DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

With revised drone laws coming into force 1st Jan 2023 is it worth buying a drone over 250g now?

RotatingBirds

Reactions
I was pondering buying a DJI Air 2S (weighs 595g) but with the forthcoming new laws and certifications would it be best for me to get a <250g drone for now, then see how things pan out as of 1st Jan 2023? Also wait and see what certified drones are released this year pending the new rules?

If my research is correct (the rules aren't THAT clear to me .....) and If I did go for the Air 2S I'd need to take the £150 online test to obtain an A2 CofC Drone Licence. However, I may need a different licence if I wanted to continue to fly the Air 2S next year? Or it would be that as the drone will likely be unclassified in 2023 I would need an A3 licence?

I'm new to drones, hence the confusion. I've done a lot of reading but all that's done is confused me even more.

Reactions: Lastrexking
As you're from the UK I don't have any answers for you. However, I would love it if knowledgeable folk from over there would kindly elaborate how your rules, present and upcoming differ from the US rules. Also, how do UK rules differ from general EU rules. Can we get a Canadian or two in on this info? I'm really curious, but at this time I have no detail on any of your general rules. All I know is that Canadians have to jump through many more hoops that those here in the US.

There are folks far far more qualified than me in the U.K. who will be able to answer this excellent question more effectively and accurately than me….but if I were you I would go for it-getting a drone I mean. Come the end of this year you will not be as free to fly as you would be today but you will still be able to enjoy your kit (whatever you acquire) out and about in open country. Of course the cost involved in investing in a drone is a major consideration as is the safety of people around you if you get one and fly it but so long as you acquaint yourself fully with the Laws/requirements that exist already (and will be tightened at the end of the year), I’d go for it. Good luck with your decision.

From what I can gather the 250g rule is so you can fly anywhere without a C of C certifcate.
Anything over 250g and you need to be certified.

Alterntively, provided you stay away from crowds and buildings, you don't need to be certified, and can fly over 250g

Regarding crowds, i've been struggling to determine what classes as a crowd, but keep coming up with 1000 people. Basically, you can fly near 999 people but not 1000.

• A3 - Flying Far away from People
In all open categories you are not allowed to fly over assemblies of people (in the UK this is usually taken as 1000 people or more).

fingers crossed everyone ticked yes and greater than 24-month extension

we will find out in next month

Also, how do UK rules differ from general EU rules. Can we get a Canadian or two in on this info?
They don't - the UK kept the full EASA rules for drones.

The only slight difference is the extension of the legacy drone period but i suspect they'll agree on that too.
Realistically it aint happening the end of this year - there's still no such thing as category certification on drones even if someone wanted to buy one.

How can the faa actually enforce these laws if you're using older software?
The FAA don't enforce any laws outside of the US. This thread is about UK laws. Also, the software isn't relevant - it relates to the weight of the equipment and where/how/when you can fly it in relation to people and buildings.

Reactions: Cymru
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent