DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wired posted a retraction

Still one of the more positive karma reviews I've seen. Most are trashing it pretty hard.

Funny how he stil glossed over obstacle avoidance, indoor flight, vision positioning, flight modes, range, etc.

Reactions: Mavic_Man504
an honest mistake and he wasnt the first to make it.. :)

i also dont think its shallow DOF the mavic suffers from.. i think its just relatively soft and fuzzy when you move away from the center of the image.. pretty good for the small camera/gimbal size but in truth its a tad lacking.. we cant have it all ways however much we would like to.. he he

trog

I guess it's good he posted the retraction but still - what was with not explaining the gimbal calibration that's so easy on the Mavic? I think he still comes off as a noob. There are far more informative reviews available.

Reactions: Exception
I guess it's good he posted the retraction but still - what was with not explaining the gimbal calibration that's so easy on the Mavic? I think he still comes off as a noob. There are far more informative reviews available.
The Karma seems to have horizon issues too, but there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust it other than reboot presumably.
Everyone here knew about need to focus about a month ago.

Reactions: Mavic_Man504
Hard to believe that he didn't know about the tap-to-focus feature. My guess is that DJI will introduce autofocus in a software update at some point. As a photographer, I see advantages in tap-to-focus leaving some ares somewhat soft. Kind of a depth of field control. As far as dynamic range and such, don't we all use post processing? We'll see if I ever get my MP

Must say as a Hero4 owner the GoPro video is undeniably better in all ways except fish eye effect can be intrusive.
In simple technical comparison of the file resolution there's no contest, however the gopro is intended primarily as an action camera - for recording action at close range.
It's not particularly good at expansive landscapes such as you mainly do from the air.

I hope that GoPro is very successful as we need 3 or 4 contenders in this space.

Must say as a Hero4 owner the GoPro video is undeniably better in all ways except fish eye effect can be intrusive.
In simple technical comparison of the file resolution there's no contest, however the gopro is intended primarily as an action camera - for recording action at close range.
It's not particularly good at expansive landscapes such as you mainly do from the air.

This is so true. For action footage such as the MTB rider's POV, the GoPro cameras are fine. Expensive compared to the competition and somewhat buggy and not all that great to use but they take decent footage. Water-proof too and with audio - great. But in a drone, I'm sorry but I HATE the look. I don't care if it's 200mbps I just can't get past the distortion. And if I ever see one shot in wide with that hideously curved horizon, I immediately click thumbs down and move on. Since the P3P, I've preferred the DJI look by a substantial margin. Sure I wish for a higher bit rate, increased dynamic range etc. But not an expensive GoPro action cam that's for sure. (I had a Hero 4 Silver back in the P2 days, before DJI had a decent camera).

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada