DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would you buy a spark?

No.
Too expensive for a toy, weak battery, weak camera, weak range. Having a Mavic i can't see the Spark being capable to replace it.
Would also like to see Dji policy in the next weeks (upgrades etc) before thinking to buy another Dji product.

Major long shot here but id get it only and only if the thing lets me use my Mavic controllet with it. Otherwise DJI aint getting no cash from me.

Shame its limbs don't fold. It really isn't any smaller than the mavic.
I think it just boils down to price/affordability when comparing the 2.
I do find the advert videos annoying...all the flying over people etc...its a far cry from what we are really allowed to/feel comfortable with doing.

I own a Mavic, SOLO and Karma and ordered Spark Combo --- all have different strengths but I can see taking my Mavic and Spark everywhere.

Here is a big PLUS for Spark --- its much less intimidating. Think about being at a park or somewhere with a lot of people. The Spark is not threatening. The Mavic and certainly the bigger copters can make people nervous.

Of course flying responsible is key but the Spark won't garnish many dirty looks in my opinion. The reaction may even be like a puppy where everyone curious.

I'll guess I'll find out in a few weeks! Pretty excited about it.

Gotta ask, what is the Karma good at? ;-)

With you on the park or near people thing. I did think the Mavic would be less intimidating for people, its smaller and is easier to setup than a Phantom, but it does not take off from the palm of your hand and it does look like something out of a scifi movie which works against it in the cutsie stakes.

Reactions: larkin
I would have bought one if the Mavic controller worked with it, as I have 2. I see no advantage of the Spark over the Mavic. The size is not that different, yet you get a whole lot of short comings as compared to the Mavic. The price is too close for the lack of features on the Spark. I would still buy the Mavic over the Spark and don't envision actually wanting to fly the Spark over the Mavic. Mavic is faster, longer battery, longer range, more connectivity options, etc.

I agree with this totally.... DJI could have enticed many of us to get the Spark for the family or as a spare if the controller was cross compatible.

I agree with this totally.... DJI could have enticed many of us to get the Spark for the family or as a spare if the controller was cross compatible.
I certainly would've been more interested if my Mavic controller worked with the Spark.

They are killing themselves by not making things play across platforms. I think they should make a controller than universally works with their entire drone line.

Yes. Although it is probably $100 over priced it fits a very important niche for me. I own a Mavic and a couple Tiny Whoops. The Spark is a great in between quad and offers two things that neither the Mavic or Tiny Whoops can provide.

1) I am looking for a small backyard FPV quad (speed not important) that I can zoom around the yard or park without disturbing anyone. Most options for this are about $300-$400 without a controller and only give around 7 minute flight times. The Spark is definitely slower but gives twice as much flight time, has much longer range and provides better video transmission. The Spark is magnitudes better than other options in this space based on what I want (not necessarily what others would want).

2) An even more compact drone to carry literally everywhere that offers the ability to get a few minute video of whatever I am near. As an example, I was in Hilton Head at the lighthouse and would have loved to get a quick video of that. Even with the Mavic being relatively small, it is still intimidating to a lot of people, so I didn't bring it out and missed a great opportunity. I think the Spark would have been great in this situation. I think most people will view it as just a toy that can't really hurt anything, and wouldn't think twice if I launched it for a quick video.

On top of these you get everything else the Spark offers. I think the price is fair (not cheap) for what you get. My pre-order has been in since about a minute after they launched on their website.

Reactions: Nikon1
Ordered Wednesday as soon as I could, then cancelled on Thursday when I realized it is very overpriced for it's feature set. Besides, my Mavic is much more capable, and a much better value IMO.

I bought the Zerotech Dobby a few months back and while fun and packed with all kinds of things it could do, it is nowhere close to what the Mavic Pro has and is capable of. I know its not a DJI Spark, but both were designed for the same type of consumer usability. While the Spark seems to be light years ahead of the Dobby, my "selfie" drone has sat in its case since I bought my MP. The Dobby was fun to learn with and introduced me to GPS stability, downward sensing, various flight modes, and RTH features, but the novelty wore out quickly and my MP can do the same thing along with a whole host of more advanced settings, flight modes, and usability.

I'll save my $$$.

I bought one. Fly more combo. Already have two Mavic's. Don't ask. Spark will be fun for close in and a lot less intrusive around people. Next year expect one half the size of the spark. I'm gonna buy that one too. Lol

Yes. Although it is probably $100 over priced it fits a very important niche for me. I own a Mavic and a couple Tiny Whoops. The Spark is a great in between quad and offers two things that neither the Mavic or Tiny Whoops can provide.

1) I am looking for a small backyard FPV quad (speed not important) that I can zoom around the yard or park without disturbing anyone. Most options for this are about $300-$400 without a controller and only give around 7 minute flight times. The Spark is definitely slower but gives twice as much flight time, has much longer range and provides better video transmission. The Spark is magnitudes better than other options in this space based on what I want (not necessarily what others would want).

2) An even more compact drone to carry literally everywhere that offers the ability to get a few minute video of whatever I am near. As an example, I was in Hilton Head at the lighthouse and would have loved to get a quick video of that. Even with the Mavic being relatively small, it is still intimidating to a lot of people, so I didn't bring it out and missed a great opportunity. I think the Spark would have been great in this situation. I think most people will view it as just a toy that can't really hurt anything, and wouldn't think twice if I launched it for a quick video.

On top of these you get everything else the Spark offers. I think the price is fair (not cheap) for what you get. My pre-order has been in since about a minute after they launched on their website.
Good points and I agree. I still think though that they need an even smaller device that's completely limited to something like 300 feet elevation and/or 300 feet away from the user for this type of application.

By the way... I was at Hilton Head this past weekend. We stayed right on the Harbour and I got out at 7am two mornings for good footage of both the golf course and the harbour. So I know exactly what you mean. I was very hesitant to fire up the MP in the middle of the day because I felt like people would be nervous about it. My Hilton Head video is in the Photo/Video forum if you're interested.

I would look into the Connex for a HD video capable racer.

Connex Falcore HD Racing Drone Package

Definitely looks like a fun little drone! I've added it to the DJI store cart a couple of times, but I have talked myself out of it for the following reasons.
-No Raw support or Picture Profiles.
-According to the specs on the DJI webpage it's closest focusing distance is 2m versus .5m for the Mavic Pro.
-Shorter battery life
-Dimensions: 143×143×55 mm (Spark) vs 83mm x 83mm x 198mm (folded Mavic Pro) Based on the dimensions not sure that it's that much more portable than the folded MP. However, the smaller batteries should help when packing.
-Roughly the same price as DJI Googles. I would rather have the Googles right now instead of two drones.
-I'm ecstatic about the performance and feature set of my 3 week old Mavic Pro.

I agree with the MP being a bit intimidating to regular folk despite its smaller size. I think this is where the Spark could really cool. Its about the size of the dinky "selfie drones" out there but its definitely a much more advanced aircraft.

Strongly considering gettting one now lol

Reactions: peros550
Its got about half the battery life and 2kms as opposed to 7kms on the Mavic, I would have thought theyd stay with ocusync, its very good , better for me and no interference i.e. if you go too close to a car with the TX with P4 I had before .
If it was 499 with TX id get one but i don't want to fly 100m with wifi and my phone I like the long range and sticks! Should have released it with a transmitter , much more attractive

Reactions: dewster
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661