DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would you buy a spark?

Of course it has limitations - we won't get anything capable of wide movements until they've got obstacle avoidance on all 6 sides.

Gesture control is one of Spark's selling points. It was Mavic's as well. I personally don't use it on my Mavic for 100% the reason you mentioned. I don't feel safe giving up control to Mavic's on board systems without 360 sensors on board. You never know if it moves sideways what object will be there (a branch or wall).

Of course, when flying in a greater altitude like 20-30m things are different but good shots, need a lower altitude (5-15m)

Last edited:
Do you the thing the gesture control has the smarts to abort a hand landing if you were to suddenly give it the bird in the last second, or does that just encourage it to go chop chop chop?

Seriously though, how does it prevent someone inadvertently sticking a finger into the props.

Maybe a used one later for cheaper.

I am BEYOND happy and have been with my Mavic which will run circles around this thing.

I am disappointed by the battery size and flight t

Reactions: larkin
Spark looks good fun but my Mavic is absolutely awesome and for £500 I can get me some goggles and go fpv flying....

The price knocked it out of consideration for me. The Mavic is so portable, but so powerful, and can do so many things most of the big drones can do (and even some more things than some big drones can do), I have no need for the Spark. IF it was $399 and worked with the Mavic controller, then maybe I'd be interested. But $499 for a drone that can go 100 feet, no thanks. And extra $200 for a dumbed down Mavic controller ? No thanks.

I like shiny new toys as much as the next guy, but I love my Mavic, have no need for a tinier drone that can do way less for $699. It would be a redundant purchase.

No offense to anybody, if I had $700 bucks just laying around expendable cash, I might do it, but I don't, I work hard for the money I make.
I totally agree, it is too pricey especially if you consider that nobody can fly it in a reliable way without a proper controller. I would not put in the air 500$ solely trusting on the waving of my hands and no 360 sensors.
I think that the gesture thing will for ever stay only an advertisement stunt. What could really change the market is a Wii like controller, like the PowerEgg. The gesture thing is and will stay forever only a nice party trick! I think that the law will soon start to forbid any flight mode that cannot be immediately interrupted by the pilot, kind of emergency break or kill switch.

From one of the videos I saw yesterday it looks like you need to activate the palm gesture mode with your phone before double tapping the power button to launch it.

IMO and I could be wrong, but I think the palm gesture mode is a cool party trick but like the gesture mode on the Mavic I wonder how many will actually use it. I know I used it once and never bothered with it again.

Reactions: PaoloOne
another vote for " no need for a Spark since I have the Mavic Pro"...but would like to see the new flight modes make their way to the Mavic platform...

I would have bought one if the Mavic controller worked with it, as I have 2. I see no advantage of the Spark over the Mavic. The size is not that different, yet you get a whole lot of short comings as compared to the Mavic. The price is too close for the lack of features on the Spark. I would still buy the Mavic over the Spark and don't envision actually wanting to fly the Spark over the Mavic. Mavic is faster, longer battery, longer range, more connectivity options, etc.

For someone who is a happy owner of Mavic the Spark is not an actual need. Maybe the next version of Spark could be more attractive to Mavic 1 owners

I think if it folded up like the MP then I might be more interested in it. I do kinda like the idea of pulling this thing out of my bag and hand launching it for a quick photo all via hand gestures.

It's kinda like they developed a product that's in between uses for most people. If you look at this as a selfie taking machine or even for taking quick pictures of landscapes or buildings or whatever then it's WAY overkill.

If you look at it as a drone then it's an entry level MP at best.

They need a super small device that can be hand launched and controlled within a 20 foot area for discrete picture taking. But the price needs to be more like $300-$400.

Spark is a very nice little drone. I expected 4K, and a better flight time. Those two disappointed me a little . We have to see how stable it flies against the wind, those propels look very tiny. Although I like it, having a Mavic covers my needs , at least for now. I really don't see a use for owning both. It's like owning an iPhone 6-6s-7 Plus (the 5.5 inch) and an iPad mini 7.9 inch. But it's good for DJI to have a drone at that price point and size.

That's a pretty good analogy. I went from iPhone 6 Plus to [iPhone 6s and iPad Mini 4]... to [iPhone 6s and iPad Pro 9.7"]. Now the iPad Mini 4 gathers dust (ok, until I got the Mavic!). That said, I overbuy everything so I'm getting a Spark too :)

Soooooo many people are buying Sparks for "funsies".

All I can say is I'm not sure what y'all do for work to have such disposable income but I feel like maybe my High School guidance counselor steered me in the wrong direction because this stuff is expensive!

Reactions: Clinton1
Soooooo many people are buying Sparks for "funsies".

All I can say is I'm not sure what y'all do for work to have such disposable income but I feel like maybe my High School guidance counselor steered me in the wrong direction because this stuff is expensive!

for many hobbies this is no money. nobody plays golf here?. You can easily spend $500 on a Callaway driver and that's just one club. You could easily spend this on a penn international reel for offshore fishing, hobbies are expensive. This little drone is not, in the grand scheme of things for many people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikon1 and Kilrah
I totally agree, it is too pricey especially if you consider that nobody can fly it in a reliable way without a proper controller. I would not put in the air 500$ solely trusting on the waving of my hands and no 360 sensors.
I think that the gesture thing will for ever stay only an advertisement stunt. What could really change the market is a Wii like controller, like the PowerEgg. The gesture thing is and will stay forever only a nice party trick! I think that the law will soon start to forbid any flight mode that cannot be immediately interrupted by the pilot, kind of emergency break or kill switch.
Your last sentence is something I never thought about, and you're probably correct. Makes a lot of sense. That being said, the law (meaning police officers) are so clueless about drones, as are most people. People have two reactions with drones. Some are curious, maybe most people. Others are so paranoid, "Hey he's spying on me, what about my privacy ?" Yet the drone is up 100-200 feet in the air and people look like ants from that height.

Reactions: PaoloOne
I'd get it If I had extra cash laying around. I wonder if Mavic's remote could be paired with the Spark.

I own a Mavic, SOLO and Karma and ordered Spark Combo --- all have different strengths but I can see taking my Mavic and Spark everywhere.

Here is a big PLUS for Spark --- its much less intimidating. Think about being at a park or somewhere with a lot of people. The Spark is not threatening. The Mavic and certainly the bigger copters can make people nervous.

Of course flying responsible is key but the Spark won't garnish many dirty looks in my opinion. The reaction may even be like a puppy where everyone curious.

I'll guess I'll find out in a few weeks! Pretty excited about it.

I own a Mavic, SOLO and Karma and ordered Spark Combo --- all have different strengths but I can see taking my Mavic and Spark everywhere.

Here is a big PLUS for Spark --- its much less intimidating. Think about being at a park or somewhere with a lot of people. The Spark is not threatening. The Mavic and certainly the bigger copters can make people nervous.

Of course flying responsible is key but the Spark won't garnish many dirty looks in my opinion. The reaction may even be like a puppy where everyone curious.

I'll guess I'll find out in a few weeks! Pretty excited about it.
Great answer ..that encapsulates what I've been thinking , but couldn't put my finger on.

Reactions: Nikon1
We're definitely looking forward to getting some time with the Spark and seeing how its features perform. A very neat unit without a doubt which we've already seen some pretty heavy demand for but the initial feedback we've been hearing from the community is that folks would prefer the better camera on the Mavic a drone as small as the Spark really is not all that necessary when the Mavic can fold its size and offer better imagery and flight time.

Reactions: peros550 and larkin
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acott