DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC 3 PRO + DJI-RC - 4km Max - (Not 8km CE as advertised)

Rockowe

Reactions
I Live on a Mountain in the Suburbs (about 70m above the surroundings).

First Let me say I LOVE this drone - The cameras are Awesome, Speed is good, Battery life so much better....
At Close Quarters its Awesome ....

BUT.... (when doing a Range Test - or wanting a Long Distance Approach B Roll) not so much !!!

I find The DJI - RC (remote controller) is Not Strong Enough. We are on a Mountain. (far from any Airports).
So No Vegetation problems, No Antenas nothing between the drone and the DJI-RC
Its Range is 3km - 4km (line of Site) - then the VIDEO Stutters and Stops, Turns Grey and the Drone Loses connection and enters RTH (Return to home)

The RC for the Mavic 2 ZOOM reaches further (Up to 6km) - is better.

Ibought this DJI-RC Bundle because of the Cameras, speed , and Batteries, and because the DJI-RC advertises (Boasts) 8km CE 15km (FCC) range. (The same is said for the DJI-RC PRO)

- I get Only 3-4km in an unhindered line of site (with the DJI-RC)

Can someone shed some light. This drone was expensive and I was hoping for more Range

A)Is this an Remote Controller issue ?

B)The Drone itself? - Iv Seen videos of very long Range tests but only using the RC-PRO

Or just the C) DJI-RC -

or D) Possible radio Interference?

... or E) maybe a setting.

.. or F) I dont know (maybe wrong advertising)

Iv set the Range to 8km - from Unlimited - ... and had a slight improvement. This was recommended by DJI (SA) in an online call while testing on a live flight - but 4km Max - then the Message 'Your Signal may be blocked' then GREY SCREEN (Image) then Disconnected - then RTH

Please can some Mavic 3 PRO DJI-RC Expert shed some light....

you have to remember that the DJI RC is a much less powerful version of the much more expensive pro model
while it is perfectly adequate for most applications ,the specs advertised are possible range not cast in tablets of stone
when you imagine the drones width flying at 4k plus away from the RC and take into consideration the position of the antennas inside the RC then taking all those factors into consideration it is quite remarkable that there is any connection at all between the RC ,drone ,and back to the RC ,a great deal of the signal between them is going to be absorbed or scattered over those sort of distances ,for many many reasons
for flying long distances you really need an external antenna set up and some sort of signal booster to give you the best chance of success

Disclaimer
in answering your query i am in no way condoning your actions for doing such flights
despite what some forum members may think ,i am not the forum police
what you choose to do with your drone is entirely up to you

Those little range extending clip on antennas that look like junk WORK I got 30% more range with a cheap one.
Try and see if range improves with altitude if it does it is most likely something somehow causing a transmission interruption (trees, lots of bushes weird anomaly?

Those little range extending clip on antennas that look like junk WORK I got 30% more range with a cheap one.
Try and see if range improves with altitude if it does it is most likely something somehow causing a transmission interruption (trees, lots of bushes weird anomaly?
Thanks for the Reply -
Theres Nothing to interupt Line of Sight on the Mountain top - so no trees or antennas or anything...

... Iv Never trusted the Range Extenders - but its an Option.
- thanks

Last edited:
you have to remember that the DJI RC is a much less powerful version of the much more expensive pro model
while it is perfectly adequate for most applications ,the specs advertised are possible range not cast in tablets of stone
when you imagine the drones width flying at 4k plus away from the RC and take into consideration the position of the antennas inside the RC then taking all those factors into consideration it is quite remarkable that there is any connection at all between the RC ,drone ,and back to the RC ,a great deal of the signal between them is going to be absorbed or scattered over those sort of distances ,for many many reasons
for flying long distances you really need an external antenna set up and some sort of signal booster to give you the best chance of success

Disclaimer
in answering your query i am in no way condoning your actions for doing such flights
despite what some forum members may think ,i am not the forum police
what you choose to do with your drone is entirely up to you

Thanks -
You always have quite a good answer for these types of things...

BUT

My Query is ONLY that If DJI advertises 8km (CE) - and for ANY reason whatsoever someone is buying the drone because of that, then getting HALF of that, - seems misleading.

My Mavic 2 ZOOM with Occusync 2 got more distance - than the flagship DJI Occusync advertised
Why should I lose Signal - RTH at Half the advertised distance (AND in line of site from a mountain top) ?

Will the PRO sort this out maybe ? with its FOUR antennas?? (2 being directional) - Maybe ? - Maybe an RC-PRO person could comment on this.

I cant have the Drone doing RTH (line of site) - unexpectedly -

In my case - I need the Once off Distance shot - for a Distance view to the Local filming site. (B-roll)
(eg something like the Cowboy movies - Starting at an empty desert view... then locating a dot - then moving in for filming the Saloon where the action happens - you know the INTRO !)

Thanks for your input :)

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
Thanks -
You always have quite a good answer for these types of things...

BUT

My Query is ONLY that If DJI advertises 8km (CE) - and for ANY reason whatsoever someone is buying the drone because of that, then getting HALF of that, - seems misleading.

My Mavic 2 ZOOM with Occusync 2 got more distance - than the flagship DJI Occusync advertised
Why should I lose Signal - RTH at Half the advertised distance (AND in line of site from a mountain top) ?

Will the PRO sort this out maybe ? with its FOUR antennas?? (2 being directional) - Maybe ? - Maybe an RC-PRO person could comment on this.

I cant have the Drone doing RTH (line of site) - unexpectedly -

In my case - I need the Once off Distance shot - for a Distance view to the Local filming site. (B-roll)
(eg something like the Cowboy movies - Starting at an empty desert view... then locating a dot - then moving in for filming the Saloon where the action happens - you know the INTRO !)

Thanks for your input :)
With the RC Pro you should get much longer range. It is more powerfull radio and the external antennas make significant difference in signal range. They need to be positioned in such a way that the flat parts, not the pointy tips are facing the drone !! I saw too many people neglecting doing this. Many have their antennas with their tips pointing towards the drone which is completely wrong and worst for range. The radio signal is not emitted from the antenna tip and where the tip is pointing is like a blind spot for the signal, it is the weakest there !!!

Last edited:
@Rockowe ,as i mentioned in my post #2 above,unless i knew exactly how DJI determine the range that they quote in their sales literature ,then really i cant honestly answer your question with any certainty
what is a fact is with any drone from any manufacturer ,the quoted range is always going to be a best estimate ,on a perfect day in a make believe land beyond the rainbow ,far far away

Another reason to read the manual. From the RC Pro manual -
[1] The remote controller can reach its maximum transmission distance (FCC) in a wide open area with no electromagnetic interference using a MAVIC 3 at an altitude of approximately 120 meters.

Thanks for that -
DJI - (in SA) - are telling me its probably interference -
But Surely Directional antenas make a difference
Thank you for your advice

[1] The remote controller can reach its maximum transmission distance (FCC) in a wide open area with no electromagnetic interference using a MAVIC 3 at an altitude of approximately 120 meters.
---
Yeah I get it - its in Pure Conditions. - Ido Fly at that altitude -
There may be too much city interference - with the DJI-RC
Maybe the PRO will do Better with external Antennas

Reactions: bassnbeau
---
Yeah I get it - its in Pure Conditions. - Ido Fly at that altitude -
There may be too much city interference - with the DJI-RC
Maybe the PRO will do Better with external Antennas
RC Pro has 5x the signal strength of the DJI RC.
It will at least double your range and signal stability!

You just mentioned this before I could. Interference. If he is on a mountain top, what type of content is around him in the mountain. Are there any type of metals/ore deposits that could be causing his problem?

Reactions: mobilehomer
You just mentioned this before I could. Interference. If he is on a mountain top, what type of content is around him in the mountain. Are there any type of metals/ore deposits that could be causing his problem?
Essentially Im flying High - ... The Mountain is 70 m Up and I fly at 30 M above that - so .. 100M....

Theres something cookie with these results .Maybe suburban Wifi is Interfering ... but then the AUTO change to 5g from 2g should kick in....

4km is my Range .... on the DJI-RC
has anyone reported Better?

RC Pro has 5x the signal strength of the DJI RC.
It will at least double your range and signal stability!
I would really like to try the RC-PRO - but its pretty Pricey - especially in my Country.

ALso at the moment they dont sell the RC-PRO individually -
They say 2 weeks time.

Our Retailer and local DJI themselves (JHB - SA) dispute that the RC-PRO - will give a better range -

Any suggestions on how I should be able to test the difference?
Maybe someone will Publish a Youtube VIDEO or something.

I would really like to try the RC-PRO - but its pretty Pricey - especially in my Country.

ALso at the moment they dont sell the RC-PRO individually -
They say 2 weeks time.

Our Retailer and local DJI themselves (JHB - SA) dispute that the RC-PRO - will give a better range -

Any suggestions on how I should be able to test the difference?
Maybe someone will Publish a Youtube VIDEO or something.
Doesn't the RC-N1 have better range than the RC?

I flew the M3C (CE-model) with the DJI-RC out to 8.5 Km (at around 80 to 100 m height) and still had full controll and stable video. I turned around because I didn´t want to force it into RTH but 9 Km surely would not have been a problem. So the theoretical range is doable in a low WiFi environment. You can find that range test on my YT-chanel.

With the RC Pro you should get much longer range. It is more powerfull radio and the external antennas make significant difference in signal range. They need to be positioned in such a way that the flat parts, not the pointy tips are facing the drone !! I saw too many people neglecting doing this. Many have their antennas with their tips pointing towards the drone which is completely wrong and worst for range. The radio signal is not emitted from the antenna tip and where the tip is pointing is like a blind spot for the signal, it is the weakest there !!!
It's still not acceptable that the Mavic 3 Pro sold either with the RCN1 or the DJI RC is not able to reach the same range as the old Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom sold with the default controller. You don't wanna see this kind of downgrade when you buy a new model and even less at this price point.

Reactions: blackbirdsr72
It's still not acceptable that the Mavic 3 Pro sold either with the RCN1 or the DJI RC is not able to reach the same range as the old Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom sold with the default controller. You don't wanna see this kind of downgrade when you buy a new model and even less at this price point.
I did not say it was acceptable that the range with DJI RC especially in CE config is not as advertised. I just tried to answer the question the best I could.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne