DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Worth to fly it?

nikkolaa

Reactions
Hey guys,

I have a window to fly in the next hour, I've put wind threshold to 26km/h, but don't know if it's really safe to fly, considering I only have two hours of flight on MP (first drone ever)

Maybe just keep it low and train myself on controlling it at low level?
1517918300573.png

Thanks,
Nico

Hey guys,

I have a window to fly in the next hour, I've put wind threshold to 26km/h, but don't know if it's really safe to fly, considering I only have two hours of flight on MP (first drone ever)

Maybe just keep it low and train myself on controlling it at low level?
View attachment 30657

Thanks,
Nico
Wouldnt bother. If in doubt dont fly.
It will always be your main focus while flying. Your mind will not be on the task at hand.

Reactions: Former Member
I had same conditions Sunday and flew for 10 min just fighting the wind. Will say it’s a good learning experience.

Those are some pretty brutal gusts. Maybe if you are in an area where you can keep it real low to the ground and just practice some maneuvers. I’m talking like 10 feet lol.

Nikkola, can u tell me the name of this apk?
I use that app also. It's UAV forecast. For free it will give you 24 hours of forecast. If you want a week's worth of forecast you need to pay an annual fee of approximately $20. In my humble opinion I think it's an indispensable app.

I use that app also. It's UAV forecast. For free it will give you 24 hours of forecast. If you want a week's worth of forecast you need to pay an annual fee of approximately $20. In my humble opinion I think it's an indispensable app.
Even in free version you're right!

Those are some pretty brutal gusts. Maybe if you are in an area where you can keep it real low to the ground and just practice some maneuvers. I’m talking like 10 feet lol.
Well, in the end, I'm glad to report no casualties at all !

Let's start with, i had a 9min flight only, set up max height to 30m (short flight because of work constraints) and went up to 26m.

Location was a horses training field, with few jumping obstacles,
I used one of this "table", one meter high, as take off and landing spot, as I've left additional legs at home, looked pretty useful though.
(mix of wet grass and mud on ground, was raining when I parked the car nearby).

Surroundings: this park and the valley is circled by medium hills, that's why I usually go here to fly, since I've received the MP
From past experience I'm not even able to state about any potential mitigation of the wind estimations given by meteo predictions - as I was always flying with very low wind levels

So, today, I waited just a bit to takeoff, after preflight checklist was done, for the wind gusts to lower, then initiate manual takeoff (empirical perception and little finger self confidence at this moment).

I hovered 60 sec and did notice real "fighting" against wind to maintain position (even when I was feeling what I'd call "gusts").

Basic wind direction was clearly noticeable though, when looking at clouds drifting all the same way and quite fast.
So I've chosen to fly far only against wind, to get back to me easily in case of wind reinforcement.

At this point I think the hills are already protecting the site somehow, in comparison to high winds, but did not reduce gusts occurrence though.

So during the flight I let it sometimes hover a bit to monitor any wind countering effect, nothing really important, at least that I could see.

Worth to note at this point that I had no high wind alert during the whole flight, at all.
The rear led blinked differently though sometimes, but honestly I did not have time to check significance of all sequence to search for match (was green as normal, and sometimes some red yellow ish blink)

All of this to say... Landing was quite an fun and learnful experience, even if nothing during flight made me anticipate it.. And my MP now earned his name..

First, it was fun only because I went back to land with battery still at more than 70% (so I had plenty of time) and because I always had possibility to land it grossly on muddy ground.

Learnful, because I never thought gusts would manifest themselves at this exact moment, at 1,80m high. Especially considering I was actually feeling the same kind of gusts when taking off and hovering nicely
When trying to center the MP above the table (1msq at least), it was really fighting against wind as it looked (no alert on App), and I was waiting for just 2 sec without wind to lower it nicely, right in the center (and avoid some kind of hazardous balancing at the edge, with a good diving finish of gimbal into the mud below like in good movies)

I did that for 3-4 minutes, testing also the sonic sensors, how they automatically reduce descending speed when triggered during manual landing with sticks (I understood it like this from user manual), until where you can get close to surface before passing point of no return, etc

I also noticed that when I was facing the MP, front obstacle avoidance system detected me and somehow got more accurate in its movement, at least those I was sending with sticks, but no perfect stationary flight though.

I was feeling like on ATC of an aircraft sea-carrier (sorry for the lack of vocabulary but I'm sure you get it, that's a warship!) looking at a top gun incoming.

I finally just pushed down left stick when it was 40 centimeters above surface and roughly in center, and it went smooth [emoji23]

Codename "Maverick-1", now he knows why, and he's certified for critical and narrowed landing points

Great apk[emoji4][emoji4] tnx

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d