DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would a beginnger be less prone to crash a Mavic Air2?

I think the best decision you made is to go with "no more cheap drones".
I first bought a couple cheap drones and they were very disappointing. I bought a Mavic Mini and was amazed at the technology. You have to try hard to crash or lose a mini.

I tried starting out with some cheap TOYS, under $150, with the reasoning that I would "move up" after learning the basics. Not a one of them was easily controllable. Even a simple hover was nearly impossible, no matter how much I adjusted them. The were NOT fun.

My Mini has given me no such problems and has been a pleasure to fly. I try to tell anyone now - don't waste your money on the toys, get a real drone.

I tried starting out with some cheap TOYS, under $150, with the reasoning that I would "move up" after learning the basics. Not a one of them was easily controllable. Even a simple hover was nearly impossible, no matter how much I adjusted them. The were NOT fun.

My Mini has given me no such problems and has been a pleasure to fly. I try to tell anyone now - don't waste your money on the toys, get a real drone.

And as a bonus, the mini is very cheap, yet excellent quality.

I wouldn't call it cheap! Just lowest cost real drone that I'm aware of. One dunk in the pond and $400 will still hurt!
All relevant I guess.
Same price as two new tires on my bike, a weekend away with my girlfriend if we don't go far, or do anything fancy, so it is cheap compared to most things, and is a lot of ongoing fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: SW_Drone_Guy
All relevant I guess.
Same price as two new tires on my bike, a weekend away with my girlfriend if we don't go far, or do anything fan, so it is cheap compared to most things, and is a lot of ongoing fun.

I buy Shinko 705s at $100 each for my GS and mount and balance myself. Work great and get about 5K miles rear and 8K miles front. With 85K miles I'd be in the poor house buying the normal $200 plus tires mount and balanced! Plus the local dealer trashed my wheel and cost them $1500 to replace!

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
I would a bit disagree, with the above statement. There is a huge difference flying without sensors and flying without stabilizators like GPS. This is what you experienced with the original cheap drone. At the moment you need to do a lot of maneuvering just to keep your drone hovering on the place, for you to fly in direction you want to fly not your nonstabilized drone and wind decides to fly requires a lot of experience. For a beginner almost impossible. This you will not experience with dji drones, I already have 3 of them. But be careful with interferences from powerful TV transmitters, which can inhibit your stabilizators like compass or GPS.
Doing examines for license there's an ad advantage, that on the current dji drones you cannot switch to vision mode unless you are indoor. I flew in vision mode during examination for license for my P3P where you can switch to that mode. It was a great fun especially for the examination commissar.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Also on the same page with Old Man Mavic. Also, a X Wedding photographer, portrait, sports. Still doing product photography, being you have experience with camera's. Selecting a drone is like, which camera is best for the Job. I have been using Nikons for 45 years, I like them because
camera lens from 30 or more years are compatible with newer DSLR cameras. I like the glass, from years back. Any way, It's good to learn how to fly first and foremost. Trying, to take good pictures, and fly is rough when your a newbe at it. Its like learning the curve from 35MM cameras to Digital
cameras. Here is just one example, RTH feature on the Drone, 3 features, 1. Smart RTH. #2 Low battery RTH #3 Fail safe RTH. Which one to use, and to make sure you make it back to home point while being involved with Exposure, etc, etc. Any way, we are all trying to help you make good choices,
you have tougher decisions because of your back ground as a photographer.
I fly two MP, playing with them, taking pictures, not 107 certified yet. Not in any hurry, looking at other drones, more expensive to use for making a profit. Have fun, hope you make wise choice.

I have a Mavic Mini.
I had contemplated a Mavic Air2 and could afford it
I was just like you vindibona, I wasn't sure if I WANTED to spend the extra money for the MA2, so I decided on the Mini. I'm happy. I've been flying for a month and a half or so and haven't outgrown the Mavic Mini yet! You're a musician, so you understand the importance of having the best gear you can afford, but the price of the gear doesn't indicate the quality of the resultant music. I started gigging with the cheapest PA I could find and did ok playing coffeehouse type gigs. When I was offered larger venues, the little PA wasn't enough and I knew I'd outgrown it. THAT's when I moved up to a Bose L1 Model II system - when, and only when, I outgrew the gear I had. I hope to follow the same philosophy with drones - I do see the implications of the "bigger & better" DJI drones, but I ain't there yet.
BTW, if you learn to fly without the extra sensors, (I believe) you'll probably be a better drone pilot than someone who assumes that obstacles will be "automatically" avoided... You don't learn to fly planes by turning on the autopilot and sitting back to enjoy the flight. No, you FLY the plane - and that includes obstacle avoidance.
Good luck with that overheating issue, I hope it's a one-time thing.
Happy flying

Buy them both.. and if you crash one .. you still have one to fly...

DJI sells great drones.
I have both the Mini and the Air 2.

That's basically what I did ... I bought the Air 2 and my wife got me the Mini for our 25th anniversary, so I had them within the same month.

I now use the Mini when I am trying out new maneuvers, more dangerous (i.e. trees locations, etc). It's my practice and "test drone". Not that I go crazy with it, but I am more at ease flying the mini, although the Air is definitely a better ride and has more safety features. Love them both!

Last edited:
I first bought a couple cheap drones and they were very disappointing. I bought a Mavic Mini and was amazed at the technology. You have to try hard to crash or lose a mini. With some common sense you will have a lot of fun with it. My "save me" Minis are, let go of the sticks in soon to crash scenario and it will hover in place while you gather your wits! Never fly downwind if there is any wind! I have over 100 flights on the Mini and still going strong!

But I did just order a Mavic 2 :)
I bought a cheap Drone, workmate picked up a second hand MM the day mine was delivered, next day after seeing the MM flying and then looked at my cheap Drone flying.........ordered the MA2 lol.
Now work mate has sold his MM and picked up a second hand MP lol. But I also like the looks of the MM2 as a backup, but kept cheap drone for now as it dose fly and handy to have if my MA2 decides to hide somewhere and need something to go look for it lol.

Reactions: hiflyer201
I bought a cheap Drone, workmate picked up a second hand MM the day mine was delivered, next day after seeing the MM flying and then looked at my cheap Drone flying.........ordered the MA2 lol.
Now work mate has sold his MM and picked up a second hand MP lol. But I also like the looks of the MM2 as a backup, but kept cheap drone for now as it dose fly and handy to have if my MA2 decides to hide somewhere and need something to go look for it lol.
I think I cited this quote somewhere: "Coffee leads to donuts. Donuts leads to ants". Truer words were never spoken.

I had a similar experience, but was a little more stressful. I bought the Cheap Chinese Drone off of Banggood. It came out of the box defective and fought with them for 3 weeks before my bank rescued me and refunded the money (long story). I'd contemplated the MA2 as my first DJI drone but my experience with the drone that was supposed to be a Chinese "knockoff" of the DJI Mavic Air, I was hesitant to pull the trigger for $1000. Then Costco came along with a bundle for $369 with extra battery and dome charger and I was in. 4 weeks later I bought a Mavic 2 Pro. The Mini 2 looked too good not to see if I could upgrade and so the Mini 1 got sold to go after the Mini 2- which came today.

I think I cited this quote somewhere: "Coffee leads to donuts. Donuts leads to ants". Truer words were never spoken.

I had a similar experience, but was a little more stressful. I bought the Cheap Chinese Drone off of Banggood. It came out of the box defective and fought with them for 3 weeks before my bank rescued me and refunded the money (long story). I'd contemplated the MA2 as my first DJI drone but my experience with the drone that was supposed to be a Chinese "knockoff" of the DJI Mavic Air, I was hesitant to pull the trigger for $1000. Then Costco came along with a bundle for $369 with extra battery and dome charger and I was in. 4 weeks later I bought a Mavic 2 Pro. The Mini 2 looked too good not to see if I could upgrade and so the Mini 1 got sold to go after the Mini 2- which came today.
Drones are a deep dark hole once you get sucked in. ?

Drones are a deep dark hole once you get sucked in. ?
Don't ya know it. It intertwines with so many different disciplines and interests and provides us with a perspective that we don't get while ground-bound.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike