DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would this break any regulations?

Is this correct: when the DJI drone hits the 3 mile mark the drone just stops in mid air.- thus a geo fence. At that point you need to get airport approval and then DJI will release your drone to fly within the 3 mile area.

I know that when teh President was in Las Vegas a few weeks ago, a massive temporary flight restriction was imposed. (it was huge). My drone would start but it would not take off. Would give a warning that a flight restriction had been put in place.

This thread got off on a long discussion about FAA rules when the OP's main concern was launching from private property. The answer to that is don't do it unless you have permission and written permission would be best. Most private organizations whether schools, HOAs what-ever carry insurance to cover themselves should someone be injured. If their insurance does not cover this type of action or refuses to cover they are liable along with the pilot. And they will be sued if something happens. That is just the way lawyers work. Sue them all.

My understanding is that professional venues, i.e., NFL, NL, and other pro sports, solicit the FAA to designated the active venue as a NFZ during certain activities. Perhaps public schools can do the same?!? IDK!!! Just perhaps. For a public school system, to shut down a sport activity area, i.e., baseball field, football field, soccer field, etc., for practice, play, special use, should be a very possible viability. Any other time, the field may or may not be available for public usage. Some schools even go so far as to lock out visitors after school hours, under the guise of liability. (I envision some idiot climbing up the goal post in a football field just to hang a pair of dirty underwear.) (Then falling and trying to sue!, because it was accessible.) Some schools are also locking out as a result of having AstroTurf installed and simply wish to minimize potential damage. Now, all this locking out, in my understanding, does NOT, of course, control airspace, it controls ground level access. So, again, my understanding, unless there is a FAA sanctioned NO FLY ZONE, go for it! It also goes a long way to seek written permission from the school superintendent, school board, or other appropriate person/entity in position to grant permission (in writing).
That wouldn't technically be an NFZ but a no takeoff/land zone (NT/LZ). The grounds can't regulate airspace.
Upon further review, I stand corrected. The map I use merely show the area over public schools as advisory. During school hours, I would NOT be found there unless sanctioned by the school.

Bottom line-If you are using school property for Pop Warner or some other activity you will have insurance to cover your activity and permission of the school to do that. While schools grounds may be "public" as in public schools that does not mean that the general public can use those grounds for some activity without permission and insurance. If you are an AMA member (me) you have insurance that is secondary to your homeowners. You then need permission (written preferred) but getting that to fly an RC aircraft on school grounds will be near impossible. No lawyer for a school board is going to give that one a pass.

I belong to two RC clubs. Both have fields on county property. You can only imagine what hoops, insurance, and over sight it takes to keep them going. Both are within 5 miles of a major airport to add to the issues.

The controlling (ATC) tower grants permission, not the airport. (Please tell me if I am incorrect.) You contact the airport only to advise them you are in the area. FAA via the ATC tower grants permission.

Have you by any chance run across anything that may indicate the ball field as an NFZ. Many, many places keep their public school properties as NFZ.
Further review, shows I was NOT totally correct on statement. The schools are listed as advisory areas, not NFZs. Personally I would avoid school areas during session for obvious reasons.

If this is still about recreational flight, then no one grants permission. You are simply required to notify the airport operator and tower (if present) if you fly within 5 miles.

Seems I spend way more time reading here, reading TFR's and NOTAMS, and reading FAA laws then I do flying my drone. Can't they make it simple do this don't do that? Go Fly be safe

Around our area the schools are very open for people to use as long as school it not in session. People regularly use the ball fields for practice, and lots of kids go to the playgrounds at the elementary schools. I've flown many times in the ball fields (with no one using the fields), and the school personnel never do anything other than stand and watch. Maybe we're different here??

Reactions: TR Ganey
The first injury and lawsuit will change that. Most schools here have security and you cannot get past the locked gates. If you do you are warned of trespassing and if you fail to leave the police are called. There is no way to get onto grounds during school or after school without climbing a tall fence.

Only fences around schools around here are for the ball parks, to keep balls from rolling out in the creeks or roads. We do live in the country, and folks around here also tend to have a little more common sense.

Reactions: TR Ganey
Perhaps not as much common sense as there are fewer of those that don't. More of a percentage per population thing.

But think about it this way. Would you allow your property to be used by just anyone to practice sports, fly RC aircraft or any one of a number of things that if someone injures themselves, you or someone else and one of the injured decides to sue, you are holding the bag? Doing that is not common sense in my book.

When i read all the comments shout fear o f litigation i am thankful i live in a country where we have not gone down this path.

Dont get me wrong, i fear we are moving in that direction but for the average person sueing is the last consideration

1. Upon learning of the ball field belonging to the school district, You should cease operations immediately and seek the school district approval for take off and landing on their property.
2. You may traverse the ball field (when the field is vacant)(remember not to fly over people), but not take off or land without approval.
3. Notify the Airport and Control Tower of proposed flight plans: When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation. e-CFR Title 14 Part 101
Feel free to do internet search for your local tower and AP Ops Ctr.

the AMA Safety Policy may be found here: https://www.modelaircraft.org/sites/default/files/105.pdf

Note: Most school properties are a soft NFZ. Meaning they are not listed as NFZ but rather a cautionary area due to the higher than normal possibility of the presence of people.

FAA Rules for Recreational Flliers: Recreational Fliers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations

FAA Rules of the Sky: Airspace 101 – Rules of the Sky

Good for starters!!!

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078