DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would the Mini 4 be able to avoid this?

Buel

Reactions
Hi all.

Below is a video of a (very) near miss I had with my Mini 3 using QuickShots/Circle....I should have seen this, of course, but didn't until I passed it and then I ended the QuickShot.
My question is would the obstacle avoidance on the Mini 4 have avoided this?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Based solely on my experience doing waypoints, yes it probably would have detected that pole. However, that was dangerously close to being in the drones left side blind spot. The mini 4 lacks side OA and it's very sketchy in detecting a side approach especially an object of that size, the closer the object is to being 90° from the front and back sensors while moving sideways.

Reactions: TinajaEco
That's a pretty tilted horizon you have there...

****, made a typo, mine is a Mini 2.
That WAS close. When I had a mini 2 I can’t count the times I would get so focused on the subject while encircling it I would forget all about the obstacles. I was lucky, but, I know friends and fellow drone pilots that have sent their mini 2s’ to the graveyard. I can guarantee many of our members can recall the same.

Safe and Fun flying
🇨🇦👍

Reactions: Buel and Nanny Ogg
Based solely on my experience doing waypoints, yes it probably would have detected that pole. However, that was dangerously close to being in the drones left side blind spot. The mini 4 lacks side OA and it's very sketchy in detecting a side approach especially an object of that size, the closer the object is to being 90° from the front and back sensors while moving sideways.
That is bad information ...take a look at the specs
1722698445662.png

I believe the M4P would have detected it and stopped the Quickshot, then remained in hover where it was. A mini 2 could not do this.

As an M4P guy I still don't like quickshots for orbits, or even regular orbits, even if my craft can avoid collisions like this. I always use spotlight and / or cruise control instead, where I can change radius and altitude and gimbal on the fly as it orbits.

Last edited:
Wow, did that make you feel good?
I think you should read more carefully.
I don't know what you mean by did it make me feel good...I was just showing that it does actually have all directional OA..it seemed as though you thought it did not have that...did I misread your post?...what should I have read more carefully?

Wow, did that make you feel good?
I think you should read more carefully.

Totally missing what got under your skin here. You said thr M4P didn't have OA, wrong (bad information), and Mark posted the text from the manual with the correct information.

Does it hurt to be wrong? It shouldn't.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alphaagentleads