DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

With Senate bill vote in September, should I wait to see if Mini Pro 5 gets released?

vaildan

Reactions
I am wanting to get my first drone and planning on getting a DJI mini pro. I just saw that DJI typically refreshes their models each fall(read typically in September). Because there is no rush, I would rather wait to see if a DJI Mini Pro 5 gets released next month, but the Senate drone bill has me concerned. From what I have read it sounds like the Senate will probably not accept the house version of the DJI ban, and their bill, which also just had the DJI ban added back in, will come up for a vote in September and then head to the House. -Who knows what will happen, but I have a coupe of new guy questions and trying to see if anyone has any details(or educated guesses)

1. What is the confidence level the DJI will even release a mini pro 5 this September/October? I know it is a guess, but with the leaks of the Neo getting released, are people thinking it is now 50/50? or do they normally refresh most of their lineup each fall? -Looking for any info like "they have released a new mini the past (2)Septembers, etc." because I just do not know.

2. Can you actually fly either the nano or the Mini pro(<250 grams)drone over US national forests? I am not asking a legal question(https://www.fs.usda.gov/visit/know-before-you-go/recreational-drone-tips), but an actual drone question. Will they actually fly everywhere? or does GPS make them refuse to fly over national parks and banned national forests areas(similar to controlled airspace over airports, etc.) I sometimes go extremely deep into the White River and San Juan national forests and just wondering if the drones typically detect(and refuse to fly) in wilderness areas of national forests where they are not allowed, etc.

3. What advantages would a future Neo possibly have over the Mini Pro? I saw a youtube where someone mentioned that because it will be even lighter and has enclosed props that is might be allowed to fly over congested people in a city park(which is normally illegal for mini 4 pro?), or maybe much safer to fly indoors(I doubt I even would unless kids are over at the house, etc.), but if anyone can think of any advantages where they are allowed, etc. let me know.

4. Any really good accessories for the Mini Pro besides the RC2 controller, 128GB card, and extra batteries for just recreational filming?

Lots of good questions here but I only have a few opinions to share. If you want a good drone, the Mini 4 Pro is a good drone to get today especially if you can find it at a good price. There have not been significant leaks on the next Mini that I've seen so it's unlikely there is one planned for this year at this point.

Not sure how committed you are to the Mini series drones but there may be a couple other more expensive heavier drones that may come out this year. In America, there are no laws or rules that regulate the ordinary flying of any of the different drones based of their weight. In general, everyone should register their recreational drone and then everything is equal at that point.

I'm not sure the Neo makes for a good drone for someone's first drone unless they want to get into FPV flying or they have a special need (like a committed youtuber on a specific channel, etc) but we won't know for sure until Neo launches. It's possible that drone may open a new category of drones that can fly over large crowds, etc. I don't think Neo competes head to head with the Mini 4 Pro so my opinion is don't worry about any potential DJI ban and get the drone you want and love and can afford today and then stay tuned with us here on the forum for the best discussions and answers to your questions. If you can wait until the end of the month, I've heard we may have more details from DJI.

I've flown my drone(s) many many times over national forests. BLM lands too. I even took a flight over some national wildlife refuge land (antelope) but I asked permission first and didn't come near any wildlife

Reactions: vaildan
USFS and BLM lands are wide open for drone use with the caveat of avoiding flying over people. The weight of your drone is not relevant for flights over those areas.

And just like that, here come the rumors:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

USFS and BLM lands are wide open for drone use with the caveat of avoiding flying over people. The weight of your drone is not relevant for flights over those areas.
With the exception of wilderness areas. Wilderness areas are no drone areas since they are supposed to be devoid of any "mechanized equipment". Here are 2 of many examples of this:

Do not fly over congressionally designated wilderness areas or primitive areas as many people seek these places for the opportunities for solitude and quiet that they provide.

Drone flight is prohibited in all Wilderness Areas as designated by the National Wilderness Preservation System. This blanket prohibition comes from the Wilderness Act of 1964 that states that all mechanized equipment is prohibited from taking off landing in designated Wilderness areas.

With the exception of wilderness areas. Wilderness areas are no drone areas since they are supposed to be devoid of any "mechanized equipment". Here are 2 of many examples of this:

That is correct.

Lots of good questions here but I only have a few opinions to share. If you want a good drone, the Mini 4 Pro is a good drone to get today especially if you can find it at a good price. There have not been significant leaks on the next Mini that I've seen so it's unlikely there is one planned for this year at this point.

Not sure how committed you are to the Mini series drones but there may be a couple other more expensive heavier drones that may come out this year. In America, there are no laws or rules that regulate the ordinary flying of any of the different drones based of their weight. In general, everyone should register their recreational drone and then everything is equal at that point.

I'm not sure the Neo makes for a good drone for someone's first drone unless they want to get into FPV flying or they have a special need (like a committed youtuber on a specific channel, etc) but we won't know for sure until Neo launches. It's possible that drone may open a new category of drones that can fly over large crowds, etc. I don't think Neo competes head to head with the Mini 4 Pro so my opinion is don't worry about any potential DJI ban and get the drone you want and love and can afford today and then stay tuned with us here on the forum for the best discussions and answers to your questions. If you can wait until the end of the month, I've heard we may have more details from DJI.
Thanks for your reply. I had read that if you stay below 250 grams that you do not have to register with the FAA. I am sure that probably does not matter, but I mostly want mine for hiking trips and would hate to buy something over 250 grams, apply for the FAA license or whatever, and get denied because the new anti-drone bill gets passed before that process completes, etc. The Mini footage looks great for me, but just wish I did not need the tool to adjust the props each time I "expand" it and it would be nice if it had a larger sensor as I think that helps it capture more light, especially at dusk/dawn. I thought I also read that anything over 250 grams need special permission for flying at night, but please let me know what details I am incorrect with.

And just like that, here come the rumors:

Thanks so much for this link as it is great info. That guy giving me the release dates made a big difference. I heard one guy on youtube going on and on about the Remote Controller upgrade. I am assuming he is talking about the RC2, which comes with the mini pro 4, but if there are any other almost required accessories that someone might want for recreational stuff besides the 128GB card and the extra batteries, let me know. This forum has been extremely helpful

Thanks for your reply. I had read that if you stay below 250 grams that you do not have to register with the FAA. I am sure that probably does not matter, but I mostly want mine for hiking trips and would hate to buy something over 250 grams, apply for the FAA license or whatever, and get denied because the new anti-drone bill gets passed before that process completes, etc. The Mini footage looks great for me, but just wish I did not need the tool to adjust the props each time I "expand" it and it would be nice if it had a larger sensor as I think that helps it capture more light, especially at dusk/dawn. I thought I also read that anything over 250 grams need special permission for flying at night, but please let me know what details I am incorrect with.
US recreational pilots do not have to register their drones that weigh under 250g. Not required but also not prohibited. I would go ahead and do it. It only cost $5 for a few years and you cannot be blocked from registering as long as you have a US credit card. After you register, then you add the drones you own one by one whether they are DJI drones or other drones. Regardless of the pending legislation, this process will not change. There really isn't a such thing as getting "denied."

I have a [registered] Mini 3 Pro and I am unaware of any required adjustment of the props with a tool each time. No special permission is required to fly at night for recreational flyers unless you fly in restriction airspace and then you need to apply for LAANC (which is an almost instant automatic approval process, not a waiver or special permission) and you will need to do the *regardless* of the weight of your drone. For recreational flyers, other than registration currently there really are no special explicit rules or regulations by drone weight (not counting category drones).

Please take the TRUST test (you can do that today) and you'll get a ton more useful information that you need to know *before* your first flight. Good luck!

Thanks - The concern with registering is simply the upcoming ban. If there are any positives with registering let me know, but I assume that is the entire reason for these being less 250 grams. The Drone Geek on Youtube did the best breakdown on what he thinks about the Neo, and does the best of going through the box and comparing the features to the Avata 2, that I have seen. I have no ideas on this stuff and just learning to try to assist in buying, but he said the new Neo is below "135 grams with enclosed propellers, which makes it the first Category 1 compliant drone for flying over people". I have no idea of the regulations, but it sounded like if you are at an outdoor concert at a park or somewhere that drones are not banned, that you still need a Category 1 drone for flying over people and the Neo might qualify? If anyone can provide better details here, let me know.

Last edited:
Thanks - The concern with registering is simply the upcoming ban. If there are any positives with registering, let me know. The Drone Geek on Youtube did the best breakdown on what he thinks about the Neo, and does the best of going through the box and comparing the features to the Avata 2, that I have seen. I have no ideas on this stuff and just learning to try to assist in buying, but he said the new Neo is below "135 grams with enclosed propellers, which makes it the first Category 1 compliant drone for flying over people". I have no idea of the regulations, but it sounded like if you are at an outdoor concert at a park or somewhere that drones are not banned, that you still need a Category 1 drone for flying over people and the Neo might qualify? If anyone can provide better details here, let me know.

Very well could be the first category 1 drone that allows you to fly over people, but I wouldn't know that for sure since that's "over my head." :)

I honestly don't know what it takes to become a category drone (allowing operation over people), if the category 1 drone has to be registered and does it have to transmit remote ID....and other things such as do you still need permission from the people underneath the drone if they are not willing participants, etc. We have experts here that will help answer those questions once the facts are known.

Not that it would change anything much because people fly over heads already even today with the drones we already have although it is not entirely legal. And honestly, I'm not sure it ever will be fully (unless you are a professional). I live in the real world and if you (as a stranger with a recreational drone) ever believe the day will comes where you can walk-in off the street to a soccer game in the park and stand on the street corner and launch a Neo drone over the team bench and over the crowd in the stands and get great shots of the breakaway goal and fly in and around the team members on the field and up and down the field during play....that's not at all realistic. You will still be responsible if there is an accident so make sure you get your insurance because the people and the legal system don't like drones. My opinion.

Otherwise, looks like a great drone. I will be getting one but not on day one. I tend to wait awhile to allow 3 things: 1) Others (and DJI) to work out the bugs and crank out a few sw updates, 2) Allow the compatibility lists to grow so I can be informed to choose the right tools/accessories from the beginning, and 3) Never pay MSRP, always buy on sale or some type of discount. Probably means my purchase will come in March 2025.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cam3n