DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying near school sub with 250g drone

dilby

Reactions
Hi all - Previously qualified drone pilot here (A2 CofC / GVC) and seldom do drone work these days. However I have purchased a DJI Mini 3 pro to take advantage of the sub 250g laws. I have an old client who wants me to come do some filming on a construction site, but the construction site is next to a primary school. I've done a quick visit and it doesn't look like you'd be able to see into the school grounsd as the shots I'd be getting would be reasonably low and facing the other way, and the school is up on a bank and protected by taller buildings and trees. But I'm really not sure what the rules are regarding schools; resources online are sketchy when it comes to sub 250g but from what I can tell it's legal but just advisable to be sensible (I would never be flying over the school and would be well over 50m away at all time.

*Edited to show correct drone model*

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: James in the Desert
You specify that you purchased a Mavic 2 pro. That aircraft weighs 907 Grams, not less than 250 grams.

My advice, Do not take off during shcool hours even if it was a legal flight.
Just wait if possible for the school to be fully closed or you might end up on the 6 oclock news. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

When are the school holidays and does the school do anything during those holidays?

@dilby as others have said ,either do your flight when the school is closed
or if it must be during a school day, go to see the head teacher and inform them of your intentions to fly near to them, and see what sort of reaction you get to your request
personally i would not fly there during school opening hours ,simply because of the age of the children ,and the anger it might cause in the local community,
although the Mini 3 pro is able to fly close to structures and people ,just because you can,could open a can of worms ,for your client ,just arrange it for a none school day ,and you will be fine

do your flight when the school is closed
or if it must be during a school day, go to see the head teacher and inform them of your intentions to fly near to them, and see what sort of reaction you get to your request

Agree, it would be good to do this outside normal hours, perhaps while still being able to catch site in work mode.

But if the OP has to do a job, can fly only over the construction site next door, or around other sides away from the school grounds, and never over the school during school / weekend sport attendance etc, they SHOULD be able to do this after informing the school of the flight intentions.
I would do this in writing (dropped in to reception preferably, or post it) with all contact info, and at least a few days prior so they can inform staff at the school.

The other possible factor, the OP said previously licensed pilot there . . . is the commercial pilot status required to do a commercial job, even if not paid ?
If informing the school of this flight, it would be prudent to make sue it is 100% legal.

Reactions: old man mavic
Hi all - Previously qualified drone pilot here (A2 CofC / GVC) and seldom do drone work these days. However I have purchased a DJI Mini 3 pro to take advantage of the sub 250g laws. I have an old client who wants me to come do some filming on a construction site, but the construction site is next to a primary school. I've done a quick visit and it doesn't look like you'd be able to see into the school grounsd as the shots I'd be getting would be reasonably low and facing the other way, and the school is up on a bank and protected by taller buildings and trees. But I'm really not sure what the rules are regarding schools; resources online are sketchy when it comes to sub 250g but from what I can tell it's legal but just advisable to be sensible (I would never be flying over the school and would be well over 50m away at all time.

*Edited to show correct drone model*

Thanks!
I'm UK too, have also been in this situation before when shooting 18th century graffiti carved into the roof lead of a parish church right next to a junior school. First off, take a look on the DJI FLY SAFE map to check if the school is registered and if so: what kind of advisory/restriction it's covered by. Second, it is a good idea to NOTIFY the head teacher regarding date and time of flight if you can't arrange it during school holidays (which is by far the best option). What you're doing is perfectly legal, so "asking for permission" or even seeming as though you are will open a whole can of worms by handing over control of the situation to a third party, again: I speak from experience. But in this instance, I would definitely advise that you get your shots before 8am or after 3pm in order to circumvent any shrieking hysteric getting the wrong idea.

Thanks for all the useful comments everyone. Based on these I'm going to make sure I fly well after school closing time in the afternoon; I had tried to avoid this as this isn't when the sun is hitting the best sides, but I can't afford to wait till the holidays. I also considered contacting the school but my concern is that you're letting the school now, but there will be parents who still don't. I've had a situation before where a parent came at me because they thought i was spying on their kids (his argument made no sense) and it wasn't nice, so this means there's no parents or kids around and the client can deal with the worse images. It's never easy is it?!

Thanks for all the useful comments everyone. Based on these I'm going to make sure I fly well after school closing time in the afternoon; I had tried to avoid this as this isn't when the sun is hitting the best sides, but I can't afford to wait till the holidays. I also considered contacting the school but my concern is that you're letting the school now, but there will be parents who still don't. I've had a situation before where a parent came at me because they thought i was spying on their kids (his argument made no sense) and it wasn't nice, so this means there's no parents or kids around and the client can deal with the worse images. It's never easy is it?!
From approx. 06.00hrs you have morning Golden Hour (if the sun is shining.... this is Britain). From about 19.00hrs: evening Golden Hour. I try to get my eye-candy shots at these times. Morning covers north and east aspects, evening: south and west. Just a thought. Look for an app titled PHOTOTIME on the play store. It's an ephemeris that overlays a satellite map of your chosen area with an easy to comprehend animated graphic of the sun's trajectory and position. VERY useful tool for pre-planning the best times to visit any site.

This thread is probably all threaded out with some excellent advice but by coincidence I was taking a brief half an hour between 35mph gusts to fly from a greensward near my son’s home in Andover the other day. I was fully aware that there was a primary school close by but as it was 17.00 I thought it would be OK. A few minutes after take off I was approached by a very friendly lady from the school building asking if I was flying a drone. I confirmed I was and she very politely asked me not to fly over it as there were still children there and “the parents can get a bit funny you know”. I was well away from it anyway but was happy to confirm I would not and my basic CAA requirements here forbid me from being within 50mtrs of any building. All good and everyone happy.

Reactions: Fizzbang
From approx. 06.00hrs you have morning Golden Hour (if the sun is shining.... this is Britain). From about 19.00hrs: evening Golden Hour. I try to get my eye-candy shots at these times. Morning covers north and east aspects, evening: south and west. Just a thought. Look for an app titled PHOTOTIME on the play store. It's an ephemeris that overlays a satellite map of your chosen area with an easy to comprehend animated graphic of the sun's trajectory and position. VERY useful tool for pre-planning the best times to visit any site.
Thanks - that would be great but unfortunately what I'm filming is a development of new build homes with some residents already moved in; not sure they'd take too kindly to a 6am flight haha!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor