DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

wont accept my vertical spin for calibration completion

After watching the video link, I liken this process to that of adjusting/trimming the sticks on RC controllers for planes etc by using the little sliders for vertical and horizontal for each stick.

Thanks msinger. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Happy flying.

Went through the controller calibration... Kinda poor process from what I saw...

Then I did a compass calibration. Got it off the ground to 1.2 meters. Wouldn't go higher as its blowing a gail here tonight. The trees sheltered the lower twenty feet. When I tried to land it with full down left stick, it wouldn't respond. I had to use the LAND icon to get it down. Wasn't a good feeling. Almost panicked as I thought about grabbing it.

Ok. I'm back again after just loosing two props. Last time I test flew, it was just after doing a controller calibration to fix the drifting issue. At that time, it didn't respond to a down command on the left stick and I had to auto land with the icon.

Tonight I watched several videos on this calibration and then calibrated the controller again. I then did an update of the controller and the Mavic. Being a little too confident, I figured I would lift off the floor in my living room and test the descend with the left stick again.

It lifted off... Started drifting left sideways... Hit a chair... Grabbed a blanket and broke two props. Fortunately I have the fly more package and had two extra props. The gimbal and camera appear to be ok.

WHAT HAPPENED?

Unless I have a malfunction in my system, the only thing I know which was different with these two flights was a warning of low light and no vision sensors. I've seen many videos where people are flying in dark and I've heard nothing about not being able to descend. CAN LOW LIGHT CAUSE THIS TO HAPPEN? Someone please give me an answer because with these two last flights going this way, I'm losing faith and thinking about tying this thing on.

:-(

Indoor flight uses the Vision Position sensors on the bottom of the Mavic and they need a good amount of light to position the Mavic. When people fly in darkness they are typically outdoors where a GPS lock on multiple satellites can be obtained and it is not dependent upon the Vision Position sensors.

Flying indoors in low light conditions is a recipe for disaster. Do yourself a favor and dont fly indoors

Ok. Learned that lesson the hard way. Could have been worse.

First time this happened I was outside after dark with a good gps lock.

Tonight, though inside, I also had a GPS lock. This surprised me but it was in gps mode inside.

How can I safely test this situation? I'm very fearful of it going up and not coming back. Not sure if I want to rely totally on the automated landing process

I need to trust this thing again..

You are going to have to rely on the RTH in this situation. if the Mavic begins ascending and left stick down does not allow it to reduce altitude there is a real concern. However if one presses and Holds the RTH button on the remote controller then the process to return home will be initiated. Then AutoLand would HAVE to be used.

Switch it to beginner mode while doing your testing so that there is an imposed fence around the Mavic's total flight distance and height. That virtual fence will keep it somewhat contained during flight. That way if it flys off it wont be so far that you cannot find it. . Bring a blanket as you may need to toss it over the top to contain it if AutoLand does not bring it all the way down. If you are not an experienced and catcher this is the next best alternative.

Most important - Stay Calm and think about your options during the testing. Dont act impulsively. Unprepared thought is what causes panic.

Plot out beforehand if this happens - I will do this and if that happens I will do this.

Up to this point, I've only used the Mavic under manual control. Though I don't like the idea of trying the automated features under such circumstances, I guess I have little choice. The virtual boundaries of the beginner mode do out me a little at ease.

Thanks

In this specific situation I dont see any other logical alternative. Oh since you are not going to be flying very high and just testing the control stick input also reduce your RTH altitude in the DJIGO 4 settings . That way when you press and HOLD the RTH button it will not try to ascend to some huge height.

Remember to adjust this RTH Max Altitude back to meet terrain elevation conditions in the future.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121