DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wobbly Timed Shot-What in the heck is Wrong?

Dear Boblui
Thanks you so much for your help and sending this wonderful clip. So as I understand, you shot this in the VIDEO Hyperlapse mode? The difference is that the drone was in movement at all times. I assume you used either 2 second or 5 second interval and RAW, then processed it.

Let me know. My prior trials in the hyperlapse mode (an intelligent flight mode) were a failure when I tried to shot sequences of 125 images at 2 second intervals. I got tons of wobble. I have published those here before but I can attach if you want. It was a wonderful setting sun but with too much wobble trying to stay in one fixed position without flying.
The footage is very shaky indeed. The jello suggests that the footage has already been stabilized but it's still very shaky. Unless the wind is super strong, I am afraid there is some problem with the gimbal or IMU.

I really think there is still something janky with your camera still even though you sent it back...

This is shot on a air 2 up in tripod mode between 300/350 feet on a somewhat nicer night over a few hyper lapses and i didn't add in any stabilization post. You can see the horizon and while i have some wobble its nothing too much. Just posting it since its what you want for sunrises kind of.

I really think there is still something janky with your camera still even though you sent it back...

This is shot on a air 2 up in tripod mode between 300/350 feet on a somewhat nicer night over a few hyper lapses and i didn't add in any stabilization post. You can see the horizon and while i have some wobble its nothing too much. Just posting it since its what you want for sunrises kind of.

Is this the footage out of the drone ? if it is, it has already been stabilized. My experience is that additional stabilization in post won't help much.

IMO, even with no wind at all and even with a gimbal locked in place (which you don't want to do), you're going to get a lot of micro placement adjustments due to the GPS lock. I have yet to get stable footage from the hyperlapse functionality. (I'm still working on stablizing the footage in post production and I just got a new video card, so I'll get back to that soon.)

Another thing I'm going to try, mentioned above: ATTI mode, which only just this week finally got around to doing (link to the process on request, but you may have already seen the threads). I went out and did some test flights and, as expected, it's very smooth. I don't have a problem with the location drift because frankly, movement is very much desired (I do stationary timelapses already from my ground-based tripod).

However, some folk have got stable footage from these intelligent flight modes and I would like to as well. I believe the answer lies in stablization.

Chris

a lot of micro placement adjustments due to the GPS lock. .....ATTI mode,..... very smooth.

I find this very hard to understand or believe. The drone drifts a LOT less in GPS mode, how is it possible to end up in a more shaky timelapse / hyperlapse footage ? My experience is that wind and subject distance have dominating effects. Stabilization in post does help but it cannot remove all the shaking. A comparison I did earlier in windy conditions :

Last edited:
Reactions: THE CYBORG
I have taken another hyperlaspe footage using the intelligent flight mode of my M2P today. The stabilized ( with Premiere Pro's wrap stabilizer ) and non-stabilized versions are shown below. There was some wind but even so, the non-stabilized version does not share the same amount of wobbling in your footages. I therefore believe your drone is defective in some ways.

I doubt there is anything wrong with your drone and it seems that you may have wasted a refresh. These drones simply drift a little over time. If you watch any time lapse of a drone you will see this. These drifts are slow and not really noticeable during normal video but a time lapse makes any drifting super pronounced. Since you are hovering with objects closer to the camera, the change in perspective will make the drifting will be more noticeable.

Hyper lapse mode in raw does not apply any stabilization and that is why your footage appears shaky when you process it. If you turn on the hyper lapse video frame setting you will see how much the drone crops in on the image to achieve stable footage when exporting the video and not the raw files.

Here is a video showing some small drift:

The timelapse starts at about 2:30

Drift is weird in hyperlapses i get it sometimes and sometimes i dont get it... Usually its not that bad though not really sure if more sats help or not in this situation.

Drift is weird in hyperlapses i get it sometimes and sometimes i dont get it... Usually its not that bad though not really sure if more sats help or not in this situation.

GPS is not accurate enough to guarantee drift free, long duration photography.

I don't think anything is guaranteed in hyperlapses. Product of the moment if anything.

Why they are fun.

After years of trying, I am not able to get a decent, wobble free hyperlapse for sunsets or sunrises. Only a ground based tripod can provide this.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan