DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would you buy a spark?

No point ordering for me. Don't see the need of it since I have a Mavic already (and a few toy drones) and I feel like it would be a step back. If I were to spend more money, it would be spent on something better than what I have.

Ordered one as it is perfect for me...simple to operate without a remote control and simple to get 30 sec edited video. Who really wants to watch these boring drone videos that go on and on. Not me. I want to get short videos of fishing adventures and hiking trips, and don't want to have to spend so much time editing.

Ordered the Mavic and was really impressed with it, but didn't have the time to edit all the footage. A local YouTube guy having trouble finding the Fly More Combo made me an offer I couldn't refuse right after Christmas. I was hoping for a gesture based drone that shot decent photos and videos, and this fits the bill. DJI seems to be the leader in this small, stable drone category. Let's hope they don't delay our shipments.

Reactions: Turnerm
The price knocked it out of consideration for me. The Mavic is so portable, but so powerful, and can do so many things most of the big drones can do (and even some more things than some big drones can do), I have no need for the Spark. IF it was $399 and worked with the Mavic controller, then maybe I'd be interested. But $499 for a drone that can go 100 feet, no thanks. And extra $200 for a dumbed down Mavic controller ? No thanks.

I like shiny new toys as much as the next guy, but I love my Mavic, have no need for a tinier drone that can do way less for $699. It would be a redundant purchase.

No offense to anybody, if I had $700 bucks just laying around expendable cash, I might do it, but I don't, I work hard for the money I make.

Ordered one as it is perfect for me...simple to operate without a remote control and simple to get 30 sec edited video. Who really wants to watch these boring drone videos that go on and on. Not me. I want to get short videos of fishing adventures and hiking trips, and don't want to have to spend so much time editing.

Ordered the Mavic and was really impressed with it, but didn't have the time to edit all the footage. A local YouTube guy having trouble finding the Fly More Combo made me an offer I couldn't refuse right after Christmas. I was hoping for a gesture based drone that shot decent photos and videos, and this fits the bill. DJI seems to be the leader in this small, stable drone category. Let's hope they don't delay our shipments.

You know the whole editing thing with DJI GO has existed for a couple of years, if you click the editor button in your DJI GO now you'll see automatically generated movies which you can tweak.

Good point. I hadn't even considered the uses you are bringing up. I can see the appeal of this for sure.

Ordered the Fly More package and it will live in my car's hatch for those unexpected "Oh crap, I wish I had my Mavic" moments.

YMMV

nah, the spark is a dumbed down Mavic, with a 1080p camera and terrible battery duration and range.
I mean its cool and if you dont have a drone is great, but if you have a mavic is like buying a ford after owning a lambo.

You are right. Drone videos are quite boring. There isnt much technique anymore and everyone just stares at the tilted horizons.
This would be the best suited drone for youtubers who like it close and personal. Come to think of it, I am in none of my Mavic vids.
You can take off in 30 secs and NOT without the need to pair to a device. Just simply hand gestures and done.
1080p is good for editing.
I think i would just get it without the controller ($849 AUD is pretty pricey).

The problem with this drone will be the snatch and grab. There is no security and with tiny folderable blades, opportunist may take advantage if they know its a Spark.

if only they made the mavic controller compatible with the spark, i might get one.

If I was looking to buy my first drone I'd have definitely been interested in the Spark (the Mavic was a bit pricey for something I wasn't sure about) or would consider it as an additional drone if I had a larger Phantom or similar. It seems a cool little drone but I can't see any use for me as an addition to the Mavic.

John

Reactions: stratos
if only they made the mavic controller compatible with the spark, i might get one.

I was wondering if they'd be compatible as it would make sense to tempt Mavic owners to add the Spark to their collection if they didn't need to buy another controller.

John

DJI looks more and more like Apple. Smart looking gadgets with tech that "fits into" a product line, where each item lack that last notch, to make it a no brainer.

Who in a 2017 4K World would release a 1080 drone and expect people to buy it, because you can use your hand movement to control it? DJI I guess.. I wouldn't touch the Spark with a stick. DJI already have the small bodied Mavic Pro with a so-so camera for heaven's sake!

But here's the good news: This leaves the market wide open for competitors. The first one that comes out with a spectacular 4K camera drone in a small form factor that flies as well as the Mavic under $1200 - will annihilate anything from the Mavic Pro to Inspire 1 2.0.

If at the same time this competitor refuse to make consumers comply with arbitrary decisions that they'll throttle the product you paid for, if you don't register (imagine if Apple did the same) then I think we got a real winner!

I'll wait for that winner, personally.

Reactions: wayy510
This may sound stupid, but considering the size and all, I would wish that DJI would allow UNRESTRICTED flight at all locations when using wifi mode or better yet when using palm gesture mode.
This would please those who live in NFZ zones and for those who just need a quick selfie.
Can a drone this size and weight, limited to 20-30m height @ 6mph (wifi mode) kill anyone??

DJI looks more and more like Apple. Smart looking gadgets with tech that "fits into" a product line, where each item lack that last notch, to make it a no brainer.

Who in a 2017 4K World would release a 1080 drone and expect people to buy it, because you can use your hand movement to control it? DJI I guess.. I wouldn't touch the Spark with a stick. DJI already have the small bodied Mavic Pro with a so-so camera for heaven's sake!

But here's the good news: This leaves the market wide open for competitors. The first one that comes out with a spectacular 4K camera drone in a small form factor that flies as well as the Mavic under $1200 - will annihilate anything from the Mavic Pro to Inspire 1 2.0.

If at the same time this competitor refuse to make consumers comply with arbitrary decisions that they'll throttle the product you paid for, if you don't register (imagine if Apple did the same) then I think we got a real winner!

I'll wait for that winner, personally.

imagine if Apple did the same

Not to argue your whole post, but the example you quote is inaccurate. If you buy an iPhone or iPad, you have to register it or you can not activate or use it.

Just saying.

imagine if Apple did the same

Not to argue your whole post, but the example you quote is inaccurate. If you buy an iPhone or iPad, you have to register it or you can not activate or use it.

Just saying.
The difference is, when you buy an Apple product you know you have to register it before use. They don't come running afterwards and tell you they'll make sure to throttle your expensive device down to a few basic functions, if you don't register or update.

Reactions: Robbyg and Nikon1

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev