DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would Disabling House Wifi Give Better Range?

Pilotjake

Reactions
Hi all,

I was just wondering if disabling the wifi in my house might give my drone better range. I’m a bit of a newb when it comes to this stuff I know that the drone range has allot to do with where the drone is flying and if signals are blocking it there. But I was thinking I could make a small improvement but removing wifi around me. I have mesh wifi setup and loads of cameras and smart home devices around where I take off.

thoughts?

Hi all,

I was just wondering if disabling the wifi in my house might give my drone better range. I’m a bit of a newb when it comes to this stuff I know that the drone range has allot to do with where the drone is flying and if signals are blocking it there. But I was thinking I could make a small improvement but removing wifi around me. I have mesh wifi setup and loads of cameras and smart home devices around where I take off.

thoughts?
Sorry should specify flying a mavic 2 pro on dual band

It should not have any effect on the drones range or performance. Communications is between the drone and transmitter. They operate on different frequencies. However, range is effected by obstructions and other terrestrial interference and of course weather. The way to understand this is imagine a gun and target your pointing at, if it is daylight and you can see your target yoiu can shoot it, however if a big wall is between you and the target you loose visual. If you see the target and a wind is blowing you have to adjust for it. Radio signals behave in similar ways. I could go on but you get the gist.

Hi all,

thoughts?
i find if i get away from the houses i get far better range go try an open field and then fly out 3 miles ya works alot better with no other wifi around

i find if i get away from the houses i get far better range go try an open field and then fly out 3 miles ya works alot better with no other wifi around
All you are doing is reducing the number of possible causes of interference. All wireless systems operate in frequency bands allocated by the Relevant authorities worldwide. Drones operate on the 2.4 and 5.8 gbt frequency range there are other frequencies adjacent to this and without going too deep there are also harmonics it. it's not the wifi but the frequency it operates at that causes the interference, something you will never get in todays world

All you are doing is reducing the number of possible causes of interference. All wireless systems operate in frequency bands allocated by the Relevant authorities worldwide. Drones operate on the 2.4 and 5.8 gbt frequency range there are other frequencies adjacent to this and without going too deep there are also harmonics it. it's not the wifi but the frequency it operates at that causes the interference, something you will never get in todays world
would be nice to use low band but that wont ever happen ..go to where there is nobody and see what interference u get ..no houses no busness no interference pretty simple

would be nice to use low band but that wont ever happen ..go to where there is nobody and see what interference u get ..no houses no busness no interference pretty simple
In the modern world not possible unless you find a small island in the Pacific or Indian Oceans away from planes ships etcetc and even then undersea cables satellites microwaves will spoil your fun. The closest you will get is the Coronavirus lockdown. But guess what you cannot go out ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom