the size of the sensor this is a software and processing issue. It doesn't make any sense that they can produce raw files for stills but HAVE to process the video files. It is far easier to save the unprocessed full dynamic range file. It makes more sense that they don't want to or are putting that effort into the next generation.
No argument there. Raw stills are much smaller files and are momentary recordings, as opposed to much larger D-LOG or HLG video files that would require vastly more data to be continuously recorded to the microSD card.

No argument there. Raw stills are much smaller files and are momentary recordings, as opposed to much larger D-LOG or HLG video files that would require vastly more data to be continuously recorded to the microSD card.
If it makes you feel better guys I'm about to start shooting a 12K project for an art gallery in Braw next weekend, it uses 40gb per minute

If it makes you feel better guys I'm about to start shooting a 12K project for an art gallery in Braw next weekend, it uses 40gb per minute
I’m assuming that‘s being recorded to a very large SSD, on the ground, where weight isn‘t a significant issue?

My point wasn't comparing raw file size to video. The point is that jpg is much smaller than raw but they use the power to process that. The difference between processed and non processed video is negligible and it is much faster to NOT process it yet they insist on it even though some of us would prefer them not to.

My point wasn't comparing raw file size to video. The point is that jpg is much smaller than raw but they use the power to process that. The difference between processed and non processed video is negligible and it is much faster to NOT process it yet they insist on it even though some of us would prefer them not to.
My point is that the processor or some other hardware limitation can't handle the continuous writing of the significantly larger file size of non processed D-LOG or HLG video files to the card.

I’m assuming that‘s being recorded to a very large SSD, on the ground, where weight isn‘t a significant issue?
Yes of course, possibly SSDs but maybe dual C-FAST cards, we are looking at options

Reactions: GadgetGuy
My point is that the processor or some other hardware limitation can't handle the continuous writing of the significantly larger file size of non processed D-LOG or HLG video files to the card.
They do it on the larger mp main camera in 5.1 dlog so I'm not buying that as a reason.

They do it on the larger mp main camera in 5.1 dlog so I'm not buying that as a reason.
DJI has already stated through a reliable source that it is a hardware limitation. What other reason could it be? There is only so much that a dual camera system can handle. The 7x telephoto camera isn't the main camera. It wasn't designed to handle continuously writing larger D-LOG or HLG video files directly to the microSD card. There is likely some 7x telephoto camera buffer used for DNG stills and normal video that is too small for continuous D-LOG or HLG. In any event, it's apparently not possible, and therefore cannot be added through a FW update, unless you have reason to think they are just lazy and lying about it!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myofb89