DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would you do it?

Izzy1965

Reactions
Responded to an ad for a Mavic pro fly away for a couple of hundred bucks. I went to check it out. A decent couple who by chance found a fly away mavic pro with depleted battery while hiking. They're not into drones and has no idea whatsoever. I went to check it out and there is a small nick on the landing front leg. Installed my battery and it turned on. I didn't attempt to link my rc with the mavic though. I know how the original feels about his lost and maybe, I can be able to trace by checking the flight logs. I am really thinking of purchasing this to return to the original owner and of course to get a reimbursement lol. What would you do if you're in my position?

Responded to an ad for a Mavic pro fly away for a couple of hundred bucks. I went to check it out. A decent couple who by chance found a fly away mavic pro with depleted battery while hiking. They're not into drones and has no idea whatsoever. I went to check it out and there is a small nick on the landing front leg. Installed my battery and it turned on. I didn't attempt to link my rc with the mavic though. I know how the original feels about his lost and maybe, I can be able to trace by checking the flight logs. I am really thinking of purchasing this to return to the original owner and of course to get a reimbursement lol. What would you do if you're in my position?
You are a good person. Seems the serial number on the AC may help. Not sure how, or who to contact.

Reactions: old man mavic
Absolutely I would!

Good luck and keep us posted :)

although what you propose is a very noble thing to do there is no guarantee that even if you could trace the owner that they would be prepared to reimburse you for your trouble.

that does not mean that i think you should not give it a try and i admire you for that

Last edited:
I would do the same thing. It should have an FAA license number on it which will make finding the owner easy.

Reactions: Gindra and Izzy1965
although what you propose is a very noble thing to do there is no guarantee that even if you could trace the owner that they would be prepared to reimburse you for your trouble
True! But I can hold it for them until they can. Or perhaps, just perhaps, if I’m in the right mood, I may just hand it back. ? Life’s been pretty fair lately afterall.

Post the serial number and location/date details. request proof of ownership and finders fee I guess??

Cheers

That would be great if you can find them I’m sure you would get your money back and a hug I know I would be happy if it was mine.....

I would do the same thing. It should have an FAA license number on it which will make finding the owner easy.
why people don’t put their contact info on their drone is beyond me and to not have the faa number on the drone is a violation it’s almost like they really don’t care if they lose their drone?

why people don’t put their contact info on their drone is beyond me and to not have the faa number on the drone is a violation it’s almost like they really don’t care if they lose their drone?

This. If they couldn't be bothered to do either or both they don't deserve to get it back.

True! But I can hold it for them until they can. Or perhaps, just perhaps, if I’m in the right mood, I may just hand it back. ? Life’s been pretty fair lately afterall.
While you may not get reimbursed from the owner KARMA will reimburse you 100 fold...good people are a true rarity in today's world...be safe, fly smart!

My 1st drone, a S550 Hexacopter DIY kit, with 3 axis gimbal & a gopro clone, running on an APM Flight controller, decided to fly away completely out of control about 5 or 6 years ago.
I'm still hoping someone see's the footage on the camera and returns it!! Just so I could hopefully view the logs to see what went wrong? I flew that thing well over 100 flights successfully.
It had GPS, I hit RTH but it kept going, then it should of returned once radio contact was lost, and low battery fail-safe too, but nothing.........Searched for days with nothing found.
I still think about it when I fly in that direction.......

I'd buy it and try to return it. What I have come to know of the integrity from the members of this forum, is solidarity and camaraderie. The sympathy we feel for someone losing there drone ripples thru this forum like a wave. Try to get it back to the owner.

Reactions: mereflyer
I'd do the same. It would be a great surprise for the sad owner. I did the same when I had a message from a lady to say that she had found my drone. In fact she'd found a drone I had sold on ebay, but with my address label still on it. Happily it was reunited with the new owner.

Good p[olicy to stick your contact detail sticker on all your valuables.

Good p[olicy to stick your contact detail sticker on all your valuables.
I'm going to do this as soon as I get home . . . awesome advise!

Maybe I missed it in the posts, but what is the actual requested purchase price? $200.00?
After experiencing a flyaway, I would be very happy to have someone go through the trouble of buying it and tracking me down to return it, for a reasonable price.
Kudos to you for the effort.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird