DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Won’t fly higher than 96’

mrwagdog

Reactions
Hey all;

I flew my MP earlier today at my neighbors, about 1/2 mile from my home and didn’t have a problem. I went up to 200’, we flew around for a while and had no issues. I was using an iPad to fly with.

I just tried to fly it at home using an android phone. As soon as I hit 96’, I got a max altitude warning and it wouldn’t go higher. I landed, switched from my android phone to the iPad (just to see if it was an issue), cycled the power, took off, same problem. I can’t fly higher than 96’.

My max is set at 120m, which should get me close to 400’. I tried setting it to 500m, got a warning, but still couldn’t go higher than 96’. Set the max back to 120m.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

Were you flying without GPS? When the aircraft doesn't have a usable GPS signal and the downward sensors are disabled, the altitude is limited to 98 feet.

If that doesn't seem to be the issue, then please upload your TXT flight log here and post the link back here.

Were you flying without GPS? When the aircraft doesn't have a usable GPS signal and the downward sensors are disabled, the altitude is limited to 98 feet.

If that doesn't seem to be the issue, then please upload your TXT flight log here and post the link back here.
Appreciate the reply.

I had GPS... at least I believe I did.

Log is uploaded here: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

When I replay it back in DJI GO, I get the error popping up 28 seconds into the flight.

Strangely enough, I just turned everything off (except the ipad), came in to write the OP, went back out and tried it again; worked fine, no altitude restriction. Strange.

Possibly in beginner mode? It has a 30m altitude restriction which roughly equates 96'. Just a suggestion ;)

Reactions: mrwagdog
I had GPS... at least I believe I did.
Yes, that was not the issue. You also weren't in beginner mode and the max altitude was definitely set higher than 93 feet.

If this continues to happen and you're not running the current Mavic Pro firmware, then I'd recommend you try installing the latest firmware.

Why the sudden change, 200 feet high in one area and 96 feet in another?

Different settings maybe in different devices - possibly a software difference between the two - different versions - make sure your not in beginner mode

Different settings maybe in different devices
All of the settings that restrict the altitude are stored on the aircraft. Switching devices would not affect the stored settings.

Yes, that was not the issue. You also weren't in beginner mode and the max altitude was definitely set higher than 93 feet.

If this continues to happen and you're not running the current Mavic Pro firmware, then I'd recommend you try installing the latest firmware.

I thought I’d updated the firmware recently - I’ll check later this evening.

I did think beginner mode might be the issue, but I checked while flying and was not in beginner mode. I did try to switch on beginner mode after it happened to see if flipping it on/off would have an effect, but could not do so while flying.

Why the sudden change, 200 feet high in one area and 96 feet in another?
I flew at 200’ in the first area. I noticed no restriction in the first area; I’m sure I could have flown higher had I wanted to. The aircraft would not ascend higher than 96’ in the second area.

@msinger - I’m running firmware 1.04.0500 and GO4 4.3.17 - those are the latest versions that I’m aware of.

I’m curious if you think it was just an anomaly or is there something else I should be looking at?

I’m curious if you think it was just an anomaly or is there something else I should be looking at?
Since you're running the current firmware, it seems it might be an undiscovered bug.

Since you're running the current firmware, it seems it might be an undiscovered bug.
I sent in a report. I’ll report back here if I hear anything.

Reactions: Gazmg and msinger
just a thought did you run the app. that lets you know if your in a restricted flight area. Maybe it knew to not allow you above the 96 feet at that time due to some other aircraft flight plan and then when it could allowed to above 96'

It looks like you got caught by DJI's height limitation zone from airport CTQ2/Heller in Canada.
That airport is 2.2 NM from your flight position when you first encountered max. altitude reached.
The runway (01/19) points in your approximate direction as depicted below:

You were in controlled airspace:

It looks like you got caught by DJI's height limitation zone from airport CTQ2/Heller in Canada.
That airport is 2.2 NM from your flight position when you first encountered max. altitude reached.
The runway (01/19) points in your approximate direction as depicted below:

View attachment 74049

You were in controlled airspace:

View attachment 74050
Maybe. Does that update in real time? I.e. if there is air traffic? There wasn’t any that day.

I’ve never encountered this before and the message indicated it was the max altitude setting that I had control over.

That airfield is a grass strip, btw. It’s very rarely used. I’ve met the owner. I called him last year before flying.

Does that update in real time? I.e. if there is air traffic? There wasn’t any that day.
That doesn't matter. As long the airport is registered it is deemed active. (check NOTAM briefings if stated otherwise - operation hours or airspace classification change)

I’ve never encountered this before and the message indicated it was the max altitude setting that I had control over.
It could be DJI had changed something in their GEO system in the past.

That airfield is a grass strip, btw. It’s very rarely used. I’ve met the owner. I called him last year before flying.
You are on U.S. territory - You have to fly according to FAA rule-set. (either hobby or part 107)

You are on U.S. territory - You have to fly according to FAA rule-set. (either hobby or part 107)
Ok.

So I just got off the phone with the airstrip owner (I had called him last year too and spoke with his son, fwiw). He’s a nice guy who I met in person several years ago.

He is ok with me flying without calling every time. His son (adult) said the same thing last year, but I wanted to confirm. He said they see most of their traffic in Sep when they have a fly-in and even invited me to the next one.

So, I’ve notified him - he acknowledged and said I shouldn’t call every time I fly.

My intention is to always stay within the law - call every time, or not?

Last edited:
Current law does not require you to call before flying. The only requirement is to see and avoid manned aircraft.

Recreational UAS pilots: The Skyward Airspace Map shows 5.5 KM circles around airports and landing strips as yellow solid outlined areas. Recreational UAS pilots should not fly in this area without permission from Transport Canada unless at a MAAC field or event.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J