DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Winter Wonderland" Photo Contest; need some suggestions.

Former Member

Reactions
We've gotten approval to start a new photo contest, the "Winter Wonderland Photo Contest." After some stunning entries in our Fall Foliage Photo Contest, I thought we would do a winter/holidays based theme to bring in the season.

Before it even begins, Im open to suggestions as to:
  1. how to improve the contest
  2. how to make it more fair
  3. how to get members focused on the theme.
We received alot of help from members and staff on contest parameters for the last contest, so any input on this contest would be appreciated.

Prizes so far are a Tello for 1st place from Thunderdrones, 2nd place is a $40 gift certificate from @Aerial-Pixel, 3rd place is a handy Third Hand Soldering Tool PCB Holder courtesy of @fstop.labs.

I was thinking of starting the contest on Tuesday November 20, 2018 and letting it run until Saturday December 15.

Thats it so far. Feel free to post your thoughts to this thread.

Best regards and happy holidays.

Rob

The only "unfair" thing from the last competition was that the timeframe didn't allow people much south of CT to participate, since the turn came about 1/2 a week after the end of the contest. I don't THINK I'll have the same issue for Winter Wonderland, as it has snowed already for me and will likely snow again before the middle of December...but I do feel sorry for folks from NC and south and, of course, California, Arizona, etc...

Maybe hold a contest, the theme of which has nothing to do with the seasons? Like, "New Perspectives on Traditional Objects" or "Birds-Eye View". Things everyone can participate in, without having to rely on nature.

- Gary

Reactions: Kilrah
This won't be the last photo contest so you shouldnt feel too badly for anyone. Everyone will have a chance to participate in a future contest.
What do you think about letting it run to 1/1/19? I am in the Pacific NW and we are still in Autumn weather. Virtually no rain for 3 weeks and still a lot of leaves on the trees. We are going to Bend for the Thanksgiving week and there isn't even snow at Bachelor Live Cams Regardless of what you decide thanks a lot for doing it!

Reactions: Slim.slamma
Only thing that I could suggest is to set parameters or guidelines. Such as:

-Do the photos sumitted have to be from 2018 or can one use a winter photo from last year
-Does it have to have snow or can it just be from a area without no snow but "winter time"
-Is it a photo or can it be a capture from video

Or you can chuck rules and go with it like last time. That worked.

Would be great to run the comp over Christmas maybe until the beginning of Jan. I would love to participate but don't get any time off until the Christmas holiday! Also is it US only or worldwide?

Im thinking about having 3 categories with 1st, 2nd and 3rd place each. I can try to find some more sponsors for gifts, or I can donate some more:
  1. Best winter snowscape
  2. Best holiday decorations (day)
  3. Best holiday lights (night)

Would be great to run the comp over Christmas maybe until the beginning of Jan. I would love to participate but don't get any time off until the Christmas holiday! Also is it US only or worldwide?

What do you think about letting it run to 1/1/19? I am in the Pacific NW and we are still in Autumn weather. Virtually no rain for 3 weeks and still a lot of leaves on the trees. We are going to Bend for the Thanksgiving week and there isn't even snow at Bachelor Live Cams Regardless of what you decide thanks a lot for doing it!

Let's say the contest could begin Tuesday November 20 and contest photos should be submitted until January 4, 2019. Im thinking that might be too long a window, so maybe the contest should start later, maybe December 4? Ideas?

Do the photos sumitted have to be from 2018 or can one use a winter photo from last year

Im open to suggestions on this one. My first thought was to allow any photo taken by a Mavic despite year.

Does it have to have snow or can it just be from a area without no snow but "winter time"

See post #11 for the update.

Is it a photo or can it be a capture from video

Either one. If a person can get a good qualifying photo from a video, have at it.

100 Bucks to enter would be sweet

NYS winner takes all
I can see it now

How about including the the DJI X4s camera the specs are pretty similar to the MP2

100 Bucks to enter would be sweet

NYS winner takes all
I can see it now

I dont think you can mount an X4S on a Mavic, just an Inspire. Good idea to maybe offer some more expensive prizes but this is mostly for fun.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78